3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Prince of Fatness

But it was mostly Milwaukees Best Light,

Yeah, me too.  I drank on a tight budget back then.  It didn't have to taste good.  It just had to be cheap.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

One day I'll try this "beer" stuff. I was an angel all those years. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Slo

The 80's witnessed the demise of many Beers / Breweries. Large and small.

Although you can still find some of these in regional markets, these are just some I can think of:

Schmidt

Old Milwaukee

Hamms

Olympia

Schlitz

Grain belt

Strohs

Falstaff

Pabst Blue Ribbon...Almost but making quite a resurgence

100's of small local breweies like Dubuque Star. Some survived and came out better. Leinenkugal used to be just a regional beer. They literally only had two delivery trucks. The craft scene has been very good to them.

From what I can gather the beer market took quite a dive in the 80's that sent breweries scrambling to formulate cheaper beers. (Milwuakees Best and my personal favorite; White can that read "Beer") Combine that with the light beer craze and the unwillingness of companies like Schlitz to provide a light beer...even though they bastardized thier formula anyway...Lots of old time 1800's brewers were either shut down or bought out.

BTW...Has anyone tried the re-introduced Schlitz by Pabst Brewery. At the risk of being ostracized, it really isn't a bad daily drinker.

One thing about those "Old School" beers. they were uniquely American and you knew your were drinking a beer. Not always a good beer but we are talking about your daily drinker. Pick up a Pabst and you'll now what I mean.

K...Back to Craft Beer.

Prince of Fatness

Schmidt - Fucking worst beer in the world

Old Milwaukee - A staple

Hamms - Probably one of the best low budget beers I had

Olympia - Never had it

Schlitz - Terrible

Grain belt - Never had it

Strohs - Not bad

Falstaff - never had it

Pabst Blue Ribbon...Almost but making quite a resurgence - OK

Add to that...

Red White and Blue

Peils

Iron City

Little Kings

Kroger Cost Cutter Beer - yes this was the generic brand.  It said "BEER" on the can and had a pair of scissors on it.  It was real bad.

I also drank a lot of malt liquor back then.  Cheap 40 oz bottles with a decent ABV.

I can't drink any of that shit now.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Hmmm....I saw Hamm's somewhere last week, I think.  Perhaps I should try some slumming.  Carrying out one wine box of beer on a $100 credit card charge was a bit painful.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Hmmm....I saw Hamm's somewhere last week, I think.  Perhaps I should try some slumming.  Carrying out one wine box of beer on a $100 credit card charge was a bit painful.

Dude Hamms wasn't bad but it's still "beer".  Those kids are going to suck the life right out of your wallet so I suppose you might as well get used to it.

Right now I am drinking a New Glarus Road Slush, sent to me by an imaginary internet friend.  Heh.

Not at it at all. 

Popped into Earth Fare on my way home tonight ... and they had Founders Breakfast Stout!  And now, so do I.

Since everyone's been so helpful: anyone know of a gluten-free beer besides Redbridge?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

Founders Breakfast Stout!

This is fast becoming one of my favorite stouts.  Be careful though, it has a high ABV and hides it well.  Yummy.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Dude Hamms wasn't bad but it's still "beer".  Those kids are going to suck the life right out of your wallet so I suppose you might as well get used to it.

Bah.  I don't eat filet mignon for every meal either.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Had a Samual Adams Imperial Series Double Bock. Didn't really care for it.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Had a Samual Adams Imperial Series Double Bock. Didn't really care for it.

I can't bring myself to try a lot of their attempts at crafty beer, when the bigger brewers try it the results are often disappointing.  Leinie's in particular lately.

I just learned that the Boston Beer Company is now the largest American brewer.

Though I did get a bottle of Infinium for us to share if you make it to his 100 day celebration in April.

L Train

I just learned that the Boston Beer Company is now the largest American brewer.

Hailing from just north of St. Louis, this saddens me.  It's actually something I never would have even considered when I was younger. 

Feeling the growl again

Hailing from just north of St. Louis, this saddens me.  It's actually something I never would have even considered when I was younger. 

Ditto.  I was surprised to say the least.

Popped a cork on a bottle of Chimay red tonight; went to the beer store to find some cheaper bulk drinking stuff (settles on SA Boston Lager) but my good ol' wife would not let me do wrong by myself.  It's good, but surprisingly not as good as the last couple bottle of it I've enjoyed.

Ostrich runner

The offshoring of the big breweries would be depressing if it weren't for the explosion in local and craft brewing. That our biggest macrobrewer makes pretty damn good beer and is only a couple decades old is exciting.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I usually like Sam Adams beers. Maybe I just don't like double bocks. I had a Paulaner Salvator that I didn't really care for either.

That Infinium looks pretty interesting. Kind of like a champagne beer, not in the Miller High Life way though. Joking

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.