3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

It does come at a hight cost

*  No time for other hobbies I love

*  It hits the doing stuff with friends hard 

*  I am only 75% the employee I could be

While I was in grad school I was a renter (no house/lawn maintenance), controlled my own schedule a ton more, and had more weekend flexibility to pursue other hobbies (hunting/shooting).   I managed hunting season by bowhunting in my boss's backyard within running distance of my house and using late November as my yearly downtime from running.  Commute ranged from 5min to 30min one way during this time.

Now aside from duties with the kids, my commute is 30-50min one way (damn construction, it will be back to 30 next year), I bought property that requires significant time to upkeep/develop the way I want it, and I work a good number of weekend (leaving more to cram into the other ones other than running).  Also I typically refuse to inconvenience my wife as much anymore, she has given up enough for my running.

To balance it I can now shoot in my backyard (which I rarely have time to do), I hunt less days per year and have been consolidating it into a couple trips.

Honestly, the loss in schedule flexibility due to work/kids has had the biggest impact.  I worked 10-15 hours/day in grad school but I could move it around my running schedule.  I am also significantly affected by stress load so things are harder now too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I might hurt myself tomorrow.  I hope not.  If fire and desire win over despair, I just might.  Hopefully I'll be just on the right side of courage and stupidity.  Come on. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

C-R

A true HTFU moment.

No excuses Nads. Go get it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Impressive. 

Feeling the growl again

A true HTFU moment.

You think that is good?  THIS IS HOW YOU HTFU.

In case you don't remember the story, she snaps one leg, gets back up, snaps the other bone, and then crawls across the line.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Daaaammmnnnn!

and I was pissing and moaning about a little cold weather this morning.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A true HTFU moment.

Got it, C-R!

Feeling the growl again

The question now is, how bad did WG hurt herself today?  We've got a good layer of snow here and it has been coming down all day until just now.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The question now is, how bad did WG hurt herself today?  We've got a good layer of snow here and it has been coming down all day until just now.

What did she run today?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

What did she run today?

I'm not absolutely sure of her last name but it appears about 4:36?  21st woman?  Looks like a pretty good showing to me.

For perspective, only one guy barely broke 3 and the guy in 2nd in 3:04 is a 2:26 marathoner. No idea how hard he ran this one but even if he was taking it easy....

Way to go WG!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Heh, I meant, what race, but I've since seen the thread saying she did Tecumseh Trail. (Yeah, you picked the correct result.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Electric Koolaid

I'm not absolutely sure of her last name but it appears about 4:36?  21st woman?  Looks like a pretty good showing to me.

For perspective, only one guy barely broke 3 and the guy in 2nd in 3:04 is a 2:26 marathoner. No idea how hard he ran this one but even if he was taking it easy....

Way to go WG!

last years results, this year's winning time was 3:23. That's some tuff conditions!

Question...how did she do better than last year? WTF

Feeling the growl again

Question...how did she do better than last year? WTF

Because she's tuff.  

Nice race WG.  I saw that snow coming down and was really wishing I could have done it, it's been too long since I ran in conditions like that.

obsessor

C-R called this place The Hurtlocker today.  I think it fits and we should be "2000+ miles in the Hurtlocker" or just "The Hurtlocker" since we need no affiliation with the swamp any longer.  Seems to be what half of us plan on doing to ourselves this year.

seconded. 

Ostrich runner

Yeah...so what is the deal with the swamp and this group? Haven't ever really figured out why most of the conversations on RA go on in members groups.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum