3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Let's say you wanted to run 53 miles in one day... (Read 76 times)

An expanded 2 cents from me...

Start out super easy. If at any point you wonder if your pace is too fast, it is. Slow down. Keep going, making absolutely sure to stay on top of food/drink. Calories and dehydration become wayyy more important, and getting behind on either just plain sucks. It's good to practice the eating/running thing beforehand. It takes some getting used to, since it's much more than you'd do even in a marathon. Having friends join in for all or part is an excellent idea as long as they don't influence your pace to creep up. Tiny things that you can live with on a shorter run get magnified, so all the standard warnings (good socks/shoes, bodyglide, that kind of thing) become more important. Slow and steady, lots of snacks, and you can do it. For me, I'd do it that way 10 times out of 10 before I broke it up into a double or triple or whatever other combination. That sounds (even more) torturous to me.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

kcam

Start out super easy. If at any point you wonder if your pace is too fast, it is. Slow down. Keep going, making absolutely sure to stay on top of food/drink. Calories and dehydration become wayyy more important, and getting behind on either just plain sucks. It's good to practice the eating/running thing beforehand. It takes some getting used to, since it's much more than you'd do even in a marathon. Having friends join in for all or part is an excellent idea as long as they don't influence your pace to creep up. Tiny things that you can live with on a shorter run get magnified, so all the standard warnings (good socks/shoes, bodyglide, that kind of thing) become more important. Slow and steady, lots of snacks, and you can do it. For me, I'd do it that way 10 times out of 10 before I broke it up into a double or triple or whatever other combination. That sounds (even more) torturous to me.

Yes, yes, yes.  You make it sound almost like something a normal, sane person might try.

Kalsarikännit

Greg is getting pretty smart in this ultrastuff.  That is the same advice I would give.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

The King of Beasts

Great advice. especially having friends join in on the fun.  if you can have someone with you for the last bit (5 to 15 or more miles) and make sure they know what you are doing - make sure they dont try and talk you into quitting.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

an amazing likeness

I'm doubting I've got the mental stamina to try this...so might be just a fading pipe dream.

Did you see this part...???    I'm starting to feel like you're all goading me into this.  Smile

...but thanks for all the advice. I'm pondering...and have some time to keep pondering...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Did you see this part...???    I'm starting to feel like you're all goading me into this.  Smile

...but thanks for all the advice. I'm pondering...and have some time to keep pondering...

Mental stamina is definitely the key.  Your body can take a lot more pain that the mind realizes.  I second A1's - don't let your friends talk you into quitting.  You have to be committed though because otherwise it is very easy to quit between 35-40.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Me? I'd probably run an out and back. 26ish miles each way, or some such thing. I'd carry stuff or cash or both for fluids and calories.

Id run it all at once.

A problem with friends running it is that they will run some 3-6 miles, and want to run it faster than you will naturally be running. Maybe they can join you towards the end.

Hey MT, if you do decide to do this and you do want some company, let me know. If the timing works I'd be happy to tag along for some of that.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Hey MT, if you do decide to do this and you do want some company, let me know. If the timing works I'd be happy to tag along for some of that.

MilkTruck! Hope you take Greg C up on the offer...and while you're at it, get a little crew going, and end your 53 miles in a pub! It'd be a great birthday party!!

an amazing likeness

All the advice is appreciated, but 'tis but a fading idea at this point, added to the list of "stuff I didn't do, but I meant to".

Firstly because I full of doubt and do not embrace pain well.  Aka, I'm chicken to try it.  Secondly...there's little support on the home front when I raised the thought....her response was "not everyone was built to run long distance, especially you".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

All the advice is appreciated, but 'tis but a fading idea at this point, added to the list of "stuff I didn't do, but I meant to".

Firstly because I full of doubt and do not embrace pain well.  Aka, I'm chicken to try it.  Secondly...there's little support on the home front when I raised the thought....her response was "not everyone was built to run long distance, especially you".

Come on!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh just do it.

MTA:  It's only running.  What's the worst could happen?

steph  

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Make it easy.  Double Monkey.  And add a post monkey beer mile.

Feeling the growl again

.her response was "not everyone was built to run long distance, especially you".

That's the kind of reply that makes me do dumb shit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills