3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Celiac antibody test was negative.  Woot!

Some liver stuff was elevated, but I have inherently high bilirubin levels.

Still waiting on the results of the fecal test.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Celiac antibody test was negative.  Woot!

Some liver stuff was elevated, but I have inherently high bilirubin levels.

Still waiting on the results of the fecal test.

Positive for inflammatory bowel disease. Dead  Comes and goes, I'm told.  Time to do some Internet research ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

And in news not feces-related:

I was having an awesome long run yesterday, cruising through the 170* Yuck Factor weather and then a merciful downpour.  Stopped briefly in the business park, deciding between two routes home from there.  I picked the slightly longer one to be sure I got over 12mi (yeah, I'm early in my long-run mode these days).  The route involved looping around the hospital complex, meeting a main road, and following that to my little development.

Not 300m up the hospital road, something flew at me from the right, right into my mouth, where it got jammed between my teeth and upper lip on the left.  It immediately started stinging/biting me inside my mouth.  Spitting it out didn't work, so I reached in, grabbed it, and threw it down.  Then picked a couple body parts out of my mouth (legs, I think).  Walked around for a minute, and I noticed my lip was rapidly swelling, starting to tingle, and hurt like hell.  I could taste blood, but I wasn't seeing any when I poked around in there.

Couldn't find the damn bug on the ground, either!  So I ran the rest of the way up the hill to the ER entrance, thinking I'd use the mirror in their restroom and maybe ask someone if there was a stinger and venom sac hanging off my lip.  Well, it turns out my name and birthday are all it takes to cross the "in the system" threshold, which has a $250 cover charge.

My lip was pretty big by then (I could do an awesome impression of Forresst's best good friend Bubba), the pain was radiating through my gums and front teeth, and stinging insect allergies run in the family (my sister is HUGELY allergic) ... so I got a nice shot in my leg (ouch!), a pill, and I had to stay for 45-60 minutes to be "watched".  The meds did their job, though, and things are much better now.

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Crap.  wish I  could help but not one of my specialties.  At least manageable I think, just a PIA.

Positive for inflammatory bowel disease. Dead  Comes and goes, I'm told.  Time to do some Internet research ...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Deliberate use of both crap and PIA in the same post?

Sorry to hear that Clive.  It's good you know what you're managing now though.  My Dad has Crohn's Disease so I have some experience of it, but only in following what has worked (and what hasn't) for him.  He's certainly managed to be very active with it, but did take time to adapt.  Have you been put on a prescription for it or are you self-managing at the moment?  I'd definitely say that watching what you eat can lead to major improvements (or otherwise) as can managing stress levels.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Inflammatory bowel disease and flying stinging bugs. Both very uncool.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

#artbydmcbride

Join the club.  I have been living with ulcerative colitis.   Yours sounds like more fun.  Big grin

Not the bug bites in the mouf though! (((CliveF)))

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

And in news not feces-related:

I was having an awesome long run yesterday, cruising through the 170* Yuck Factor weather and then a merciful downpour.  Stopped briefly in the business park, deciding between two routes home from there.  I picked the slightly longer one to be sure I got over 12mi (yeah, I'm early in my long-run mode these days).  The route involved looping around the hospital complex, meeting a main road, and following that to my little development.

Not 300m up the hospital road, something flew at me from the right, right into my mouth, where it got jammed between my teeth and upper lip on the left.  It immediately started stinging/biting me inside my mouth.  Spitting it out didn't work, so I reached in, grabbed it, and threw it down.  Then picked a couple body parts out of my mouth (legs, I think).  Walked around for a minute, and I noticed my lip was rapidly swelling, starting to tingle, and hurt like hell.  I could taste blood, but I wasn't seeing any when I poked around in there.

Couldn't find the damn bug on the ground, either!  So I ran the rest of the way up the hill to the ER entrance, thinking I'd use the mirror in their restroom and maybe ask someone if there was a stinger and venom sac hanging off my lip.  Well, it turns out my name and birthday are all it takes to cross the "in the system" threshold, which has a $250 cover charge.

My lip was pretty big by then (I could do an awesome impression of Forresst's best good friend Bubba), the pain was radiating through my gums and front teeth, and stinging insect allergies run in the family (my sister is HUGELY allergic) ... so I got a nice shot in my leg (ouch!), a pill, and I had to stay for 45-60 minutes to be "watched".  The meds did their job, though, and things are much better now.

Damn, you're getting the old 1-2 this week.  Buy a lottery ticket, your luck is due to change.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Would you like me to tell you about my groin?  Angry

And my former boss (and current colleague) got fired yesterday.

Things sure are interesting these days.

-- Dick LeBeau

Things sure are interesting these days.

Yes?

Sorry about the sting and the work issues (assuming they are negative).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

This thread scares the hell out of me. Just saying.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

yes

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

This thread scares the hell out of me. Just saying.

Yes.

steph  

bhearn

Sucker punched myself, looks like. I haven't run since my four marathons in four days 10 days ago, and I don't expect to any time soon. I think I was mostly over an adductor pull from November, but I ran through a lot of pain on days 3 and 4, and definitely did a lot more damage. At this point I'm *hoping* it's just a worse pull I have to be out a few weeks for. PT tomorrow.

I guess I should be glad I'm at the bottom of the waiting list for Cascade Crest 100 at the end of August. I'd hate to get in and DNS two years in a row.

Heal up, bh!

-- Dick LeBeau