3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Good grief.

Sickness.. poison plants... death massages.. You two need to get well. At least Mbehr's bike works and Spaniel is ready for his trip.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

kcam

So, just another Saturday night in the Spaniel home?

Glad to hear your hip is feeling better, and good luck with the arms.

LOL  I'm glad I wasn't taking a sip of my coffee when I read that!

Feeling the growl again

So, just another Saturday night in the Spaniel home?

Glad to hear your hip is feeling better, and good luck with the arms.

LOL, I knew that was coming from somewhere.  Big grin

No run today, but I did do a full lap of the track + walking with the boy (20mo) and pushed him on the swing for an hour.  He threw a fit when I made him come back in the house.  So, no regrets.  I'll test it tomorrow and get back on the wagon.  I'll have nothing better to do in Amsterdam (besides work) except run, so I should be able to pound out some good miles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

have been trying to get an answer of what is ailing me for a couple of years.  I know that it is nerve related but not sure exactly what.  To say that it has gotten frustrating is an understatement.

I have been reluctant to post in this thread because I have spent the good part of this year with my hands thrown up and a "fuck it" attitude.  I have not been exercising much and have not lost any weight.  I did try something different in going to see a neurologist.  All she did was give me anti-inflammatories and cymbalta.  I went right off of the cymbalta before I got hooked because the side effects made me miserable.  Living with pain was better.  I am done with her.

Anyway, my clothes are getting tighter and I do not want to go out and buy stretchy pants.  I think that I am pissed off enough that I am ready to go on the offensive.  I have some irons in the fire, but bottom line is that cutting back on the exercising and being pretty diligent with the core work has not made this problem go away.  Something just will not let go of nerve(s) in my hip and I need to have whatever tests run to find out what it is.  Only when I have a better idea of what is going on I can manage it.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I have been reluctant to post in this thread because I have spent the good part of this year with my hands thrown up and a "fuck it" attitude.  I have not been exercising much and have not lost any weight.  I did try something different in going to see a neurologist.  All she did was give me anti-inflammatories and cymbalta.  I went right off of the cymbalta before I got hooked because the side effects made me miserable.  Living with pain was better.  I am done with her.

Anyway, my clothes are getting tighter and I do not want to go out and buy stretchy pants.  I think that I am pissed off enough that I am ready to go on the offensive.  I have some irons in the fire, but bottom line is that cutting back on the exercising and being pretty diligent with the core work has not made this problem go away.  Something just will not let go of nerve(s) in my hip and I need to have whatever tests run to find out what it is.  Only when I have a better idea of what is going on I can manage it.

NSAIDs and Cymbalta?  That's really disappointing, not even an attempt to get to the root of the issue.

Best of luck getting to the root of it, I'd really like to see you come on here one day and say it's gone.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Best of luck getting to the root of it, I'd really like to see you come on here one day and say it's gone being managed and you are running regularly.

I am not sure that It will ever be gone so I would settle for this.  Hard to erase the effects of years of sitting.  I do believe that if I can get the nerve situation settled I can manage this with core exercises and see where it takes me.  Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

NSAIDs and Cymbalta?  That's really disappointing, not even an attempt to get to the root of the issue.

Best of luck getting to the root of it, I'd really like to see you come on here one day and say it's gone.

Yes, this.   Nerve problems are the pits.

steph  

kcam

MrFinn - Continuing to wish you well in getting this healed or at least in control.  I've had my share of hip/back/leg nerve problems in the last 30 years so I understand your pain and frustration.  Keep working at it.

Speaking of nerve problems, I have a new one that cropped up about a month ago.  Not sure what the hell it is but the symptoms are that it feels like I have a big ole bruise right at the ball of my foot behind my big toe.  If I step on a rock or a twig in exactly the right spot the pain can be momentarily agonizing.  Otherwise it doesn't hurt to run.  No trauma that caused it that I remember, it just kind of crept up.

I've switched to running in more cushioned trainers (and even racing in them) in hopes of not making it worse.   I've stopped running on rocky trails and am sticking to pavement and asphalt.  My internet wanderings have led me to believe it is either Metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, turf toe or a neuroma.  I'm leaning towards sesamoiditis.  Good news is that icing really makes a difference and I have a very faint feeling that it might be getting better.  I'm trying not to go to a doctor because I know for a fact that they won't have a clue.  Sigh.

I'm trying not to go to a doctor because I know for a fact that they won't have a clue.  Sigh.

Yep. Here's how it goes:

Podiatrist: Well, Ken, it could be Metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, turf toe or a neuroma.

You: Ok...so, what do I do?

Podiatrist: We wait a few weeks. Come back in. If it's not better, I'll tell you to come back in in two more weeks. We'll keep repeating that, until finally the pain goes away. We'll never really know what it was. Because really, it could be metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, turf toe or a neuroma, and frankly I don't know how to tell you which one it is, and even if I did know what it was, I'd just tell you to stay off it and come back in two weeks. In the meantime, I make some decent cash.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I did try something different in going to see a neurologist.  All she did was give me anti-inflammatories and cymbalta.

Not cool.  Although the molecular model on Wikipedia is mesmerizing:

I think that I am pissed off enough that I am ready to go on the offensive.

Rawr.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yep. Here's how it goes:

Podiatrist: Well, Ken, it could be Metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, turf toe or a neuroma.

You: Ok...so, what do I do?

Podiatrist: We wait a few weeks. Come back in. If it's not better, I'll tell you to come back in in two more weeks. We'll keep repeating that, until finally the pain goes away. We'll never really know what it was. Because really, it could be metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, turf toe or a neuroma, and frankly I don't know how to tell you which one it is, and even if I did know what it was, I'd just tell you to stay off it and come back in two weeks. In the meantime, I make some decent cash.

And on't forget to pick up your Cymbalta on the way out!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

Speaking of nerve problems, I have a new one that cropped up about a month ago.  Not sure what the hell it is but the symptoms are that it feels like I have a big ole bruise right at the ball of my foot behind my big toe.  If I step on a rock or a twig in exactly the right spot the pain can be momentarily agonizing.  Otherwise it doesn't hurt to run.  No trauma that caused it that I remember, it just kind of crept up.

I had something similar within the last year.  Can't remember exactly when.  I haven't been on the trails in months so it has not been an issue for some time.

Same as you it was the ball of my foot.  If I landed on a rock (think the size of a robin's egg or maybe a little bigger) in that place it would be quite painful.  The pain did not last long though.  And like you I could not remember any event that would have triggered it.  I never pursued it further because by the end of the run the pain was completely gone.  It just reminded me that it was there every now and then. I just thought that it was a bone bruise or something.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Not cool.  Although the molecular model on Wikipedia is mesmerizing:

Yeah the side effects are mesmerizing to.  Hot dry mouth.  Worse than normal mood.  Change in sleep habits.  Kinda felt like my head was in a cloud.  I could not take it so i quit before I went to the higher dose.

I was very puzzling that she prescribed that.  I know that it is used to treat chronic nerve pain among other things but cripes, I told her that the actual pain was only about 3 out of 10 and does not keep me from doing most everyday things,  I would have to be in absolute crippling pain to even consider ever taking that stuff again.

Not at it at all. 

lagwagon

I've switched to running in more cushioned trainers (and even racing in them) in hopes of not making it worse.   I've stopped running on rocky trails and am sticking to pavement and asphalt.  My internet wanderings have led me to believe it is either Metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, turf toe or a neuroma.  I'm leaning towards sesamoiditis.  Good news is that icing really makes a difference and I have a very faint feeling that it might be getting better.  I'm trying not to go to a doctor because I know for a fact that they won't have a clue.  Sigh.

i've had both a sesamoid stress fracture (long time ago) and separately have metatarsalgia on the 2nd met.  I wouldnt write off MDs, they were mostly helpful in my journey and kept me running.  If you have good insurance, I would probably consider seeing an orthopedist as a first step to get an MRI to rule out stress fracture.

if its not a sxfx then the key will probably be off loading the effected area with inserts/insoles/orthotics.  there are OTC options but to treat effectively you need to have a good idea of what/where exactly the problem is.  (i've tried nearly all of them and gotten to a happy place).  and yes, ice works great too.  good luck.

C-R

Morton's neuroma?Damn painful DW had and needed surgery

Damn we need to kill this thread

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/