3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

September 2013 Racing Thread (Read 60 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Damn. That sucks. Get healthy dude.

Yes, this.  Sorry, spaniel.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Damn. That sucks. Get healthy dude.

Thanks.  I was moving along pretty evenly at 6:45 until they turned us onto a loose dirt trail for a mile...things went badly very quickly from that and did not clear up once we were back on the pavement.

I did get to see WG before the start, so there's that.

BTW, whoever decided to advertise this as "fast and flat" needs their head examined.  I am sure there are much hillier ones, but this was the hilliest road marathon I have actually run.

Well, at least I quit before I tore myself up bad so I can jump right into training for Carmel coming up in April.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Thanks.  I was moving along pretty evenly at 6:45 until they turned us onto a loose dirt trail for a mile...things went badly very quickly from that and did not clear up once we were back on the pavement.

I did get to see WG before the start, so there's that.

BTW, whoever decided to advertise this as "fast and flat" needs their head examined.  I am sure there are much hillier ones, but this was the hilliest road marathon I have actually run.

Well, at least I quit before I tore myself up bad so I can jump right into training for Carmel coming up in April.  Smile

Well, that sucks. At least you won't have any regrets about what could have been. If your body isn't recovered and ready for the distance there isn't much you can do about it.

Feeling the growl again

Well, that sucks. At least you won't have any regrets about what could have been. If your body isn't recovered and ready for the distance there isn't much you can do about it.

+1, but I have to ride myself, so now I've been wondering if I'd just done it in trainers if that would have put it off.  Big grin

Off to noodle on what I am going to do to train/rehab this.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

an amazing likeness

MilkTruck, Sept 8, Applecrest Half, 13.1 mi, Hampton NH,  1:43:59

Nope.  Posted a 1:44:37.  I'm getting steadily slower at every race distance....hmm...age? Poor training regime?  Don't know. Confused

Beautiful course. Steady hills the whole way. Delicious apple pie and ice cream at finish. You MA folks ought to put this one on your list..it's only about 10 minutes from the Hampton tolls on I95 in NH.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Not to kick a guy when he's down, but you do have another marathon to worry about before Carmel.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Not to kick a guy when he's down, but you do have another marathon to worry about before Carmel.

Fuck.  Well, at least I don't have to bother training for that one, since I can't and all.

2:58:37 at Lehigh Valley. Obviously very happy. It was a good day.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations, GK!

steph  

Awesome!  First of many sub 3's to come Big grin

Superior  trail 50 (52 according to the race site) - 10:07:31 and 3rd OA official results.  That was tough but good training for my 100 miler in October.

kcam

Congratulations Kevin and flatfooter. Solid performances out there today.

... and for the fails ..

Biggest fail - me with a really dumb race to come in 1:04:12 and 4th in my AG.  It was hot/humid this morning and I went out at PR pace and paid the price, f'ing stupid.  I faded pretty good, by mile 5 I knew I had made a mistake in trying to go close to PR pace in the morning's weather.  Gotta learn to take what is given and not run stupidly.  1st in AG was 1:00:25 (I wasn't beating him) but 2,3 & 4 (me) in my AG finished 19,20 & 21 overall.  I didn't even know I was that close to those guys.  They finished 15 and 32 sec ahead of me.  I sure wish we had some way of knowing who our competition is, if I'da known could I have gone a little faster to catch and stay with em?  Who knows?

Spaniel, hell man nothing to say except you gotta get that hip ready to go.  Sorry it acted up on you again.

Milktruck - I've posted some clunkers lately and at mile 8 of today's race I was sure questioning what the hell I've been doing all summer!  "Maybe I'm just getting too old", etc.  After thinking some more, today was just one of those bad-pacing decision days.  I wasn't going to approach my PR no matter what I did today, the best I could have done was pace a little smarter and I probably could have gotten 2nd in my AG.  I ain't giving up yet!  Gotta keep plugging.  Oh, and apple pie and ice cream would have hit the spot for me today.  Sounds like a good race there.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Run For The Woods 10K - 1:10:48 - Way more technical than I've ever done before.  About a mile on gravel covered dirt roads, then the rest was single track through the woods, up and down steep climbs, and even including a scramble up a rock ledge at one point.  Really a fun race, though.

Feeling the growl again

A good day indeed.  Nice run!

an amazing likeness

Holy cow, that's impressive. Nice work Kevin!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.