Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

#artbydmcbride

{{{magic healing vibes>> bhearn <<magic healing vibes}}}

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Sucker punched myself,

Pretty much my problem too.

Rest it and heal up...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

At this point I'm *hoping* it's just a worse pull I have to be out a few weeks for. 

Hope so, good luck with it!

steph  

bhearn

So... I learned a lot at PT today. Diagnosis: adductor magnus tendonitis, caused by neural tension, tight hip flexors, and poor L5 / S1 stability. WTF is neural tension, you ask? That was a new one on me, but the idea is that with tension along the line from my head, through the spine, and down the sciatic nerve, the adductor magnus is firing too much when it should be relaxing, via reflex action to protect the nerve. The picture is of the nerve literally being pulled upward when e.g. I tilt my head forward. I wanted to call BS on my PT right there -- I know enough anatomy to distinguish the peripheral and central nervous systems. The sciatic nerve starts at the bottom of the spine; it's not a string that runs up through the spine. But I checked up online afterwards, and evidently yes, this is a thing. And it's often behind hamstring issues. I don't quite understand the anatomical mechanism, but that's OK. Now I have a bunch of exercises and more time off. I guess this is better than a true muscle pull, right?

wtf.. seriously. Get well.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

So... I learned a lot at PT today. Diagnosis: adductor magnus tendonitis, caused by neural tension, tight hip flexors, and poor L5 / S1 stability. WTF is neural tension, you ask? That was a new one on me, but the idea is that with tension along the line from my head, through the spine, and down the sciatic nerve, the adductor magnus is firing too much when it should be relaxing, via reflex action to protect the nerve. The picture is of the nerve literally being pulled upward when e.g. I tilt my head forward. I wanted to call BS on my PT right there -- I know enough anatomy to distinguish the peripheral and central nervous systems. The sciatic nerve starts at the bottom of the spine; it's not a string that runs up through the spine. But I checked up online afterwards, and evidently yes, this is a thing. And it's often behind hamstring issues. I don't quite understand the anatomical mechanism, but that's OK. Now I have a bunch of exercises and more time off. I guess this is better than a true muscle pull, right?

Maybe not.  Sounds a hell of a lot like my issue.  And you don't want to be like spaniel.

No matter what the women say.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I guess this is better than a true muscle pull, right?

I'd take the muscle pull any day.

Not at it at all. 

bhearn

I guess I see this as just some inflamed tendon sheath, vs actual muscular microtears. You can only rebuild that muscle so many times. Or maybe not. What do I know. I guess if it's a tendinosis instead of just tendonitis (assuming I have my terminology correct, which I'm not sure the PT did), I could be out for longer. I would hope to be running again in a few weeks, so I can ramp up for a marathon PR attempt in December -- the main goal now is to get this completely resolved. Not running sucks, but at least I'm not currently missing key training.

Feeling the growl again

I guess I see this as just some inflamed tendon sheath, vs actual muscular microtears. You can only rebuild that muscle so many times. Or maybe not. What do I know. I guess if it's a tendinosis instead of just tendonitis (assuming I have my terminology correct, which I'm not sure the PT did), I could be out for longer. I would hope to be running again in a few weeks, so I can ramp up for a marathon PR attempt in December -- the main goal now is to get this completely resolved. Not running sucks, but at least I'm not currently missing key training.

Muscles heal a lot easier than issues when nerves get involved.  I have always viewed my issues as nerve issues secondary to inflammation in muscles.

C-R

Heal up Bhearn. Plenty more racing once you're well.

This thread continues to give me nightmares worse than when I watched Jaws in theaters (Yeah I'm that old and get off my lawn)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

bhearn

Hmm. Well, I don't know why I'm not more down about my diagnosis. Call me naive. I just get the sense this guy knows what he's doing, and having an explicit picture of the problem (right or wrong), and steps to correct it, makes me feel a lot better. It was the uncertainty about what was going on that was driving me crazy. Plus, I've now got a regular PT with followups scheduled, literally a mile from my house (which is amazing; it's pretty rural here). What an incredible (though expensive) resource. It took me this long to get set up, because in CA you have to have a doctor's referral to see a PT, and having recently moved from Canada, we were still jumping through all the hoops to get back into the US medical system. Had my first physical in many years on Tuesday (perfect bloodwork, yay).

bhearn

Some light reading for the weekend, just arrived from Amazon:

Diagnosis: adductor magnus tendonitis, caused by neural tension, tight hip flexors, and poor L5 / S1 stability. . . . Now I have a bunch of exercises and more time off. 

Hey bhearn, sorry about your forced hiatus. At least you're being smart and fixing the problem instead of running on an injury like I did (been out for months and months and months).

Would you mind sharing what exercises they thought would work? I'm still having pain, tho it's lessened greatly this last month...but hoping to find an exercise that stomps it right out for good.

Prince of Fatness

Hmm. Well, I don't know why I'm not more down about my diagnosis.

Maybe it is because you have what appears to be a clear one and a course of action to remedy the problem.  I have been trying to get an answer of what is ailing me for a couple of years.  I know that it is nerve related but not sure exactly what.  To say that it has gotten frustrating is an understatement.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Hmm. Well, I don't know why I'm not more down about my diagnosis. Call me naive. I just get the sense this guy knows what he's doing, and having an explicit picture of the problem (right or wrong), and steps to correct it, makes me feel a lot better. It was the uncertainty about what was going on that was driving me crazy. Plus, I've now got a regular PT with followups scheduled, literally a mile from my house (which is amazing; it's pretty rural here). What an incredible (though expensive) resource. It took me this long to get set up, because in CA you have to have a doctor's referral to see a PT, and having recently moved from Canada, we were still jumping through all the hoops to get back into the US medical system. Had my first physical in many years on Tuesday (perfect bloodwork, yay).

I can totally identify with this.  My chiro experience coupled with reading Anatomy for Runners and having a healing plan has helped my mental state immensely.

And I won't call you naive, but I will call you a geek based on your leisure reading choices.  But I consider that giving a compliment.