3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Prince of Fatness

I can help with that, too.  Saturday I am having a brew day in my garage.  I am brewing a coffee porter.  Plenty of home brew and other craft beer will be served.  Come any time after noon.

It's been a long week and when I got home I did not feel like running, so I opened a home brew instead.  With brew day tomorrow I need to get a little prep work done anyway.  I just got done making the coffee concoction for the porter.  I am steeping a half pound of coffee in a quart of water at room temperature overnight.  That will yield me a pint of concentrated coffee.  I got the coffee from a local roaster.  Yum.  It makes the whole kitchen smell like coffee.

Now I need to make a yeast starter.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

From the beer fairy.   Nice brown ale.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

(..just liked this picture from Oktoberfest)

Vienna Oktoberfest coming up on Tuesday.  I sure hope I am not disappointed.  i ran by it at 5:15am and it smelled like a county fair, complete with carnies heckling me as I went by.  Funny how I knew they were hecking me even when I don't speak German.

So far I have had a couple beers here, I did not write them down and they were not noteworthy.  It is interesting to see people sitting outside their office, buying beers from street vendors and drinking them with their lunch.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

My neighbor was kind enough to share a bottle of this yesterday.  The bottle was from 2011.  I had about a 3 oz pour and all I can say is "WOW".

I will be seeking this one out.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My neighbor was kind enough to share a bottle of this yesterday.  The bottle was from 2011.  I had about a 3 oz pour and all I can say is "WOW".

We get a bunch of their beers here in town.

Big grin

Prince of Fatness

We get a bunch of their beers here in town.

Big grin

The name rang a bell.  When I saw that this beer was aged in Lagavulin bottles I was intrigued, as that is some mighty fine Scotch.  The peaty, smokey flavor was prominent, and the maltiness backed it up nicely.  I envision pouring a whole bottle and just sipping on it for a couple of hours.  It smells as good as it tastes.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They age their beers in all sorts of things. Armagnac barrels. Cognac barrels. Scotch barrels. All sorts of stuff. I can pick you up a few ifn you are interested.

Prince of Fatness

No need at this point.  My neighbor got it locally so I am thinking that it is something that has been under the radar so to speak.  They have my attention now.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

After several days of looking for real Viennese food and striking out -- they have a thing for Asian restaurants here, apparently -- we finally asked directions and got to a place. Turns out they make their own beer. So I had a locally made Marzen. Pretty good, not the best I have had. We stopped by the Oktoberfest briefly. I was a bit disappointed, from what I saw it was a big county fair with more beer. Did not see a real beer garden or anything but we did not go too far in. I will probably go back anyways as it is close.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, go into one of the big beer halls.

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, go into one of the big beer halls.

This is not Munich. Did much online research with little to show for it. The place I found last night is apparently one of the better ones. Probably the best beer garden in the city is fit near the Oktoberfest so we will likely eat there first.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If it ain't Munich, it ain't Oktoberfest.

Feeling the growl again

If it ain't Munich, it ain't Oktoberfest.

"Vienna's answer to Oktoberfest." Yes. It is not, but it's a hell of a lot closer than Indy. Went back to the same place as last night after my run. Two marzens and a "dark beer". It was all good baby.

Prince of Fatness

Mission accomplished, as two bottles are in hand.  Good thing that I have lots of other beer because I want to age these for a while.

I almost pulled the trigger on one aged in cognac barrels but refrained.   Trying to stay on somewhat of a beer budget.

MTA:  Noticed that I had the wrong beer in the link, this one is correct ..... click.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Had these last night.

I believe the Yazoo Hefeweizen was the last of the summer beers I had. Crisp with lots of banana.

The Hop Bomber was decent.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.