3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

C-R

Awesome Kelly

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

L Train

These are great to see, Kelly. 

Feeling the growl again

Ran a fairly easy 10 miler tonight.  It started off rough and windy, and I didn't feel particularly well...

Then 4 or so miles in I had a revelation. I had been running scared. Hypersensitive to every feeling and ache and pain. Worried about too many things. Uptight. 

So I relaxed. I decided to ignore all of that and try to just enjoy the run. Have some fun.

I felt so much better, and actually ran faster... Not anything amazing really, but really encouraging that I might be able to pick up pretty much where I left off...

-Kelly

This is so great to hear.  I am very happy that your road back appears to be a short one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

3 x (6 x 400 at 87 seconds + .15 mi recovery) 

800 m recovery between sets. 

Ouchers. Trying to keep track of where I was in the set was harder than running it. Splits were pretty consistent, got to remember, I can't go out guns a blazin when there are 18 of the damn things to do. 

86,84,87,90,83,90,83, 86, 85, 82, 85, 83, 78, 83, 84, 86 

I need to learn how to run these things with a consistent pace and set my watch up for the work out before hand.   Got lost a few times with keeping track of where I was at, etc.

Ended up averaging 5:47 / mile over the intervals. 

L Train

I had a really bad workout this week.  The only redeeming quality is that it was, indeeed, a workout.  Sort of. 

Prince of Fatness

I had a really bad workout this week.  The only redeeming quality is that it was, indeeed, a workout.  Sort of. 

Well that's more than I have done.  Although while slogging through the trails today I inhaled a couple of mayflies.  They are out early this year.  I got a pretty good gag reflex out of the deal.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Well that's more than I have done.  Although while slogging through the trails today I inhaled a couple of mayflies.  They are out early this year.  I got a pretty good gag reflex out of the deal.

I am sure my BIL could tell you what species it was, he has a PHD in mayflies. I shite you not. He names a species after my sister. So romantic... I am doing a workout tomorrow. It will be awesome or very, very ugly. I have not done this one in years so I am a bit intimidated by it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am doing a workout tomorrow. It will be awesome or very, very ugly.

The pessimistic version of Trent's signature?

Kelly, I just caught your post.  Glad things are getting back on track.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

A little confused - Last night I was going to do 5x5 minutes @ 30 minute race pace.  I like to run 12-14 miles as a warm up.  I actually had to walk a little in warm up I was feeling weird?  Usually what happens in 40+ mile runs - I hit a stretch where hydration, electrolytes or fueling is goofy and I get higher HR - Higher Sweat ... Maybe it is the point where my body starts to conserve glycogen?

So I started the speed portion @ 11 miles.  My legs could have killed it, so it was comfortable for them - But sweat - breathing - floaty the whole speed part.  I was really slow - I would hope that this would be @ the pace I could run a 1/2 marathon ???  At the end of the last interval - I took the pace to the correct pace and my hamstring barked.

I am not reading too much into the work out - Last night I hardly slept - Felt like I had way over-did it.  This AM I sloshed through 5 slow miles - Very hard to do.  I weighed post run this am and I am both dehydrated and very low of glycogen ... or else 10 pounds of fat magically disappeared in 2 days ... not.

My kids have had / wife currently has the flu - It could also be that - But I would write it off as too little nutrition and hydration.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

I inhaled a couple of mayflies.

Uncomfortable.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I am doing a workout tomorrow. It will be awesome or very, very ugly. I have not done this one in years so I am a bit intimidated by it.

It must have been ugly, no update yet.

Got a little something in to see the damage of the last 6 pitiful weeks.  3 mile tempo in 17:02.  Felt relaxed and controlled.  Could have hammered it harder but wanted to keep it a tempo effort.  Not too bad.  After a couple of consistent weeks, the legs will be back.  Although the run wasn't much, it sure felt damn good.

DoppleBock

I am doing a workout tonight - It is likely to be ugly and not awesome - But I can dream.

Still feel like I was hit by bus this mornings 8.  I tried and eat more before Nooner 6 and it went better - I am trying to eat even more before tonight's speed workout - Hoping for a miracle.  Goal is something LAT - Minimum or 20 minutes @ LAT - Max would be 5x2 miles @ 1/2M pace - It would be a miracle if I got 5x2.

Feeling the growl again

I am doing a workout tomorrow. It will be awesome or very, very ugly. I have not done this one in years so I am a bit intimidated by it.

It must have been ugly, no update yet.

Got a little something in to see the damage of the last 6 pitiful weeks.  3 mile tempo in 17:02.  Felt relaxed and controlled.  Could have hammered it harder but wanted to keep it a tempo effort.  Not too bad.  After a couple of consistent weeks, the legs will be back.  Although the run wasn't much, it sure felt damn good.

Good to hear you're still in decent shape.  Not a bad platform to build on.

Work left me in no shape to try the workout I had planned.  In fact after not having seen my family in almost a week I blew off running entirely yesterday to spend time with them instead.

I'll do a moderate workout tonight and aim to destroy myself with the other workout this weekend.  2mi warmup then 5-4-3-2-1mile intervals at ~5:50 with 1 mile 6:30 as a "recovery".  So ~22 miles in total, at an overall average of just a tad over 6:00/mile.  If I can do it without wrecking myself, it should make 2:35 look manageable, no?

DoppleBock

This workout sounds stupid - I used to try this workout - It made me fail doing the Jack Daniels program (In 2006).  I guess I was going them @ LAT pace and you are trying them at your hopeful marathon pace - But is still brings back unpleasant memories. 

I'll do a moderate workout tonight and aim to destroy myself with the other workout this weekend.  2mi warmup then 5-4-3-2-1mile intervals at ~5:50 with 1 mile 6:30 as a "recovery".  So ~22 miles in total, at an overall average of just a tad over 6:00/mile.  If I can do it without wrecking myself, it should make 2:35 look manageable, no?

I like how you call this a "moderate workout."