3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

DB won't stop until we are all corrupted...

AMEN!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

...and Rocken is pretty corrupted herself.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

...and Rocken is pretty corrupted herself.

That I am Sarah! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kalsarikännit

I am really considering giving up the thought of racing.  I am almost 49 and the time I have left to chase lifetime PR's is getting shorter.  I might just go back to running 20 - 30 miles a week just to stay healthy.  There are a lot of trails around here and I can hit them on weekends.  I am just really tired of fighting this thing.  It's a shame, because my kids are pretty much out of the house and I now have the time to run a decent amount of mileage.

Mr. Finn, your post made my pretty sad.  I was just looking at some old race threads and it was so funny watching you and L-Train go back and forth with your shit talking.  Your running seemed to be going so well.  It was funny at first when you were my buddy in broken asses.  It isn't so funny anymore.  I really hope things get better.  I just have to say, don't give up.  After 13 months of being broken, something silly that I found out about on the internet ended up making me able to run again.  Try everything.  Good luck.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Mr. Finn, your post made my pretty sad.  I was just looking at some old race threads and it was so funny watching you and L-Train go back and forth with your shit talking.  Your running seemed to be going so well.  It was funny at first when you were my buddy in broken asses.  It isn't so funny anymore.  I really hope things get better.  I just have to say, don't give up.  After 13 months of being broken, something silly that I found out about on the internet ended up making me able to run again.  Try everything.  Good luck.

+1!

Also glad to hear you are running again Jen!!

Prince of Fatness

I appreciate the thoughts, thanks. But don't be sad.  I'll be OK.  If I can't train for road racing I'll figure out something.  I have found that I like trail running, and that does not seem to bother me as much, so I can do that.

Funny, I went out today for a run, first time since Sunday,  Really was no problem, but the right hip did not feel right.  Cut it short at a mile or so.  10 stupid minutes running and in the middle of it I realized that I have lost the urge.  This would have not happened even two short weeks ago.  Wow.

My wife works in a nursing facility and spoke to people.  One says that I should go see a neurologist.  After two years of no luck to say that I am skeptical would be an understatement.  Maybe,

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Also glad to hear you are running again Jen!!

Thanks, Pam.  It is a slow road back and I'm trying not to rush anything, but it is nice.  I am pretty happy.  Once I can put down your kind of miles (if ever), I will be really, really, really happy.   Keep on throwing down all those miles.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks, Pam.  It is a slow road back and I'm trying not to rush anything, but it is nice.  I am pretty happy.  Once I can put down your kind of miles (if ever), I will be really, really, really happy.   Keep on throwing down all those miles.

Good to hear.  I have to spend ~2 weeks in downtown Chicago (and a few in Evansville) between now and June I'll have to catch up with you and pfetro on the trail...or in the bar...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Good to hear.  I have to spend ~2 weeks in downtown Chicago (and a few in Evansville) between now and June I'll have to catch up with you and pfetro on the trail...or in the bar...

Let me know when you're in Chicago. I may just have to "schedule" an audit at our warehouse near the city.

Kalsarikännit

Let me know when you're in Chicago. I may just have to "schedule" an audit at our warehouse near the city.

I didn't realize you were close.  Have you hit the Roundhouse since Two Brothers moved in?

Feeling the growl again

Roughly March 31-April 4 and June 1-5.  Also in Evanston (Northwestern) for a class April 24-27.

I work like a dog when I'm on the road, but the evenings right when I get in town -- March 31st and June 1st -- I should have free.

I'm at the Sheraton just north of Wacker Dr for the first trip...don't know for June yet, that's centrally booked and I don't have direct choice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I didn't realize you were close.  Have you hit the Roundhouse since Two Brothers moved in?

Unfortunately no.  My work is just a few miles down the river from there.  I do like Two Brothers a lot though.  A co-worker of mine lives just a couple blocks from their brewery.  Other than that, the Costco near me always carries their mixed cases and there's a BWW right by there that has Domaine Dupage on tap.

Roughly March 31-April 4 and June 1-5.  Also in Evanston (Northwestern) for a class April 24-27.

I work like a dog when I'm on the road, but the evenings right when I get in town -- March 31st and June 1st -- I should have free.

I'm at the Sheraton just north of Wacker Dr for the first trip...don't know for June yet, that's centrally booked and I don't have direct choice.

We'll still be in Florida on March 31 on Spring Break.  We'll be leaving that day to drive back.  We'll have to see about June 1 though.

Prince of Fatness

Well now did I ever need that.  Just got back from an hour on the trails.  I really enjoy trail running.  My leg seems to have less problems on trails, too.  If my destiny to be a slow trail runner I can live with that.  I am about a half hour from the Appalachian Trail and have not been there in years.  I need to fix that.  Out on the trails today I realized that if road racing is not in the cards, I can still be healthy and happy.  I'll work it out.  Anyway, I've been a miserable fuck in here the last few days, sorry about that, but thanks for listening.

I would like to ask for some suggestions.  This nerve thing, I am thinking that I should follow up just to eliminate anything real serious (tumor, etc.).  I really think that it is chronic tightness, muscle imbalance, misalignment, whatever, but you never know.  I have been to chiros, sports docs, etc.  None have really gotten to the root cause.  My wife works in a nursing facility and someone there suggested that I go see a neurologist.  I'd like to get this looked at but am not sure what sort of doctor would be best.  Suggestions?

Not at it at all. 

Out on the trails today I realized that if road racing is not in the cards, I can still be healthy and happy.

And you thought life was full of roller coasters.  Bring running into the picture and it seems that those peaks and valleys happen so much more and with greater depth.  I too find a lot of joy in running on trails.  Just wish we had some "real" trails in the area like what you have 30 minutes away.  Sounds like the last couple of times you have gone out there, it has really rejuvinated you.

Sorry to say that what you are asking for with a suggestion is beyond my expertise.  I hope someone can give you a decent suggestion that will help you figure out what's been going on.