3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

5k pain (Read 1006 times)

Just wanna ask opinions on what type of training should I do to help not only finding the pain of racing but to build from it. My problem is I'll go out and wait until it's almost over before putting the gas on. Don't ask me why I fear the pain but I must because I enjoyed the hell out of my last 5k and I know THAT is NOT how you are supposed to feel. Loved passing people left and right as they were dying while I was feeling very much alive and pain free. I'm thinking 400, 800's 1 mile intervals maybe some pyramid workouts will help. I have no problem with running comfortably hard just need to break through that mental barrier)  Anyway if anyone has advice feel  or just tell me I'm a dumbass and will always be a mediocre runner

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

obsessor

Just wanna ask opinions on what type of training should I do to help not only finding the pain of racing but to build from it. My problem is I'll go out and wait until it's almost over before putting the gas on. Don't ask me why I fear the pain but I must because I enjoyed the hell out of my last 5k and I know THAT is NOT how you are supposed to feel. Loved passing people left and right as they were dying while I was feeling very much alive and pain free. I'm thinking 400, 800's 1 mile intervals maybe some pyramid workouts will help. I have no problem with running comfortably hard just need to break through that mental barrier)  Anyway if anyone has advice feel  or just tell me I'm a dumbass and will always be a mediocre runner

Good thing about the 5k is that you can bomb them all the time and not really have to worry about it. Best way is to latch on to an experienced faster runner to see how it is done. First 1k should float but feel fast, if you are well warmed up, including some strides. You could do 3-5 miles of warmup... I think 3 is best, with maybe 800m worth of faster running, moving to some strides just about 10 seconds/mi faster than goal race pace. My advice (for you, not everyone) would be to go out hard and hang on. Don't be afraid to bomb it. It's only a 5k, right?

1 mile intervals are a bit long for 5k training. Even 800's might be long, depending on the person.

Last mile should be hell. Second mile... distinctly uncomfortable, difficult to hold on to the pace.

Good thing about the 5k is that you can bomb them all the time and not really have to worry about it. Best way is to latch on to an experienced faster runner to see how it is done. First 1k should float but feel fast, if you are well warmed up, including some strides. You could do 3-5 miles of warmup... I think 3 is best, with maybe 800m worth of faster running, moving to some strides just about 10 seconds/mi faster than goal race pace. My advice (for you, not everyone) would be to go out hard and hang on. Don't be afraid to bomb it. It's only a 5k, right?

1 mile intervals are a bit long for 5k training. Even 800's might be long, depending on the person.

Last mile should be hell. Second mile... distinctly uncomfortable, difficult to hold on to the pace.

Thanks Obsessor!  I've actually been thinking of "latching" on to faster runner on the next one. I also think I need a longer warmup.

So doing slighter faster than 5k pace mile intervals might be too long.  I'm like a steam engine during my 5k's lol I just keep getting stronger and stronger until I'm through the shoot.  Mile splits for last 5k was 7:49, 7:26, 6:56 to sub 5:20 for the last .11. Not once did I ever feel the crap this hurts feeling. In fact I was pretty much smiling the last mile or so cause I was passing so many people and they were sounding like they were dying and I was feeling high as a kite  (not like I imagine I should really be feeling at the end of a 5k)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

My advice (for you, not everyone) would be to go out hard and hang on. Don't be afraid to bomb it. It's only a 5k, right?

That's what I try to do. 5ks hurt. My biggest problem is that I run at a pace that ends up leaving a big gap with few people. Too slow to keep up with one group and a bit faster than the next level. Sort of no-man's land. That really sucks when you can't share the pain or have someone to work off.

Running one this weekend so we will see. I like the shorter intervals. I did lots of 1x and they were great for HM but I don't think so great for shorter races. BTW - Spaniel gave me a big "I told you so" on that.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave

I do not think of 5K's as "comfortably hard".

I think of them as uncomfortable from the start leading to pure torture by the end of the 2nd mile. 

Although I am not as accomplished as Obsessor, I disagree with the applicability of the longer intervals.  800's and 1 mile repeats are pretty valuable to get the feel of how those extended faster paces should feel. 

I also like progression runs on the treadmill for this.  Warm up and then keep increasing pace every 1/4 mile until you absolutely can't hold on. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I do not think of 5K's as "comfortably hard".

I think of them as uncomfortable from the start leading to pure torture by the end of the 2nd mile. 

Although I am not as accomplished as Obsessor, I disagree with the applicability of the longer intervals.  800's and 1 mile repeats are pretty valuable to get the feel of how those extended faster paces should feel. 

I also like progression runs on the treadmill for this.  Warm up and then keep increasing pace every 1/4 mile until you absolutely can't hold on. 

see I KNOW 5k's are supposed to uncomfortable from the start. That's the problem I have. I don't know if it's cause I started running so late in life and I've spent so many years on endurance and not speed. This is something I'm going to have to remedy if I'm going to achieve the goals I have set for myself (which is why I finally set some so that will have to hold myself to them)

See I thought doing mile intervals at slightly faster than what I think my 5k race pace is might help my body(or my mind which seems to be in charge when I race) realize that is how I'm supposed to feel .

I second the long warm-up recommendation. You'll likely do better in the race and will decrease your changes of getting hurt (especially in with the lower temps).

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

MrH

Masters superstar Alisa Harvey, for one, recommends mile intervals ... 3x1 mile with five minutes recovery for the first session. Run the intervals at your 5k pace plus ten seconds per mile, i.e. if your mile split was 7:15, then run the intervals at 7:25.

Over time add another interval and reduce the recovery but never to less than a minute.

The first mile in a 5k should feel fast but not too uncomfortable. If it does I doubt if you will maintain form in the last portion of the race. The point is to run even splits.

But don't forget form drills and other speed work - Alisa focuses on mile intervals to get most value ... but she has 2:06 800m speed.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

I was just thinking about this during tonight's interval session.

I always noticed that no matter how hard I ran the first 5K of the season, even when I was dying in the last 400, within 5 minutes of finishing I would be pissed and think I could go out and run the same race all over again.  I would feel pain, but my body was just not in shape to hurt itself yet.  You have to a) get mentally prepared to own and feed off the pain, and b) get your body ready to actually handle a high pain load.

Typically, my legs will burn and feel crapped out first on these hard but not hard enough efforts.  It takes intervals and regular borderline anaerobic work to condition your body to really push it in a 5K.

By the third or fourth 5K of the season, guaranteed when I finished not only was I 15-20sec faster, but there was no way in hell I was toeing the line again any time soon!

I would use sequences of 400s and 800s....say 10-16X400 with 60-90sec recovery (a little less recovery than interval time) and 6-8X800 with 90-120sec recovery.  Repeats should be a little faster than 5K pace and a tad faster than that, almost 3K pace, for the 400s.

In terms of really getting to that painful spot and learning to tolerate/deal with it, a great workout is 3-4X(400-800-400) with 400-type (60-90sec) between repeats and 3-5min between sets.  You run the first 400 solid, then the 800 solid, but then you are REQUIRED to bust the last 400 of the set at least 1-2sec faster than the first of the set.  Then the next set, each repeat must be at least 1sec faster than that repeat of the previous set.  The purpose of this is that you WILL HURT at the end of each set, but then have a longer recovery until the next set, but then hurt even worse by the end of that next set.

When I'm in shape to run a good 5K, I can hurt myself in an interval workout, shaking legs at the end and everything.  Tonight, first interval workout of the season, and hell, half a mile jog after and I felt fine.  And it's not that I wasn't working during the actual workout.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hawt and sexy

I don't know. See, when I hit that pain mark now, it's different than when I was younger. It's almost like the pain is muted because I now have a bigger base than I ever had in the old interval training days of the late 80's and early 90's. It hurt more then. My breathing was harder. Now, with a huge base, getting to the point where I am breathing hard takes some doing. Oh, the pain is there in my legs, but that burning in the chest is almost nonexistent.

It is maybe something related to her huge base and almost no sharpening? She is an ultra runner and her definition of pain is much different than a 5k person. She might not be able to attain what a former HS/college runner knows is the right threshold without a bunch of work simply because the speed she needs to hit is much faster than she thinks it is. Crap, did that make sense?

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

It is maybe something related to her huge base and almost no sharpening? She is an ultra runner and her definition of pain is much different than a 5k person. She might not be able to attain what a former HS/college runner knows is the right threshold without a bunch of work simply because the speed she needs to hit is much faster than she thinks it is. Crap, did that make sense?

I don't think it's that she can't take the pain, I think it's that one of the components necessary to run hard enough to really hurt in a 5K is not up to snuff due to the lack of sharpening....the "weakest link" is too weak.  With sharpening it won't just be one link hurting but many....a true hard effort.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I don't think it's that she can't take the pain, I think it's that one of the components necessary to run hard enough to really hurt in a 5K is not up to snuff due to the lack of sharpening....the "weakest link" is too weak.  With sharpening it won't just be one link hurting but many....a true hard effort.

I think you've nailed it Spaniel. I need the sharpening! I've got 2 more races  in this series and who knows by the last one maybe I'll have sharpened myself up enough to actually race it!

Thanks for the feed back and the workout ideas!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm with dbg2n -- I am fantasizing about quitting by halfway, generally (i.e., in the the second mile, well before the third).

But DW says that doesn't happen to her until the third mile (wanting to quit)

I've had her do the workout MrH mentioned above (I read an article by Alissa mentioning it), and she found it tough, but she got through it. I haven't tried it myself exactly -- I've done 3x1mi at goal pace, but not for quite a while, and with more rest. I've done some pyramids that I think hit near the same threshold of pain for me, but generally only bring myself to try that with company.

(Caveat: I am just another newbie -- I don't have anything like the experience or understanding that spaniel seems to have.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ostrich runner

5ks are an enigma to me. I hate them, but it was probably the race I was best at.  I hated them when I was decent at them and now that I'm not I really hate them.  Passionately hate them.  I guess I'm going to have to do a couple.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Again thanks for everyone's insight. I'm actually going to start doing some of those workout's Spaniel suggested as well as mile intervals (I'm still training for a 50 miler a marathon right after that and maybe a half marathon before the 50 miler. Sharpening starts NOW! This is the aspect I've never done. I went from non running to running to just working on endurance and building base and running lots. Guess I skipped around a lot in Daniels lol