3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

If you guys would fatten up like me, you might stay warmer. Drink more beer.

I was about to post something about if Spaniel wasn't so damn skinny and fast, he might stay warmer.

Good luck with the Reynauld's.  My SIL has it, too, and she's given up on skiing, skating, and the like -- too painful.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

my tolerance for running in the heat has too.

I've never had much of a tolerance for running in heat.  Don't know about core body temp but I just sweat too damn much.  It's always been the case for me. 

If you guys would fatten up like me, you might stay warmer. Drink more beer.

Seriously though, I've recently been dealing with Renaud's (sp) syndrome and it plain sucks. Thankfully it's only in my hands but makes winter and long runs oh so enjoyable after the fact. 

Renaud's syndrome SUCKS ASS!!! Mine has gotten worse over the years. Can't even go in the seafood section or refridgerated section of a grocery store store without having issue's.  Between my feet and hands.  I too also have a low body temp, however I find if I shower and eat the calories that my body needs (not what I want) I have no problem warming up. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

Renaud's syndrome SUCKS ASS!!! Mine has gotten worse over the years. Can't even go in the seafood section or refridgerated section of a grocery store store without having issue's.  Between my feet and hands.  I too also have a low body temp, however I find if I shower and eat the calories that my body needs (not what I want) I have no problem warming up. 

Yeah my wife has that, along with some other auto immune stuff going on.  She has had half of her thyroid removed and takes medication.  She also has the low body temp and is always cold.  That Renaud's is whacky.  She will show me her hands and a couple of fingers are ghost white.  Weird.

So while I personally don't have to deal with it I have a front row seat.  I feel for you guys.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

So while I personally don't have to deal with it I have a front row seat.  I feel for you guys.

I'm glad you're feeling cause when it flares up I can feel shit.

It does get some great comments from the kids though. Usually something about Dad being a zombie. I'll take what I can get.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Too early yet. My Doc will have me wait two weeks and then re-evaluate. An MRI today would give results but even with a tear I suspect he would go the conservative route with PT and exercise before sending me off to an ortho.

Any news on how things are looking?

BTW, the DW is really wanting to ride the last couple of days of RAGBRAI.  Her training group is trying to get a team in the lottery or however they do that.  I'd be curious to hear from any of you past participants on how to handle logistics for a couple of days vs the week.  I know you can get day passes to ride.  I'd assume most everyone has a support crew and someone that drives a car with supplies?

Slo

The shoulder sucks. It hasn't stopped me from running or riding but there have been a few very painful moments associated with both. I'm not sure what to do...If I go to the doc and it's torn or other I'm not in a position to got thru the surgery right now. I've been able to manage daily living so my answer may be right there...deal with it.

RAGBRAI...I know RAGBRAI talks about the lottery but I have never heard of anyone not getting in.

In a nut shell there are four ways to do RAGBRAI...there's more but here's the basics

Self supported Team. (Register as a team)

Generally these folks have a bus or RV and find thier own host homes or property to park and camp, shower, shit and shave. (That's us)

Charters (Register as a charter team member or as individual )

Sign up with a charter, they haul your butt and gear out, haul your gear for the week, secure your campsite. Some provide a shower service, most do not. It's a nice way to ride worry free for a couple of people or single riders.

Single riders, week long  RAGBRAI Support. (Register as a single rider)

Ragbrai will transport your gear from town to town and get you a camp area. Don't be late getting your gear on the truck in the morning. You can also register as a single rider and register a support vehicle.

Bandit (Don't Register - Just do it)

Completely self supported. Your responsible for your gear, finding a camp site, a shower, etc.

I don't know if RAGBRAI hauls daily pass gear or not. I don't know if daily passes get you a campsite.

I'd love to offer my teams support but I know we are picking up some extra people the last fews days so we may be at our capacity.

Kalsarikännit

I don't know if RAGBRAI hauls daily pass gear or not. I don't know if daily passes get you a campsite.

I don't think there is anything about RAGBRAI giving you a campsite.  I think it is more a free-for-all of open areas (fairgrounds, town parks, school fields) that are just open for general camping.  No one is looking for wristbands.  Half the people don't have them anyways (last year or the year before they were crappy and everyone's broke).

I really don't think most people on RAGBRAI have a support crew.  What you pay for is to have RAGBRAI haul your stuff.  If you choose to have someone else do it, that is your decision.  If you have RAGBRAI haul your stuff you can have a pretty cheap week.  $150 for a week is pretty awesome.  The day pass doesn't get your stuff hauled, though.

I chose to go with a charter my first year for convenience.    Pork Belly.  They were great.  I think space with the charters can go quickly.

We have no problem finding a driver.  With a full week and a good sized team, there are people that don't want to ride all day, every day.  They pick up some groceries during the day, meet all of us in the lunch town, get into camp early, and get an early start on the good beer.

Mbehr, if your wife gets a team together can't you just tag along with them for the last couple of days?  Have any of them done this before?

Sorry.  A lot of ramblings.  Slo_Hand covered the important stuff.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Slo

Yeah...What WG said about the camp sites...

It's pretty much a free for all. RAGBRAI works with the towns to obtain enough space. This space will be ball parks, school yards or about any greenspace the town can muster. It's been my understanding that to use these spots one needed a wrist band. I've never been checked entering a camp area. It's not uncommon to see people camped out in Wal Mart parking lots either.

Our team uses mutual connections and what not to find host homes...We have volunteer fireman, chiropractors, a vet etc. On the town I'm responsible for I contact the volunteer fire department chief and can usually get a name or two to get in touch with. A buddy of mine looks up the CPA in that town. A lawn with access to a shower and toilet is all you need. (In our case a spot to park a 40ft RV)

I think Wrigly Girls team Good Beer just promises thier host free beer. Some teams have a certain reputation and don't have to look for hosts...prospective host come looking for them.

Hope the shoulder gets to feeling better ASAP slow!!!

As for me, I'm not injured however it looks like I caught the cough my son and FIL have/had. Hope I can shake this thing in much less time than the 3 weeks that my son had it

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

So my numb leg has returned.  Sunday during my long run I had to cut it a little short.  Since I have been massaging the hell out of my glute and quad on my right side.  Today I did better on my tempo run than I thought that I would.  Just a few minutes before I was done it started acting up, but then it settled back down and I finished OK.

It's weird.  The numbness, or loss of control, is all above the knee.  It starts with tightness in my outer hip.  Then I get a constricting feeling in my quad just above the knee. The affected area is the quad.  The loss of control is when I am landing, I can push off fine.  The fact that I do not have a problem below the knee makes me think that it is not the sciatic nerve.  Maybe a different nerve or some muscle fatigue or both.  I have increased intensity a little lately but nothing that could remotely be described as over doing it. 

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

So my numb leg has returned.  Sunday during my long run I had to cut it a little short.  Since I have been massaging the hell out of my glute and quad on my right side.  Today I did better on my tempo run than I thought that I would.  Just a few minutes before I was done it started acting up, but then it settled back down and I finished OK.

It's weird.  The numbness, or loss of control, is all above the knee.  It starts with tightness in my outer hip.  Then I get a constricting feeling in my quad just above the knee. The affected area is the quad.  The loss of control is when I am landing, I can push off fine.  The fact that I do not have a problem below the knee makes me think that it is not the sciatic nerve.  Maybe a different nerve or some muscle fatigue or both.  I have increased intensity a little lately but nothing that could remotely be described as over doing it. 

That would piss me off.

No, it' not muscle fatigue, that HAS to be nerve related.  Not that I know what to do about it.  Except drink heavily to loosen it up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Damn Tater. Sorry to hear this. I have no friggin clue but then again what else is new. Either high voltage or copious amounts of alcohol would do the trick. That's all I got.

And I hope you figure it out.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Either high voltage or copious amounts of alcohol would do the trick. 

We could hook him up to my Sole.....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

That would piss me off.

No, it' not muscle fatigue, that HAS to be nerve related.  Not that I know what to do about it.  Except drink heavily to loosen it up.

I'm leaning toward nerve too, although somewhere I think that a muscle is going into spasm and pinching it or something.  It definitely does not feel like it is a circulatory issue.  There is no swelling and there is no tingling when feeling comes back (which does not take very long when I stop running).  It's definitely quad that goes because I can really tell when I run downhill.  I almost feel like my leg will give out if I am not careful.  Pushing off is OK, going uphill OK.  Below the knee, no problem.

I'm going to keep after it with massage.  And yes, it is pissing me off.

Not at it at all.