3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Great news Rocken!

I finally bit the bullet and got an MRI done this week.  Diagnosis is that I have severe achilles tendinosis.  Doc said there is no major tear but the tendon is frayed about an inch above the insertion point.  Aside from that, there appears to be a stress fracture in the heal bone and a tendon (peroneus brevis) on the outside of the ankle that has a subtle tear.  I guess that means I get to let the fun continue of no running.  Plan is to go through a few weeks of PT.  If that doesn't do anything, then I'll need to immoblize the leg in a boot.  Last ditch effort to fix it is surgery but the other two routes should get me there.

bhearn

So did I. Looks like I'm better off than you are.

REPORT: Tibiotalar joint appears intact. Talar dome is preserved. There is no   
      osteochondral lesion identified. There are findings consistent with distal   
      Achilles tendinitis/tendinosis at its insertion with some intrasubstance signal   
      changes at this level and with some posterior calcaneal enthesophyte formation   
      and probable mild retrocalcaneal bursitis. Achilles tendon otherwise appears   
      intact with no gross tendon tear or rupture. Remainder of the normally   
      visualized ligaments and tendons appear intact. No soft tissue masses are   
      identified. There are no focal fluid collections. Trace tibiotalar joint fluid   
      is noted. 
      kcam

So did I. Looks like I'm better off than you are.

REPORT: Tibiotalar joint appears intact. Talar dome is preserved. There is no   
        osteochondral lesion identified. There are findings consistent with distal   
        Achilles tendinitis/tendinosis at its insertion with some intrasubstance signal   
        changes at this level and with some posterior calcaneal enthesophyte formation   
        and probable mild retrocalcaneal bursitis. Achilles tendon otherwise appears   
        intact with no gross tendon tear or rupture. Remainder of the normally   
        visualized ligaments and tendons appear intact. No soft tissue masses are   
        identified. There are no focal fluid collections. Trace tibiotalar joint fluid   
        is noted. 

Translation?

C-R

I think it means it's not serious but frankly it needs subtitles.

I hate this thread unless someone can post a recovery bit.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Happy to oblige.

As suddenly as it came on, my muscle pain syndrome went away. Have been a bit better for almost a week now.  Today, bhearn  and I hiked a fairly rigorous 9 mile hike over a mountain and down the other side, and back. No pain, just a lot of deconditioning on my part. And bhearn  look like he was rocking it

I hate this thread unless someone can post a recovery bit.

Sorry to hear about this mbehr - but it good you have a clear path forward.

Good news Trent/bhearn!

Great news Rocken!

I finally bit the bullet and got an MRI done this week.  Diagnosis is that I have severe achilles tendinosis.  Doc said there is no major tear but the tendon is frayed about an inch above the insertion point.  Aside from that, there appears to be a stress fracture in the heal bone and a tendon (peroneus brevis) on the outside of the ankle that has a subtle tear.  I guess that means I get to let the fun continue of no running.  Plan is to go through a few weeks of PT.  If that doesn't do anything, then I'll need to immoblize the leg in a boot.  Last ditch effort to fix it is surgery but the other two routes should get me there.

Feeling the growl again

Happy to oblige.

As suddenly as it came on, my muscle pain syndrome went away. Have been a bit better for almost a week now.  Today, bhearn  and I hiked a fairly rigorous 9 mile hike over a mountain and down the other side, and back. No pain, just a lot of deconditioning on my part. And bhearn  look like he was rocking it

Weird.  But sometimes, as long as it doesn't come back, you don't ask and just go with it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ughh.. that sucks Mbehr.

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

bhearn

Happy to oblige.

After two weeks of literally not being able to run a step after a 50M race due to Achilles tightness, it's like a switch was flipped. Last two weeks were 80 and 90 miles. Crossing my fingers for Desert Solstice 24 in 2.5 weeks.

But the Achilles damage is definitely still there, been there a year and a half. I'm seriously considering the Tenex procedure after that, or possibly the full surgery to go clean everything out.

I'm RUNNING! It's not much but more than I ever expected just a couple short months ago. At that time I wasn't sure I was going to get out of the wheel chair.

This indeed made my day....congrats Pam!

Ready, go.

bhearn

After two weeks of literally not being able to run a step after a 50M race due to Achilles tightness, it's like a switch was flipped. Last two weeks were 80 and 90 miles. Crossing my fingers for Desert Solstice 24 in 2.5 weeks.

But the Achilles damage is definitely still there, been there a year and a half. I'm seriously considering the Tenex procedure after that, or possibly the full surgery to go clean everything out.

Desert Solstice I'd have to call a success... 149.24 miles. A 10-mile PR, and an AR for 50+. Plus I did the WMA age-grading... it comes out to 166.5 miles, or just ahead of Scott Jurek's (then) AR in 2010. :-D But still maybe not good enough to make the US National Team. I won't know for a year; World Championships have gone to every other year, so the next one is in 2017.

And today I went under the knife for Tenex. Really a very minimally invasive procedure. But I'll be in a boot for 6 weeks. The decision was really pretty gut-churning, as my two doctors violently disagreed. The full-surgery guy has treated lots of Olympic runners, and is a 2:44 Boston guy himself. But... I'm not up for 6-8 months off. Crossing my fingers that Tenex will help, or at least not hurt.

Feeling the growl again

149+ miles injured?   Heh.

Hope this fixed it,  but that's a hell of a mobile injury!

Desert Solstice I'd have to call a success... 149.24 miles. A 10-mile PR, and an AR for 50+. Plus I did the WMA age-grading... it comes out to 166.5 miles, or just ahead of Scott Jurek's (then) AR in 2010. :-D But still maybe not good enough to make the US National Team. I won't know for a year; World Championships have gone to every other year, so the next one is in 2017.

And today I went under the knife for Tenex. Really a very minimally invasive procedure. But I'll be in a boot for 6 weeks. The decision was really pretty gut-churning, as my two doctors violently disagreed. The full-surgery guy has treated lots of Olympic runners, and is a 2:44 Boston guy himself. But... I'm not up for 6-8 months off. Crossing my fingers that Tenex will help, or at least not hurt.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Itbwas a short stint. I have been recently bern diagnosed with stiff person syndrome and Isaacs syndrome.  Im seeing a neuromuscular dr at Hopkins next week IF I  either get well en6to be released home on Monday or if the acute rehabospital and my insurance company will allow me to go. I've got some further testing to get done because they aren't sure if it's cancer related or autoimmune.  Anyway this sucks!!!!! But hey life gives ya what it gives ya. I still plan on getting back to running some how and posting my goals and crap here when i do.  This helps keep me going.

Happy New Years peeps!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Itbwas a short stint. I have been recently bern diagnosed with stiff person syndrome and Isaacs syndrome.  Im seeing a neuromuscular dr at Hopkins next week IF I  either get well en6to be released home on Monday or if the acute rehabospital and my insurance company will allow me to go. I've got some further testing to get done because they aren't sure if it's cancer related or autoimmune.  Anyway this sucks!!!!! But hey life gives ya what it gives ya. I still plan on getting back to running some how and posting my goals and crap here when i do.  This helps keep me going.

Happy New Years peeps!!!

Damn Rocken.  Glad to hear you are out.  I continue to hope you can get a firm diagnosis so they know how to proceed.  Your perseverance and positive attitude has my undying admiration.

bhearn

Damn Rocken.  Glad to hear you are out.  I continue to hope you can get a firm diagnosis so they know how to proceed.  Your perseverance and positive attitude has my undying admiration.

+1