3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

September 2013 Racing Thread (Read 60 times)

xhristopher

Nope.  Posted a 1:44:37.  I'm getting steadily slower at every race distance....hmm...age? Poor training regime?  Don't know. Confused

Beautiful course. Steady hills the whole way. Delicious apple pie and ice cream at finish. You MA folks ought to put this one on your list..it's only about 10 minutes from the Hampton tolls on I95 in NH.

Hey MT, About that wonder about getting steadily slower...

You, like me, seem to be like to run at least a race a month. I'm now on a 24 month streak of this nonsense. Lately I'm starting to worry if I can still show up "mentally hungry" like I used to. Is this diet of steady racing dulling my game? I'm talking about that last percent or two that I don't get from training, that race magic. It's been a while since I've sensed real race magic. Yeah, I can show up and run hard and get a decent result but I don't feel like I'm bringing that x factor lately.

Right now my calendar has me likely racing the next three weekends (only one a real performance goal) and a race a month already scheduled through January. I'm really wondering where and when I'll "bring it." I'm just halfway hoping I get fitter so I get faster. I'm not burned out on racing and don't want to pull any events from my calendar. In fact, I'd probably add more If I had time.

Can you relate to this or is it just me? If you can, might it be something other than getting older?

Feeling the growl again

Hey MT, About that wonder about getting steadily slower...

You, like me, seem to be like to run at least a race a month. I'm now on a 24 month streak of this nonsense. Lately I'm starting to worry if I can still show up "mentally hungry" like I used to. Is this diet of steady racing dulling my game? I'm talking about that last percent or two that I don't get from training, that race magic. It's been a while since I've sensed real race magic. Yeah, I can show up and run hard and get a decent result but I don't feel like I'm bringing that x factor lately.

Right now my calendar has me likely racing the next three weekends (only one a real performance goal) and a race a month already scheduled through January. I'm really wondering where and when I'll "bring it." I'm just halfway hoping I get fitter so I get faster. I'm not burned out on racing and don't want to pull any events from my calendar. In fact, I'd probably add more If I had time.

Can you relate to this or is it just me? If you can, might it be something other than getting older?

If you find yourself getting stale and slowing down after several months of racing, it is possible that you've just reached the limit of whatever training you are doing and are on the downslope.  Time for a few weeks off and then to cycle back through base, strength and speed cycles.

Newer runners can go for long periods of time and just get better and better off virtually any training.  But once you've been at it a good while this nice experience goes away.  Sooner or later the body will stop responding to whatever you are doing to it, and you need to build up again then re-introduce the higher-intensity stimuli.  Mental racing fatigue often goes hand-in-hand with the physical components.

That said, a race a month isn't an awful lot (unless they are all HM and above).  Are you doing anything to vary your training?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Who Date Event Distance Where Goal Result Comments
        pfetro Sep 8th Chicago Half Marathon
        13.1 Chicago, IL sub 1:18    

Would love to run a lot faster than this, but its been quite awhile since I've raced a half...should be a good benchmark.

A disappointing and humbling race - 1:21:24

Windy and humid but despite that it's clear I still have a lot of work to do.  Been fighting some core/breathing muscle issues of late which likely didn't do me any favors.  At least I have a benchmark now and can apply it to a better training schedule (after a few days of recovery).

xhristopher

If you find yourself getting stale and slowing down after several months of racing, it is possible that you've just reached the limit of whatever training you are doing and are on the downslope.  Time for a few weeks off and then to cycle back through base, strength and speed cycles.

Newer runners can go for long periods of time and just get better and better off virtually any training.  But once you've been at it a good while this nice experience goes away.  Sooner or later the body will stop responding to whatever you are doing to it, and you need to build up again then re-introduce the higher-intensity stimuli.  Mental racing fatigue often goes hand-in-hand with the physical components.

That said, a race a month isn't an awful lot (unless they are all HM and above).  Are you doing anything to vary your training?

My training isn't that varied. I have various minimum's I like to hit depending on where I'm in a cycle. I like to keep a balance to life and 6-8 hours a week is about it. I'd certainly say my race performances have been steady, not declining. One thing Is sure, I'm not doing any systematic training, other than building up to longer long runs. Actually executing a cycle properly may be lo hanging fruit.

That said, I started this with the intent of practicing the skill of racing and pacing. I think I've learned a lot and have executed very well relative to my fitness on many occasion. What I'm looking for is that race switch that allows me to wring out a little extra from my training. I've been there. I know the feeling. I saw it at the New Bedford Half, the 10K I ran on New Years, the CC race I ran last December. I summoned a little of it during the final miles of May's marathon but mostly I've been noting it's absence. Gotta say I was pleased to run 38:04 last month but it felt a little like punching the clock. It's not that I don't like running hard and the hurt that comes with it. I haven't raced long since May. Perhaps I need to...

MTA: I missed a race, a 5K in June in my tally. So, in the 19 races I've run in the past 12 months I've hit this about 25% of the time BUT not so much lately. I guess 25% is a good number. Perhaps the longer I keep running the lower that percentage will get. And to circle round to MT's post is it possible that It's just getting harder to bring that race magic? On a half marathon I think that magic is worth at least 90 seconds to me.

an amazing likeness

Just a drive-by post...I'll come back when I have more time tonight.  I wanted to add a slight 'tuning' statement about my approach for clarity of how I judge good or bad day...just to say that I'm not expecting a PR at every race.

I usually have a goal time for a race that is based on some self-inventory of current fitness (mental and physical), what I think it will take for me to manage the course layout well, how well I'll get to prep for race day, how much I think I can push myself mentally, etc, etc.  From that I set a goal...and really it is often putting my entry here in one of the race threads that makes me set the goal.  The end result is that I'm not always comparing what I ran to, say, a new PR....just what I thought I should have run.

For example...yesterday...I knew the course topography meant even effort was the order of the day, I knew I had a certain deadness in my legs from months of trying to catch the 2K pace bunny after being injured for Jan-Feb-Mar, I had some recent workouts that told me my 1/2 marathon effort was generally giving me about 7:40 - 7:50 miles, so I thought the order of the day was 7:50/mi with some 8:00 splits in the heavy climbs and some 7:40 splits and probably some fade.  My discouragement comes when I can't bring it in somewhat close to plan and can't finger why.

Chris, I can count on one hand the number of times I've run a race and had 'magic' happen...actually I can think of the 3 races off hand in my total running history....no idea what that means....good, bad or otherwise.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xhristopher

MT, you've been at it longer than I so you've got much better data to assess, execute, and evaluate. I just threw my bit out (selfishly) as I'm trying to analyze my current plateau (physical and mental). The physical part makes sense because my training looks like a metronome and I could always do more or differently. The mental part of racing is not so clear as the motivation to run and race is there.

I worked with a guy for 15 years who was always a competitive cyclist during this time. His big thing was the time trial, frequently on the same courses, so he had a ridiculous amount of data on himself. During this time he aged from his mid 40s to 60. Not surprisingly slowing with age was a topic of discussion over the years. It's true his times at 60 aren't as fast as they once were but the drop-off wasn't linear or consistent and he'd often improve a year after thinking he'd never see a particular time again. So keep fighting the fight.

Also, just to clarify, there are different levels of race magic to me. There is the "basic run of the mill race day magic" that allows you to flip a switch and run a little better than prior assessments would indicate (my 25% figure came from that -- and they weren't all PR runs) and then there is "transformative race day magic" that just transcends logic. I can easily count those on one hand too.

Ken, I was wondering how it would go out there. Sucks about the two guys in front of you. But, under those conditions.. Did you run on the painted white lines as to not melt your shoes?

... and for the fails ..

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

So, in the 19 races I've run in the past 12 months I've hit this about 25% of the time BUT not so much lately. 

19 races in a year sounds like a lot.  I've heard about performance suffering from racing too much.  Not necessarily because of physical exhaustion but because racing becomes more of a workout and the mind just can't get the body to fully do what it is capable of.  Maybe it would help to cut back on the number of races and focus on <4 goal races per year with maybe 6 or so tune-up races?  I don't think I've ever had more than 3 goal races in a year and usually less than 5 tuneup races.

xhristopher

19 races in a year sounds like a lot.  I've heard about performance suffering from racing too much.  Not necessarily because of physical exhaustion but because racing becomes more of a workout and the mind just can't get the body to fully do what it is capable of.  Maybe it would help to cut back on the number of races and focus on <4 goal races per year with maybe 6 or so tune-up races?  I don't think I've ever had more than 3 goal races in a year and usually less than 5 tuneup races.

Those 19 races include 2/3rds as short stuff, mostly 5Ks and a couple 10Ks. So yeah, It's not a huge physical burden. Mentally differentiating goal vs. tune ups races may be a start. I don't really do that much. I'm guessing that doing harder workouts may help train the mind for going deeper in the pain cave come race day. Most of my weekly running is casual and easy. I do enjoy racing. Perhaps I'm feeding the beast a little too much.

Feeling the growl again

Those 19 races include 2/3rds as short stuff, mostly 5Ks and a couple 10Ks. So yeah, It's not a huge physical burden. Mentally differentiating goal vs. tune ups races may be a start. I don't really do that much. I'm guessing that doing harder workouts may help train the mind for going deeper in the pain cave come race day. Most of my weekly running is casual and easy. I do enjoy racing. Perhaps I'm feeding the beast a little too much.

Even single and in school, I could never find the time to burn myself out on 5Ks.  You can run a ton of them in a year without issues.  It's the long stuff that will eat you up.  This is especially true if you are effectively running 5Ks in place of more frequent, scheduled hard workouts.

+1 on harder workouts conditioning you for the pain cave.  Not that you should burn yourself out regularly on interval workouts, but a few well-run interval workouts which boil the frog are just the medicine to condition you to love pain.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Even single and in school, I could never find the time to burn myself out on 5Ks.  You can run a ton of them in a year without issues.  It's the long stuff that will eat you up.  This is especially true if you are effectively running 5Ks in place of more frequent, scheduled hard workouts.

Yes if you are not training for a marathon.  But if your long runs are suffering because you race a 5K every other weekend it is time to back off.  Yeah, if you look what I am doing right now, it is pretty stupid.  It is not going to get me a marathon PR or even a 50 mile PR.  It will get my mind prepared for the physical and mental destruction of racing 100 miles.  Don't look at my recent racing as an example of good short distance prep.

Anyway, my context isn't my current training but maybe 3 years ago when I got my first sub 3.  I ran maybe 10 races that year and PR'd in 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, and Marathon.  My focus was the marathon and I dropped 9 minutes in less than a year.  I think where most runners suffer is the loss of focus.  They try to be the best at everything and end up as master of none....

X - I remember a few years ago when you ran a 1:22 1/2 marathon.  I was like - this dude is going to break 2:50 this year.  I still think you have it in you, but I think your training needs to get back to where you were then.

xhristopher

X - I remember a few years ago when you ran a 1:22 1/2 marathon.  I was like - this dude is going to break 2:50 this year.  I still think you have it in you, but I think your training needs to get back to where you were then.

Ha. You know, I ran 1:22 again this spring. This time off of less mileage and then ran a 3:04 for the full. Those two distances continue to be out of wack for me. I'm fortunate to do this on lower and easier mileage. My hope is to do a proper marathon cycle for Boston and have been thinking about taking a two month stretch off from any racing next winter and just focus on training. I don't know if I can commit to it and break the habit. Otherwise I'll just be hanging around this plateau, I suppose.

MT, sorry I've derailed your post with my focus/head problem. Your post triggered something on my mind and then I just started thinking out loud.

kcam

Ken, I was wondering how it would go out there. Sucks about the two guys in front of you. But, under those conditions.. Did you run on the painted white lines as to not melt your shoes?

It really wasn't that bad, for more than half of the course there was intermittent shade.  Our Midwest and East Coast hurtlocker members would no doubt consider 80F / 70% humidity to be excellent (!) racing conditions this time of year, but it's just not something I'm used to.  Give me  mid to high 60's, now we're talking.  Enough whining.

kcam

Good luck in getting in, hope they have a few spots left.  So, I guess that means tha,t if you could, you absolutely would register for and run 2014 Boston?

I've been nervously awaiting this announcement because that means I have to make a decision by Sept 9.  I have the BQ-20 (which is quite slack for 50-54 AG) but I've been going back and forth on whether to run.  It's gonna be so crowded and expensive ($175 just to register, airfare for me and the wife, hotel for a couple/three days), but then again it is Boston 2014.  Vhat to do, vhat to do ...

Guess what?  I didn't register for Boston yesterday.  I feel so ... free, liberated, empowered (?) ... now.  Good luck and good training to everyone who's going, I'll be watching and rooting for ya.

Guess what?  I didn't register for Boston yesterday.  I feel so ... free, liberated, empowered (?) ... now.  Good luck and good training to everyone who's going, I'll be watching and rooting for ya.

Just because you didn't sign up yesterday doesn't mean you can't sign up today or tomorrow or the day after that.  Heck, you're in the free and clear to sign up whenever you want until it closes.

I didn't sign up yesterday either.  Going to wait until Thursday as the one that I helped BQ on Saturday doesn't get to sign up on Friday.  BQ -8 better be good enough to get in!