3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

RunningAhead's Steepler

I finally succeeded, but not in the way I intended... While on a run with a buddy we had to cross a iced over small creek. I went to step on and my “buddy” gave me a push one leg went through the ice and got stuck while the rest of my body kept going, my ankle is now the size of a balloon and I was just getting into my groove of 55 mile weeks. I think I can still salvage this week if it heels up quick.

Pr's 400: 51.5 800: 1:59 1600: 4:27 3200: 9:48 5k: 16:06 10k :36:12 HM: 1:24 Marathon: Coming in 2015-2020

Feeling the growl again

I finally succeeded, but not in the way I intended... While on a run with a buddy we had to cross a iced over small creek. I went to step on and my “buddy” gave me a push one leg went through the ice and got stuck while the rest of my body kept going, my ankle is now the size of a balloon and I was just getting into my groove of 55 mile weeks. I think I can still salvage this week if it heels up quick.

Ouch.

In 2006 I was doing a fartlek workout on a sidewalk next to a major street.  I was doing a fast section, cruising along about 5:10/mile pace or better.  I saw that they had removed a 3ft section of the sidewalk; since it was cold I did not think twice, I simply planted my foot on what looked like snow covering frozen dirt near the far end of the dirt section.  Turned out that the snow had insulated the ground, which had not refrozen, and was a muddy soup.  My foot went down several inches and, much like your experience, my toe went under the far side piece of concrete and anchored me.  My momentum pivoted me around it and smack down into the pavement at high speed.

The wind was knocked out of me and I banged up my knee and hands pretty bad.  I limped around drunkenly for a minute...someone on the main road actually stopped and turned around to see if I was ok and needed a ride anywhere.  He said he was surprised I got up from how it looked.  I thanked him but managed to jog home and was more or less ok after some ibuprofen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ouch indeed.  Hope you also heal quickly.

I'm settled in now I think in the just over 100k a week range.  Having taken things relatively "easy" while building mileage, then had a recovery week, this was my first week of combining quality with my new mileage level.  I did a 5k race on Tues, a longish hill run (17.6k on this course) on Thurs and yesterday (Sat) a long run of 27.4k.  Total for the week will be 105k after todays easy run.  I've got heavy legs but nothing sore so I'm quite pleased with my first go at this Smile

RunningAhead's Steepler

Good news, Ice x heat x All night and morning allowed me to get a easy 9 out of it while watching a indoor track meet. I'm running the two mile next week but my ankle still hurts when I turn it to the side. My spikes arent all that supportive or keep my feet in line at all (Nike Victory) so hopefully its completely cleared by then. Any tips/suggestions?

Pr's 400: 51.5 800: 1:59 1600: 4:27 3200: 9:48 5k: 16:06 10k :36:12 HM: 1:24 Marathon: Coming in 2015-2020

Feeling the growl again

Good news, Ice x heat x All night and morning allowed me to get a easy 9 out of it while watching a indoor track meet. I'm running the two mile next week but my ankle still hurts when I turn it to the side. My spikes arent all that supportive or keep my feet in line at all (Nike Victory) so hopefully its completely cleared by then. Any tips/suggestions?

Nice, glad it is doing better and hope the tight indoor turns don't set you back.

I've avoided flats and doubles (hurting my volume a lot) and since the 2 days off I seem to have slow improvement despite throwing down 3 decent workouts this week -- 10 miles in 58:34, 3X1.5 miles @ 5:27 pace, and 16 miles in under 1:40, 10@ 6:27 then 6 averaging 5:54.  I'm happy with this being that it was all in trainers....feels so awkward.

I'm going to add back some doubles first, and if that goes ok I'll try flats again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Seanv2

Looks like I may have hurt myself, lot of pain in the PF area after a fast ten miler today. Icing it right now, I hope it is better tomorrow.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fast 16 miles.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Fast 16 miles.

Thanks.  Now that I have that down I should start adding a few miles to the run.

We seem to be a beat up bunch in here right now.  Sheesh.

I forced myself onto the treadmill this morning, and made it a whole 0.04 miles before my heel told me NO WAY IN HELL BUDDY and shot me off the back of the belt.  Delayed running until lunch when it loosened up and it felt fine.

I can't run at lunch often so my volume is going to continue to suffer from this.

...my heel told me NO WAY IN HELL BUDDY and shot me off the back of the belt...

A whole new way of getting injured!

RunningAhead's Steepler

14 miles fairly hard, my longest run ever by a half mile. Im sure I will still be feeling this tomorrow!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Damn it man - Get better! 

Guys - thanks for the advice and encouragement. I haven't run over the weekend - but have been pretty active. The AT has improved slightly, and is only moderately sore now. I suspect that the underlying cause lies somewhere higher up my leg, possibly calves / hamstrings. I am going to try to run again later today and will try to get a sports massage.

Nice.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

C-R

Guys - thanks for the advice and encouragement. I haven't run over the weekend - but have been pretty active. The AT has improved slightly, and is only moderately sore now. I suspect that the underlying cause lies somewhere higher up my leg, possibly calves / hamstrings. I am going to try to run again later today and will try to get a sports massage.

My trouble was in the calves. Peronious to be exact. A real mo fo to get at and it hurts when they do get there.

Just based on that level of pain, I say pay the extra ten pounds and go for the happy ending.

Being the contrarian that I am I am healing myself. Nothing but easy base building miles. Ham and groin (sounds like a bad 80's rock group) are now recovering. Until I run with Spaniel on Sat. Oh well.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Until I run with Spaniel on Sat. Oh well.

Until I get fast again, somebody has to be my bitch.

C-R

Until I get fast again, somebody has to be my bitch.

one of these days we are going golfing and im going to have some payback :-)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/