3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

November 2013 Racing Thread (Read 55 times)

Who Date Event Distance Where Goal Result Comment
    Roth Runner  11/30  Self Transendance 10k 10k Battersea, London Road PR (sub 34:48)    

34:37 today, so a new road PR and 6 seconds off my track PR.  Felt tired the few days leading into this and was treating it as a train through so I wasn't expecting to be 100%  I had a bit of weird race in that I felt fine the first couple of k, crap for 5k then got a second wind for the last 3k, finishing with a 3:15 last k.  Even first and last halves in 17:19 & 17:18.  My lungs felt like the pace wasn't that quick but my legs were very weary from early on today.  Did 6 miles before and 6.8 miles after to make the miles up to 19, so all in all good training for my marathon in three weeks.

34:37 today, so a new road PR and 6 seconds off my track PR.  Felt tired the few days leading into this and was treating it as a train through so I wasn't expecting to be 100%  I had a bit of weird race in that I felt fine the first couple of k, crap for 5k then got a second wind for the last 3k, finishing with a 3:15 last k.  Even first and last halves in 17:19 & 17:18.  My lungs felt like the pace wasn't that quick but my legs were very weary from early on today.  Did 6 miles before and 6.8 miles after to make the miles up to 19, so all in all good training for my marathon in three weeks.

Dang, nice run RR.  Congrats on the PR. Looking forward to seeing what you can do in a couple of weeks.

C-R

A 34 10k with 6+ on both ends. Wow. Nice stuff there Roth.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Great run, Roth.

16:54 (unofficial) for me this afternoon. A second or so off the PR from this spring. Very much a time trial, with two college kids about a minute in front, and the crowd about 90 secs behind. A good run though.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Great run, Roth.

16:54 (unofficial) for me this afternoon. A second or so off the PR from this spring. Very much a time trial, with two college kids about a minute in front, and the crowd about 90 secs behind. A good run though.

Straight back at you, nice run! Smile

kcam

Way to go, both of ya's!

Feeling the growl again

Great run, Roth.

Awesome stuff...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Tallbackanator

I screwed up big time - 16:05. I'm really frustrated with myself but I know there was nothing I could do about it; I was still in the midst of the cold I developed two days before.

Sadly, I'm officially done with high school XC Sad

C-R

Bummer Eric but weather and illness are two things not in our control. Still sounds like you gave it all.

Lots of racing left for ya. Look at some of geezers. We even set PRs now and then. Keep pluggin.

CR Jr Update - kid finished 13th yesterday. A bit slower than PR (11:22) but it was 30 degrees and the course was a challenge. That qualified him for Nationals. Unfortunately, attending this year is not in the cards due to surgery in the family that week. He took it well and we have both set sight on National Track and Field Championships this summer in the 1500 or 3000 (both of which his times are plenty strong enough to make it right now but he says he can better). I see a brand new set of spikes in his Christmas stocking. Any advice as I've never bought the things. Are track and XC spikes the same/interchangeable. Looking for advice from you fast dudes.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

OK, looks like it’s time for me to sling the November beer…

Lots of notable performances – November is always a great mix of the culmination of XC season, fall marathons, and end of season goal races. Props to CR for racing a lot, and of course to JR for really coming into his own, to Milktruck for two solid HMs in a row, to mstuartm for 2 marathons in the month including a sweet PR.

But, this month’s beer has to go to mbehr for the Naperville HM performance. Awesome race.

Well done, everyone. Thanks for giving me a front row seat for a solid month.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      C-R

WTG mbehr!

Not bad for not being an athlete in the eyes of SJ. Oh wait, wtf does he know other than ostrich and dinosaurs. Fickin tool.

Well earned indeed. You can collect at spaniel farms beer mile.

OK, looks like it’s time for me to sling the November beer…

Lots of notable performances – November is always a great mix of the culmination of XC season, fall marathons, and end of season goal races. Props to CR for racing a lot, and of course to JR for really coming into his own, to Milktruck for two solid HMs in a row, to mstuartm for 2 marathons in the month including a sweet PR.

But, this month’s beer has to go to mbehr for the Naperville HM performance. Awesome race.

Well done, everyone. Thanks for giving me a front row seat for a solid month.

Hey, thanks for the props.  And there was indeed some good racing in November.

Any advice as I've never bought the things. Are track and XC spikes the same/interchangeable. Looking for advice from you fast dudes.

I haven't looked at spikes for years but yes, they are usually interchangeable.  You'll probably find that there are styles that look like racing flats or the traditional spikes.  I always wore the traditional spikes with the longer, XC size spikes screwed in.  The short spikes were only used on the track.  Since we typically ran all of our XC races on golf courses or similar type terrain, it wasn't critical to have the support and cushioning.  If the surface is going to be rough and rocky, you may want to consider a racing flat style spike as it would provide a little more durability and support.  But, if it were me and I knew I'd be racing both XC and track, I'd probably settle for the traditional style spikes.

Hey, thanks for the props.  And there was indeed some good racing in November.

Great job, congrats! Between this place and the Swamp, I'm amazed at the amount of talent on here.

Congrats Mbher!  That was a pretty kick ass 13.1 you had!