3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So I've had this awful thing going on for little over two weeks where I have terrible muscle cramps and aches over most of my body, but primarily in my legs and lower back. It usually starts out mild in the morning, then gets worse through the day. It's making it hard to walk or run (or even sleep some nights). I have no real clue what it is. I've been to see my doctor once and he ran a bunch of tests, but everything checked out totally normally. It is very frustrating because I want to get fit again, and had just signed up for some races when this hit…

Feeling the growl again

So I've had this awful thing going on for little over two weeks where I have terrible muscle cramps and aches over most of my body, but primarily in my legs and lower back. It usually starts out mild in the morning, then gets worse through the day. It's making it hard to walk or run (or even sleep some nights). I have no real clue what it is. I've been to see my doctor once and he ran a bunch of tests, but everything checked out totally normally. It is very frustrating because I want to get fit again, and had just signed up for some races when this hit…

Electrolytes???  Too much beer???

I've found the more out of shape I am, the harder it seems to be to get back...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Yeah I'm motivated to get fit again as well.  But I am plagued by desk-job hip flexor issues.  For 3 weeks it's been the left one.  I managed to work through this and have a few good runs; even raced Saturday.  Then todayI get on the treadmill and make it all of 2 minutes before the RIGHT one cramps up and I almost get spit off the back.

I own this for getting fat and out of shape to begin with.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Electrolytes??? 

All normal

Too much beer???

LFTs normal too

I've found the more out of shape I am, the harder it seems to be to get back...

Yeah. So loads of people hearing about my symptoms are all, "you are probably just getting old". Um, no. Deep muscle pain out of nowhere is not a common symptom of being in the mid-40s.

bhearn

Spinal impingement?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In the first days, I was certain that this was the cause, and now I am fairly certain it is not. The distribution resembles a radicular one, but the discomfort is clearly in the muscles (or bones?), worsens with use and is not associated with any neurologic deficit. That said, I will be getting an EMG soon, just to be certain.

Spinal impingement?

And yeah, I did say bone. This could be a metabolic bone pain or marrow pain. I don't even wanna begin to think about that. Reassuringly, all my blood counts were also stone cold normal.

Prince of Fatness

Damn Trent. I hope you get an answer soon.

But I am plagued by desk-job hip flexor the issues.  

I swear that 30 years of desk job is a major contributor to  the chronic shit I've been dealing with for what seems like forever.

So I've made some progress lately with this chiro. Friday I'm doing some lunges and out of the blue my left (non operated on) upper thigh feels like a knife got plunged into it. Something tightened up. It was sore all weekend but I was able to function, including a nice 8 miler Sunday. Monday the chiro gave it the Graston treatment. Seemed to loosen it up a bit. So later that evening while doing some core work I gave the lunges a shot. Went real slow and did not sink as far down. Felt a little tight but ok. Then on the second set I felt and heard a rip. It didn't hurt that much and really felt like two things stuck together pulling apart. It hurts a little today but not like a torn muscle (I know what that feels like). I ran after work and did not feel it much. I'm guessing fascia which may not be such a bad thing but FFS give me a break.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Yeah. So loads of people hearing about my symptoms are all, "you are probably just getting old". Um, no. Deep muscle pain out of nowhere is not a common symptom of being in the mid-40s.

I certainly didn't mean ti imply that this sounds like the normal consequences of aging.  In fact I can't say I've heard symptoms like this before. Hopefully they figure it out soon...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah I know you were not. I find it odd however how many people are implying that or simply saying it out right. So were supposed to give up and return 45?

Prince of Fatness

Yeah I know you were not. I find it odd however how many people are implying that or simply saying it out right. So were supposed to give up and return 45?

+1.  What you are describing does not sound to me like something that I would attribute to just getting old.  I'm 52 and if I had those symptoms I'd be getting checked out.

Anyway, didn't you have mono a while back?  Could it be related to that?  Also you do a bit of hiking could it be some sort of insect borne disease such as Lyme Disease?  Just some thoughts .... I have no clue.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We have wondered about mono, but that's now been six years, believe it or not. It's uncommon for it to come back in this way, maybe even unheard of. We did check for two infections related to Lyme disease that are common in middle Tennessee and they both tested negative. Lyme disease is very uncommon around here And we did not check for it, but may do so on the next round of testing. Regardless, I did take seven days of the antibiotic used to treat Lyme disease.

Sorry to have a new member into this circle of the wounded.  Hope you get that sorted out Trent.

As for that desk Jockey thing goes, I believe that's what caused my Meralgia. Not running for 6 months did not make it any better.  Only by resolving to never sit for more than 30 minutes at a time, stretching more diligently and taking up a couple of other sports where you use some rotational movement seems to have helped.  Getting back up to 40 mile weeks has been a struggle, but slowly getting there.

C-R

Sorry to hear bout the maladies in here.

That is odd Trent. How balanced is your diet recently?

I'm with you guys on the desk jockeu crap. I am going to an adjustable desk where I can stand or sit to prevent crap. Makes my lower legs tight from being on toes while sitting.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My diet is pretty excellent. Always the best late Summer and Fall.

So I've had this awful thing going on for little over two weeks where I have terrible muscle cramps and aches over most of my body, but primarily in my legs and lower back. It usually starts out mild in the morning, then gets worse through the day. It's making it hard to walk or run (or even sleep some nights).

Dude. I got nothing for you, but I hope it resolves, by itself or with simple intervention.

Have you tried baking pumpkin pies? It may take several ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau