2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2015 (Read 16 times)

Dutchie42

MTA: I just realized March was my highest mileage month ever at 200 miles!!  So I've just run the most in a week and the most in a month that I ever have. What this really tells me is I need to be extra watchful that I don't overdo it somehow. So far everything feels pretty good.

Awesome: celebrate! And yes, be careful you don't overdo it or burn out.

Who's doing an Easter run?

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

I am! Hoping for 12 miles tomorrow, not sure if it will be inside or out. It's pretty (rain) stormy right now, but I'm getting a lot of knitting done.

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Did my Easter run: a whopping 5.67 kilometers 't was a crappy run, but the gorgeous morning made it alright   Now off to bake a carrot cake as requested by my sons. They do all the other baking and cooking, so I get of easy

Ayola: enjoy your run. Didn't know you knitted. Are you on Ravelry?

HAPPY EASTER everyone

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Happy Easter!  Glad your efforts were rewarded by a beautiful morning, Dutchie. That can make all the difference. You're doing great! You'll build back up in time. It's inevitable if you keep at it.

Enjoy your run today, Ayola; and let us know how it goes.

I'll be running about 10 miles today on the road for day two of this weekend's B2B2B.  I should be fully loaded with carbs and salt after all the pizza I overate last night

DH and I ran about 14.5 on the trail yesterday which took 3 hrs 15 min.  It took about the first third for my legs to feel loosen up and feel normal; the second third felt great!; and the last third was an exercise in sheer willpower.

DH said his legs felt perfectly fine (of course); but the length of the run was a challenge for him. He had a bonk at about 2 hours (lightheaded, legs unstable). So we walked a bit; he ate a bit and recovered. Then he said he felt fine, but that the last hour he was really tired. He's still learning what fueling strategy will work for him.

MTA: I have a heart rate question for those who know anything about this stuff. I've read that monitoring your morning resting heart rate is a good way to tell if your body is stressed out from running and needs some more recovery before another hard effort (if it's up 5-10 bpm).  I've been checking mine for about the past week, using finger on pulse and counting, which may not be accurate but seems to be the same every time. This morning I decided to use DH's HRM and found that my HR was #1 lower than what I usually count and #2 not static.  For example, it floated between 38 and 44, with long holds on 38 and 40. Is it normal for it to fluctuate like that? How do I know what number to use for monitoring purposes?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Happy:disclaimer: I don't know how accurate the information still is my doctors have told me over the years, or how insights have changed. I haven't seen a cardiologist in over a decade if not longer, though I do see a sports physician every 3 years or so. They monitor my HR while doing a stress test on a bike over a 20 min period. I've been having arithmias for nearly 34 years now so I know a teeny weeny little about heart rates. But I'm speaking purely from my own personal experience and what doctors have told me about my situation. Maybe others can also chime in.

It is normal for your HR to fluctuate a little while taking your resting HR. Your own breathing can cause it when you take a deeper breath than normal, when you sigh, talk, etc. Holding your breath subconsciously or slight movements can also cause fluctuation or when you watch an exciting segment in a tv serie episode. And your heart can literally skip a beat sometimes. Nothing to worry about.

How long did you measure for? And do you know what your avg morning HR is? Taking your pulse for a minute is only an indication of what your HR is (at that moment in time). Looking at the trend over a period of time would be more helpful, ie following what your HR is every morning after your (long) run over an extended period.At the same time, so is looking at your avg HR for certain mileage on the same course over an extended period of time. Is it dropping, the same or increasing? So for me, my avgHR should drop in the next few weeks as I'm getting used to the 5K distance and then plateau.

Also, how accurate is the HRM your hubby uses?

When you count your pulse you are noticing the beat in your veins, which is not 100% the same as your HR I've been told. There can be deviations in the strength of your heart beat. When you feel for a pulse in your wrist or neck, fatty tissue can make it more difficult to feel the less stronger beats in your veins. Also dependent on how close to the surface the vein is.

Slow resting HR of 50-60 for a female is good. A slower HR can be an indication of an enlarged heart (what we overhere call a sports heart, not sure what you'd call it), which is not always considered a good thing and should be checked.

Your resting HR can indicate whether you've recovered enough or not, but don't forget all kinds of stressors can influence your heart rate, like a bad's night sleep or lack of sleep quality, worrying, job stress, having a cold, etc..

Not sure I answered your question

Dutchie

Dutchie - Yup, I'm ayola on Ravelry as well - I just have a few projects posted not all of my wacky knit hats.

Early Monday morning...yesterday's run went well. 90 minutes outside around -5*C kinda my cold limit to start along the waterfront. It was blindingly bright which was great after so many cloudy days. The very happy runners were making loops up and down (it's about a one mile boardwalk and an industrial mile by the cargo ships ) very few could navigate the park which is linked at the very south end of halifax, as it  was very icy. I started to fade by the end, and I didn't bring water or a snack (not smart) I went inside for a very easy  45 minutes on the treadmill warmed up and rehydrated. Knees were wobbly by the end, slightly under 11.

I had a very busy afternoon preparing Easter dinner and was fast asleep by 7:30! And I slept deeply through until my regular wake up time 5:30.  Wonderful. Shows I needed that recovery (is that good or bad?) knees and the bad hamstring are very tired but not sore, I'm not used to the roads yet. Also noticed both of my shoes are +300 miles, I'll look for a new pair next weekend - going home to New York for a visit.

Happy - I tried my heart rate this morning (48 which is low for me - must have been the 10 hours of awesome sleep) and it fluctuated by 4 beats while testing, seems totally normal. When I was monitoring regularly, the number would go up if I was tired or had a light cold. I found it would go up if I woke up by alarm.

28.5 of 30 planned miles, last week. I'm happy with that. Less miles this week - travelling .

A

Recalculating...

Pictures from my last 100

12 km in, location of first checkpoint

My team at CP1. Leon, Me, Rachael and Elaine. Leon's longest training run was 5.5 km the previous Monday.  The other 2 had a 30 km training walk done within the last month.  Under trained is an understatement.

1st big climb done, looking back down to CP1

Checkpoint 2 is just along the beach. 21 km.

Still all happy at about 38 km

The highest point in the race, looking down to the finish line by the lake front.  Unfortunately we still had about 55 km to go

Just before 1/2 way we had a light shower of rain pass over.  The result was this awesome rainbow.
                everyone perked up after this.

Over halfway.  45 km to go

2 hours later it got dark. So all the other photos are poorly lit and blurry. Probably just as well.

They would have looked a bit messy. :-)

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

MTA: I have a heart rate question for those who know anything about this stuff. I've read that monitoring your morning resting heart rate is a good way to tell if your body is stressed out from running and needs some more recovery before another hard effort (if it's up 5-10 bpm).  I've been checking mine for about the past week, using finger on pulse and counting, which may not be accurate but seems to be the same every time. This morning I decided to use DH's HRM and found that my HR was #1 lower than what I usually count and #2 not static.  For example, it floated between 38 and 44, with long holds on 38 and 40. Is it normal for it to fluctuate like that? How do I know what number to use for monitoring purposes?

I gave up monitoring my heart rate.  Created too much worry :-)

My resting is about 50 to 60, depending on the day.  But had heard that it does change based on how fatigued you are.

Looks like some good runs over Easter. Finished your B2B2B Happy?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I gave up monitoring my heart rate.  Created too much worry :-)

My resting is about 50 to 60, depending on the day.  But had heard that it does change based on how fatigued you are.

Looks like some good runs over Easter. Finished your B2B2B Happy?

I'm going to throw in with you on this, Puke. After reading Dutchie's detailed information, it appears much more complicated than I thought and my interest in it is not serious enough for me to dive into it. I went back to my finger on pulse method this morning and it was 42 like it always is whenever I check it.

Tonight will be my 3rd run, completing my second B2B2B. My plan for this weekend was 15-12-10; but my Garmin lost its mind in the tree canopy and I had some math and miles confusion; so I ended up with 14.5 and 11 for the first two. Close enough.  I feel good this morning, but need to log off while I still have time to do my yoga/pilates workout before work.

Thanks for posting the photos, Puke! Those are GREAT!!!

MTA: Everyone is so photogenic and the composition of the group in the photos looks like you had a professional photographer posing you. Did you??  DH and I sometimes take some pics of each other when we're out trail running and we look like complete dorks!

I'll write more later.

Wow, how do you train for a 100km walk? I wonder if I could manage that?

I love the terrain and all of those smiles.

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Finished this "weekend's" B2B2B tonight. The full 10 miles - whew. Almost reduced it to 8 miles due to a number of different factors; but when DH bailed out after 3, I figured what the hell. The last quarter-mile, it was hard to keep the feet from just SLAPPING the ground - ever had that? Once I noticed I was doing it, I decided to NOT do it. That was hard. The good news is I'm not having any problems other than tired. So - yay running!   Glass of wine and cheese raviolis now; then bed!

HappyFeat

Not sure I answered your question

Completely! Great info, Dutchie. Thanks a ton for elaborating so fully on it.  It's very interesting, but not something I drawn to really monitoring. Someone had asked me about my B2B2B sets and whether I'd monitored my resting HR to see if it changed. That's what started the ball rolling.

Dutchie42

Another 5K on the TM. Woke up late so skipped the outdoor run. It's quicker to just hop on the machine upstairs. And my avghR was now 166 so it is dropping. Which is a good sigh that my overall fitness is improving, and the running is getting easier Feels easier anyways.

Great pics Puke. Gorgeous scenery. Can your friends still walk this morning?

Aiming for 3x5K runs per week this month. Plus my usual strength training.

Dutchie

Thanks for posting the photos, Puke! Those are GREAT!!!

MTA: Everyone is so photogenic and the composition of the group in the photos looks like you had a professional photographer posing you. Did you??  DH and I sometimes take some pics of each other when we're out trail running and we look like complete dorks!

The photos were just snaps taken by whoever happened to be walking past.  In saying that I still failed to get the side on stance going unlike the ladies.....

Usually I look like a complete dork too.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Wow, how do you train for a 100km walk? I wonder if I could manage that?

I love the terrain and all of those smiles.

I guess it should be similar to a 24 hour run where you just build up time on your feet.

But as my colleagues discovered it is more mental than physical.  I just had to keep them focused on the positives.

Although blisters almost ruined it for one of the team.

MTA of course you can do it A......you just have to want to.

Goals 2016

Do stuff