3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2014 (Read 69 times)

Slo

I stole this and modified only slightly...Here's to 2014.

The Cave:

No words survive here, only echoes. Echoes of our hopes, of our plans, of our failures. What we thought we might do when we came here is little more than a shadow; it flickers on the walls for a moment and when we turn to look, it is gone. Doubts swell up and bounce off the walls until they become so loud they can no longer be heard.

Once we’ve entered, we can not return the way we came; the only way out is to descend into the darkness and through to the other side. When we emerge, we will breathe a new life, one where we are able to push a bit harder, and suffer a bit more. It is a better world, one with opportunity. One where we can make things happen because we have discovered a new limit of our will.

Pushing deeper into The Cave is learned over time. When we first enter, we will find ourselves in a small cavern with no apparent exit. As we train and explore its darkest corners, we discover a passage. We gather our courage and slip into a larger, darker cavern to explore. Beyond that, there lies another. Each holds its own unique strain of suffering, but with it comes also a degree of control; the choice to enter is ours and ours alone.

When I’m strong, my mind yearns for the cleansing qualities of The Cave. I feel almost the master of my pain, that I command its ebbs and flows. Even on days that don’t require it, I will hurt myself just to prove I can. When I’m chasing my fitness, however, I approach it with the same reluctance I had as a child when made to eat my vegetables. The suffering flows over me in waves and I am at the mercy of its current.

My training this summer has been erratic and unstructured. I’ve had some great periods, and just as I’ve neared a goal, either illness or travel unexpectedly reared up before me and interrupted my progress. A week away from the training means another two weeks before I find myself back to where I was. Two weeks of drifting like a leaf in the current. Two weeks of knowing what lies beyond, unable to reach it.

Then the breakthrough, and into the next cavern. It is only through contemplating the darkest corners of The Cave that we discover its deepest passages and it is within the deepest passages that we may discover our purest selves.

Have courage and follow the path into The Cave.

I would steal that not-pay-for-alcohol thing, but I'll also have to stay out of the bar where I'm a regular. The bartenders will comp my beer just to screw with me.

Goals:

Boston Marathon: 2:08

Fall marathon to be named later: 2:04

Not sure what I'll be racing at shorter distances, but I figure some soft PRs will get knocked off along the way.

We're moving from Georgia to Seattle in June, so it looks like my first west coast marathon will be in the fall. I'm already excited about some of the races that will be within easy traveling distance. Unfortunately, the Monkey will no longer be one of them.

I would steal that not-pay-for-alcohol thing, but I'll also have to stay out of the bar where I'm a regular. The bartenders will comp my beer just to screw with me.

Goals:

Not sure what I'll be racing at shorter distances, but I figure some soft PRs will get knocked off along the way.

We're moving from Georgia to Seattle in June, so it looks like my first west coast marathon will be in the fall. I'm already excited about some of the races that will be within easy traveling distance. Unfortunately, the Monkey will no longer be one of them.

Forget alcohol...you may need a different drug to bust out a 2:04...just sayin...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Goals:

I have seen some bold goals set here, but you win!  Big grin

Best of luck with the move, that's a long one.

Me, I'm not going to set any goals right now.  I need to focus on getting back in shape, nailing down consistency, and defeating the injury bug.  If I lay down a couple good months with all cylinders firing, I can think about goals.  Right now I won't even sign up for a race in advance (or anything longer than a HM) because there is a significant chance it won't happen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Me, I'm not going to set any goals right now.  I need to focus on getting back in shape, nailing down consistency, and defeating the injury bug.  If I lay down a couple good months with all cylinders firing, I can think about goals.  Right now I won't even sign up for a race in advance (or anything longer than a HM) because there is a significant chance it won't happen.

I am pretty close to this right here.  I really just want to get myself to the point where I am exercising every day without breaking down.  How much of that will be running I don't know.

I spent a good part of 2013 doing nothing.  It is not really a case where I felt sorry for myself.  I just got tired of fighting the injuries so I just threw my hands up and gave up.  I have no idea how many miles I ran but I am sure that it was most likely the lowest total in the last 10 years.  That cannot continue.  I became a grandfather last year which is a blast and I want to get healthy and fit so I can enjoy it as long as possible.

Not at it at all. 

Forget alcohol...you may need a different drug to bust out a 2:04...just sayin...

Yeah, my ambition and my talent might not align the way I'd like them to. I've only been running consistently for about three years, so it's all still a big mystery to me.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Finally get my weight back under control.

Run lots.

And lots more.

Monkey again...Finish better than last time.

steph  

kcam

Goals?  I don't need no steenking goals.

I'm old, bitter, disillusioned and I just don't give a shit and I'm just gonna run this year.  It'll be the best year ever.

Feeling the growl again

I'm old, bitter, disillusioned and I just don't give a shit and I'm just gonna run this year.  It'll be the best year ever.

I'm going to steal this one, it's so much better than mine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Finally get my weight back under control.

I laughed a little.  Only because I met you at Monkey and the thought of you needing to control some big weight gain seems funny.  But then I think of the look I get when I tell people I need to lose 15lbs to get to racing weight, and I guess I need to laugh at myself too.  Smile

Don't sell yourself short. Not giving a shit can be surprisingly hard.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I laughed a little.  Only because I met you at Monkey and the thought of you needing to control some big weight gain seems funny.  But then I think of the look I get when I tell people I need to lose 15lbs to get to racing weight, and I guess I need to laugh at myself too.  Smile

Yes 

steph  

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

+1

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

First half of 2014: get back to being a runner; get consistent again.

Second half: sub-3:10 marathon; 1:28 HM; 39min 10km.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

runmomto3boys

I'm the new chick over here.  Newish runner - started in 3/2012.  I've run only two races, both marathons, since I started.  I'm weird like that.

I'm hoping for a steady improvement (i.e., 2 PRs): one in Boston and one in whatever second race I decide to run later this year (CIM, most likely; Chicago if that ends up to be too expensive - I live very close to Chicago).  I ran a 3:09 in Green Bay in May, then was hurt over the summer/early fall, so I couldn't race.