3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I did not know Scotty's is opening in BB.  Where will it be located??

MTA:  Looks like they may be replacing the crapping Wings place that is shutting down?

Yup. That's the spot. The wings place shut down Dec 31. Not sure when it will open, but according to their website they've begun work.

http://www.scottysbrewhouse.com/locations/brownsburg/

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Well it says March so we'll need to meet up and break in some chairs for them.

Yup. That's the spot. The wings place shut down Dec 31. Not sure when it will open, but according to their website they've begun work.

http://www.scottysbrewhouse.com/locations/brownsburg/

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Wow.  My first drain pour in quite some time.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/65997/

Now, I am not a pepper guy to begin with, but most of the beers with peppers that I have had, while intense, were drinkable.  The peppers did not dominate.

This was different.  All peppers.  From the nose on.  Could not even distinguish what the base beer was.

Sorry, but if I wanted this I could do it cheaper.  I could grow some hot peppers, steep  them in some water, and drink that.  Fail.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Now, I am not a pepper guy to begin with, but most of the beers with peppers that I have had, while intense, were drinkable.  The peppers did not dominate.

This was different.  All peppers.  From the nose on.  Could not even distinguish what the base beer was.

Sorry, but if I wanted this I could do it cheaper.  I could grow some hot peppers, steep  them in some water, and drink that.  Fail.

I looked at Crime and Punishment on the shelf...looked them up on BA...and passed.  Apparently Crime is aptly named.

Conversely, the Vertical Epic 2011 was peppered but the balance was all there and we thought it was a really good beer.  So I got a 2012, and it disappointed.

MTA:  I'm on my second beer from the beer fairy tonight...it's been a good night.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Should I go?

http://www.999thehawk.com/CraftBeerFest.aspx

Today is the day.  Game on!  Will do my best to blow up untappd.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Be diligent. Check in regularly. You have not quite been training adequately from what I have seen, and so we need to keep an eye on your progress. An overuse injury would be a major setback today.

Prince of Fatness

Be diligent. Check in regularly. You have not quite been training adequately from what I have seen, and so we need to keep an eye on your progress. An overuse injury would be a major setback today.

This is where untappd comes in handy.  Having to check everything in slows you down and takes away the "chain drinking" aspect of it.  The other thing is that I am not going to drink everything offered.  Gonna try to up my unique count first, then maybe hit some favorites after that.

Samples are small but drink them for three hours and they add up.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Well that was fun.  I added 28 uniques on untappd.  Probably sampled 10 or 15 others.  There were some notable breweries but what I enjoyed most was the small start up breweries from the area.  Some do not even bottle yet.  Some good stuff.

MTA: Oh and untappd has caught on.  Lots of people checking in beers there.

Not at it at all. 

"The aroma has an amazing smell of dirty socks and grandpas asshole."

Stone should put that quote on their web site. Might as well lean into it.

C-R

"The aroma has an amazing smell of dirty socks and grandpas asshole."

Stone should put that quote on their web site. Might as well lean into it.

The two beer helpers I have at my local warned me off it and suggested Charred instead. Which the fellas and I did not get too open last time so its still sitting in the fridge being patient.

Epic quote.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

The two beer helpers I have at my local warned me off it and suggested Charred instead.

Yeah this really was my mistake.  I sometimes will buy beer on a whim without researching it or asking someone in the store.  I'll drink just about any beer and a drain pour is extremely rare for me to do.  Lesson learned.

Anyway, consider the drain pour a public service, taking one for the team as it were.  Do not buy Stone Crime (or Punishment for that matter, reviews are similar).

Not at it at all. 

pcaharrier

Sad to hear that a place like Stone that puts out such great stuff would come up with such a dud.  Thanks for the warning.

I picked up a four pack of Brewery Ommegang's Abbey Ale over the weekend.  I remembered it because at a beer tasting several years ago they had representatives from the brewery come down to run the tasting.  The Abbey Ale really is an outstanding beer (Belgian-style Dubbel with 8.5% ABV).  If I had an unlimited budget for adult beverages I'd have it a lot more often.

Feeling the growl again

Sad to hear that a place like Stone that puts out such great stuff would come up with such a dud.  Thanks for the warning.

Yes, Stone puts out some really good stuff but they also have a tendency to be edgy and aggressive on the unconventional additives.  On Crime and Punishment it appears they just went off that edge.

If it had been about any other brewery except Stone, I would never have bothered to look it up before I bought it.  But I'm aware of their tendencies so I checked it out and got tipped off before taking it off the shelf.

Prince of Fatness

Yes, Stone puts out some really good stuff but they also have a tendency to be edgy and aggressive on the unconventional additives.  On Crime and Punishment it appears they just went off that edge.

If it had been about any other brewery except Stone, I would never have bothered to look it up before I bought it.  But I'm aware of their tendencies so I checked it out and got tipped off before taking it off the shelf.

I don't think Stone goes farther to the edge with ingredients than most other notable craft breweries.  I think that to some degree craft breweries need to experiment since there are only so many styles and they need to distinguish themselves.  Thinking back at Stone's special release / collaboration stuff and I do not remember anything overly extreme.  I generally like them.

I have had a decent amount of beers with peppers before and in none of them did the peppers mask the other flavors in the beer.  Most I could barely smell them if at all.  The effect of the peppers was mostly aftertaste and residual heat.  This one was different.  Peppers from start to finish.  So while if I see the words Stone and peppers on the bottle from now on I will pass, but it won't keep me from trying any of their other stuff.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

Triton made a peppered beer in the last year or so. I thought it was nasty. Then I beer battered fish with it...if I ever open a place, it's on the menu.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum