3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Feeling the growl again

Just because it seemed like Spaniel was having all the fun, I decided to give it a go for a 4-mi tempo. Built into it and averaged 5:40 pace (22:40).  Legs actually felt pretty good.

Nice.  I'm still chasing you down to 16. Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Don't count on 2:50 getting you first corral. This year BadDawg was 1266 off a 2:47:52. True, this year was special, but the cutoffs are getting faster every year.

I'm trying to be smart about this one.  Smile

I really think things will not be as competitive next year.  For one, I will be shocked if the field size stays the same.  But of course I don't know.  But if mbehr ran a 2:45 then I should really not be targeting that fast coming off a string of DNFs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

I really think things will not be as competitive next year.  For one, I will be shocked if the field size stays the same.  But of course I don't know.  But if mbehr ran a 2:45 then I should really not be targeting that fast coming off a string of DNFs.

Just get the BQ and you can lower the bar later. That was my thought.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Don't count on 2:50 getting you first corral. This year BadDawg was 1266 off a 2:47:52. True, this year was special, but the cutoffs are getting faster every year.

This year was different. I don't think it will be that fast next year either.

And, you really need to wait until closer to race day to know what the weather will be like. Strong winds, humid conditions, sunny and warm. All of those could change the game

Feeling the growl again

Just get the BQ and you can lower the bar later. That was my thought.

I really don't want to run another marathon this year.  Last year the deadline ended up being in September, so that means being almost assured of having to run a hot race.  I want to get this out of the way now and focus on rebuilding through next spring.  Unless as mbehr said the weather screws me, I'm thinking the 2:50 plan is a good middle ground.  If I feel good at 18-20 that can easily turn into a 2:46-2:47.

If I actually went all the way until fall without a re-emergence of the injury, the only long race I'd want to consider is my 50-mile nemesis.

Feeling the growl again

18-miler first 12 honest effort 6:35 pace.  Planned on last 6 hard but somehow the wind switched and I ran most of the whole dang thing into it so I upped the effort but it didn't show much running uphill into the wind.  Still dropped 5:59-5:50 for the last two though, and wasn't dead at the end, so I'm pretty optimistic 2 weeks out from the marathon.

I ran a 16.5 mile week, and a couple of the 30 minute runs that made up that week were still at an average pace in the high 8s.  Not Hurtlocker paces or distances, but happy to be running.  Hoping to get out for 40-45 minutes tomorrow, excitement!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

I ran a 16.5 mile week, and a couple of the 30 minute runs that made up that week were still at an average pace in the high 8s.  Not Hurtlocker paces or distances, but happy to be running.  Hoping to get out for 40-45 minutes tomorrow, excitement!

I'm impressed you're still out there getting it done.  Running high 8s while carrying another person sounds pretty tough to me.

Whereas I'm impressed with your 18 miler.

I'm running by feel at the moment, somewhere in the easy zone but still feeling like I'm running, not checking pace, just time out - stops me doing any heroics - although I do struggle not to race people who overtake when I know I could keep up with them.  Everything feels harder for the pace than it did pre-bump but as I'm running less that could be more down to fitness than pregnancy, however the bump is a bit awkward in terms of comfort - not painful or anything, more like running with a full bladder that you want to empty and having eaten a meal.  I'm just happy to be out at the moment.  I'd like to be out for longer but my bladder sometimes dictates otherwise, and I'm also slightly wary of running too long as I'm struggling to hydrate at the moment.  Plus I'm being a a bit over cautious in maintaining energy when I run at the start of the day as I still have the working day ahead of me (with 3 mile walk either end and lots of standing and rushing around in the lab), or at the weekend where all the DIY means I'm also quite active (even though it isn't really exercise of any form).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had hoped for more mileage at my 24-hr run last weekend, and planned to easily parlay that into a new 7-day high mileage. I wound up with only 60 at the run, so had to work to get the high mileage, but finished the week with 140 (previous high was 126). No speedwork at all Smile

Might get back to speedwork by next weekend.

Hoppity's preggers running sounds really impressive. Wow. Heck, if you were my wife, I'd suggest you take it a bit easier...   (Not that I have any medical knowledge in the field.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Nice week AP!  Crikey, that's a lot of miles.

I am taking it very easy, and am listening to my body.  The turtle ran with me today and agreed that I wasn't being an idiot :-)

Feeling the growl again

Nice.  I think the only time I ever topped that was during the December 2011 stunt when I did 148-149, never did hit 150.

I had hoped for more mileage at my 24-hr run last weekend, and planned to easily parlay that into a new 7-day high mileage. I wound up with only 60 at the run, so had to work to get the high mileage, but finished the week with 140 (previous high was 126). No speedwork at all Smile

Might get back to speedwork by next weekend.

Hoppity's preggers running sounds really impressive. Wow. Heck, if you were my wife, I'd suggest you take it a bit easier...   (Not that I have any medical knowledge in the field.)

C-R

So the entire Hop family is out running together. Very nice. Glad you can keep some exercise going in a safe and healthy way.

I bet you already have a baby size pair of Asics or New Balance for the tyke.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

So I tried doing a few strides after the run run today. Holy crap that sucked.  6:30 pace for 6 miles was waaayy easier. Felt like I was moving through thick mud.  It's a start though. I haven't done strides in a long time so I have to ease into it.