3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

I took a bad spill on my morning bike commute. Hit some black ice...went down hard.

My left arm is pretty much useless. Can not get my elbow away from my side. No strength, shards of pain. My fear is that I tore my rotator cuff.

Ride home was pretty miserable. Did a 10 mile run...no arm swing.

Just finished a Fat Tire 1554...popped the top on an Old Thumper...Ice on the shoulder. No advil in the house.

Dang Slo, I hope it just turns out to be an annoying sprain.  

Have another beer, I think the conversion for Advil is 2:1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

My advice is to start drinking heavily.

and you better listen to me, I'm pre-med.

MTA: That sucks and I hope its nothing serious.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I took a bad spill on my morning bike commute. Hit some black ice...went down hard.

My left arm is pretty much useless. Can not get my elbow away from my side. No strength, shards of pain. My fear is that I tore my rotator cuff.

Ride home was pretty miserable. Did a 10 mile run...no arm swing.

Just finished a Fat Tire 1554...popped the top on an Old Thumper...Ice on the shoulder. No advil in the house.

Damn Slo, that sucks!  Hopefully things aren't as bad as you think.  What's the verdict today on the damage done?

Prince of Fatness

That sucks.  Are you going to go get checked out?

Not at it at all. 

Slo

It was a rough night sleeping.

Today it's the same. I have no reach. Even sitting here at my desk I need to slide my arm across the desk to grab anything. There is just no support.

It's very hard to tell right now if it's a sprain or if there is more damage. Having already experienced a torn rotator cuff and labrum in my right arm  leaves me a little unsettled with what I am now experiencing in my left. There is a tender spot on the front of the shoulder but that's not where I am experiencing the pain but I am taking that as a good sign. The pain is across the top and down the side...no pain flexing the bicep (goodthing),

So, I just need some time. For now, with only minor discomfort, I can still run (albeit with no left arm swing) and I can still bike.

Slo

That sucks.  Are you going to go get checked out?

Too early yet. My Doc will have me wait two weeks and then re-evaluate. An MRI today would give results but even with a tear I suspect he would go the conservative route with PT and exercise before sending me off to an ortho.

Wow, Slo_Hand, I hope it turns out to just be a tweak of some kind.  At least you've got some experience with shoulder injuries and know what to do.

FWIW, I hurt my left shoulder over time from a ridiculously over-long golf swing.  Went to the doc when it was as bad as yours sounds (couldn't move it without severe pain, had to wear a sling as even letting it hang at my side hurt).  The inflammation in it was so bad that the MRI came out solid white in that area -- doc said even if there was a tear, there'd be no way to see it with all that noise.

Some PT and a swing modification completely cured me, though.  (*knock on wood*)  Fingers crossed for you.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Kalsarikännit

Slo, no more falling between now and RAGBRAI please.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Slo

Yes...No more falling before RAGBRAI !!

Speaking of which...RAGBRAI ends in my town this year (Clinton). If Team Good Beer needs a spot for the bus let me know...Day parking or overnight with facilities.

Kalsarikännit

Yes...No more falling before RAGBRAI !!

Speaking of which...RAGBRAI ends in my town this year (Clinton). If Team Good Beer needs a spot for the bus let me know...Day parking or overnight with facilities.

Yeah!  I will let the group know.  We usually head right to one of the team member's house in Davenport, but it is nice to have options.  Maybe we can use your place as a meet up point before we head out to his place.  You can help us finish off any of the remaining good beer.

MTA:  You inspired me to get crackin on the initial call list that will turn into the bar guide (after talking to hundreds of employees at bars that say things such as, "Good beer?  Well...we got bud").  Any place in Clinton that you think has a great beer selection?  I saw the town has a place called the Slaughterhouse Brewery?

Slo

MTA:  You inspired me to get crackin on the initial call list that will turn into the bar guide (after talking to hundreds of employees at bars that say things such as, "Good beer?  Well...we got bud").  Any place in Clinton that you think has a great beer selection?  I saw the town has a place called the Slaughterhouse Brewery?

Slaughterhouse Brewery never happened. Cry

Two establishments I would recommend are Lyons Tap on Main Street...not a huge beer selection but they do promote Old Potosi and Hooks Pub (21 beers on tap) on 4th st. I am lobbying for a route thru the city that will take us right past Lyons Tap and just 2 streets off of Hooks. Either spots would be good team hook up locations and should be running promotions.

On the far end of town away from the river is The Rodeo Saloon...several Iowa Micro brews on Tap.

If you want phone numbers let me know and I'll PM them to you.

Feeling the growl again

While I was in to my GP to get the orders for bloodwork to get my thyroid medication renewed, because I detailed the issues I'd been having for several weeks with my running he threw a ferretin test on there as well.  Yup, despite almost 3 weeks of heavy supplementation, I was still in the very low end of normal...who knows how low I had bottomed out.

They told me I should start some iron supplements.  Thanks buddy, I've all over that.  Wonder how much I'll end up paying for that advice...talk about running by feel...good thing I was ahead of the game, when I shake this illness in a day or two I'm going to make some workouts cry for mercy.

I am glad I have a GP that takes me seriously though.  I went through 3 before I finally got one that felt it was reasonable to refer me to an endocrinologist for the thyroid and even test my ferretin without a drawn out argument.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kalsarikännit

.  I went through 3 before I finally got one that felt it was reasonable to refer me to an endocrinologist for the thyroid

At least that would explain your temperature.  I went in to my doc and she treated my concerns about my temperature like it was no big deal.  We did a blood test and she said my thyroid levels were normal.  It bothers me though because I am always cold.  My normal temp is in the mid 96's.  Two weeks ago I could not warm up after a run.  I had layers of clothes on, a thick robe, and a blanket wrapped around me.  I took my temp and it was in the 92's.  

On the plus side, I haven't had an air conditioner in over 10 years.  Big grin

Feeling the growl again

At least that would explain your temperature.  I went in to my doc and she treated my concerns about my temperature like it was no big deal.  We did a blood test and she said my thyroid levels were normal.  It bothers me though because I am always cold.  My normal temp is in the mid 96's.  Two weeks ago I could not warm up after a run.  I had layers of clothes on, a thick robe, and a blanket wrapped around me.  I took my temp and it was in the 92's.  

On the plus side, I haven't had an air conditioner in over 10 years.  Big grin

Yeah, my temp is 95-96.  Our house is set at 68, I walk around in a long sleeve T with a hooded sweatshirt over it...sometimes a sweatshirt-weight vest over that.  Thyroid medication has not changed that.  Personally I would prefer they had at least TRIED one dose level higher to see how I felt, but they are treating the number and the number is "fine" now.

As my body temp has gone down in recent years, my tolerance for running in the heat has too.

C-R

If you guys would fatten up like me, you might stay warmer. Drink more beer.

Seriously though, I've recently been dealing with Renaud's (sp) syndrome and it plain sucks. Thankfully it's only in my hands but makes winter and long runs oh so enjoyable after the fact. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/