2000Km-1243 mile club

Estimating VO2 max (Read 205 times)

...---...

Fighting the technical and scientific impulses in me to go get my VO2 max measured, I wonder if I could get a decent estimate without spending the $$$ for a lab/doctor visit/testing. I've read a few sources on measuring your estimated VO2 max but can't seem to find much info regarding exactly how inaccurate it could be. Any recommendations on methods or comments about the procedure of "doing it myself?"

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

BaldMike

I am fighting getting it done in a lab too. If I find anything I will let you know, but really think the lab is the only best way for me.
      PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.

...---...

I was afraid of that.Thanks Mike.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not so fast. Lots of ways to estimate it w/o going to a lab, including one calculator here at RA: http://www.runningahead.com/tools/calculators/vo2max Use a recent, high quality race or other all-out effort to get your estimate. Other sites with VO2max calculators and info: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm http://www.runningforfitness.org/index.php http://www.health-calc.com/content/blogcategory/1/2/ Out of curiosity, why do you need to know? BTW, probably more important than VO2max itself is vVO2max, your velocity at VO2max. VO2max is just a number, but vVO2max takes your efficiency into account. To determine vVO2max, run 6 minutes all out (preferably on a track). Based on the distance covered, figure out your pace. That's vVO2max. Some good vVO2max workouts include 6x200m at vVO2max, equal time recoveries 6x400m at vVO2max, equal time recoveries and the Big Kahuna, 5x3 minutes at vVO2max, equal time recoveries. However, you won't get the full bang for the buck out of these type of workout unless you've built up a strong aerobic base. So be sure you're running lots of easy miles. Building up mileage will bring more improvements than limited mileage with speedwork, in my opinion. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

...---...

Jeff - There isn't a pressing need to know as a result of some potential medical issue etc...just curious. I've been wondering how much more I could expect to improve at running much longer distances and how much more of sustained faster pacing I could potentially have bottled up inside, unleashed, untapped. So really, I'm tempering both short and long term expectations by considering key indicator or predictor type data. I just got a litle quarterly bonus and so now can afford a decent HR monitor. I'm a technophile so I've holding out buying one until I could get it with the bells and whistles. But I digress. By measuring my VO2 max, I'm looking at "where I am" at this phase in my running. Thanks for the links and the I had not heard of vVO2 max so thanks for teaching me something. If it's true the vVO2 max is probably a more imortant data to know, I'll probably look to test for that data instead. If you think of anything else, I'm open to suggestions/recommendations.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Oh, and Jeff, I'm not really looking to do much speed work right now so maybe VO2 or vVO2 max isn't going to be very significant for me at this stage. The work outs you mention look painful.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12