3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April 2014 Race Thread (Read 43 times)

C-R sniffed it out already, but yep, 3:09:47. It was kind of ugly out there today for a lot of people so I'm extremely happy to have gotten it done.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh yeah, 24hr run for cancer. Main goal is to run with a couple friends, but it would certainly be cool to run 100mi Smile  Have never done more than 50, so really don't know what to expect.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

2:53:42 for me.

Nothing new under the sun...was clicking along nicely, until I wasn't. Great experience though.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

3:23:02

Congrats again, Greg. You nailed that on a day when so many people struggled.

Feeling the growl again

36:14 for a new 5-mile PR. First PR in a while...

Outstanding!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

C-R sniffed it out already, but yep, 3:09:47. It was kind of ugly out there today for a lot of people so I'm extremely happy to have gotten it done.

Glad to hear it, Greg.   Also the Schneiders don't peek in here so much but I was very impressed with both of their efforts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

pcaharrier

Oh yeah, 24hr run for cancer. Main goal is to run with a couple friends, but it would certainly be cool to run 100mi Smile  Have never done more than 50, so really don't know what to expect.

The one in Hampton?  I don't imagine that there could be more than one 24 Hour Run for Cancer in the month of April, right?  Anyway, I'll be taking a shot at that one (I've never gone more than 50k).

2:45:27

Back was 99% better by race day. This race is such a logistic challenge for runners. With getting up early and standing in lines for gear check, bus transfer, waiting to get released for the 1 mile walk to the start, the port-o-potty lines and being sandwiched in at the corral, it's an adventure just to start running. Started to have a rough go early on.  Kept it on the conservative side early on. It was tough resisting the temptation of going with the crowd at the start. It was definitely strange being passed by that many people. Fortunately over the miles, many of them came back.

The sun was intense and it got warm out there. I did what I could at each of the water stations to make sure I was hydrating. had more gu's than I ever have in a marathon and took salt tablets every 45 minutes (except towards the end). The hills were a welcome change of pace.  Ran those well where a lot of people seemed to struggle with them. The part that got me the most were the downhills.

It was another great experience and the crowds were fantastic. They were literally lining the course the entire way. Yes, the ENTIRE way. It was awesome and brought so much energy to the experience.

The he hardest part of the whole thing was when the race was over. All I wanted was a bottle of water and it seemed like I had to walk 3 blocks to get one. The gear check was another half mile away.  I did not do too well later on. I was queasy and did not feel good. Once I sat down, there was no getting up for a long time.

Another added bonus was getting to meet many other RA'ers (including the mastermind behind this site - Eric).

Feeling the growl again

It was another great experience and the crowds were fantastic. They were literally lining the course the entire way. Yes, the ENTIRE way. It was awesome and brought so much energy to the experience.

I'm glad to hear they didn't ruin the race experience gating everyone back, it sounded from the articles like they might.  In 2004 when it was nuclear high 80s, along most of the course people were stringing hoses from their house, carting out buckets of water to the curb, anything they could do to help.  Until the last 3 miles when they were gated back, which was 3 miles of hell.

I was scared they'd ruin this part of it.

I'm glad to hear they didn't ruin the race experience gating everyone back, it sounded from the articles like they might.  In 2004 when it was nuclear high 80s, along most of the course people were stringing hoses from their house, carting out buckets of water to the curb, anything they could do to help.  Until the last 3 miles when they were gated back, which was 3 miles of hell.

I was scared they'd ruin this part of it.

In some areas from BC to just past Fenway, it seems like they kept the crowd further back. It was pretty wide from side-to-side but the crowds were still there. Wellesley still won for being the loudest.  Turning onto Hereford and then Boylston was just as incredible as you would imagine it to be.

Feeling the growl again

In some areas from BC to just past Fenway, it seems like they kept the crowd further back. It was pretty wide from side-to-side but the crowds were still there. Wellesley still won for being the loudest.  Turning onto Hereford and then Boylston was just as incredible as you would imagine it to be.

From BC on was always gated well back from the best running line.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Awesome running by everyone in Boston this week. That was a really fun race to watch. I live really close to work, so I normally go home for lunch at noon. I didn't get home for lunch until about 2 on Monday. My wife didn't really understand why it was important for me to see everyone finish 

Another DINO Trail race this weekend. Town Run Trail Park on the north side of Indy.

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
                          4/26 WhoDatRunner DINO Trail Series Indianapolis, IN 5K <28:00  

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Posted in the Swamp but forgot to put it here:

Twilight 5K

Athens, GA

Goal: sub-20

Ran 19:59, 2 AG and my first sub-20 5K. I almost bailed after the first mile, but decided if my hamstrings didn't get any worse I'd stay with it and see what happened. Kind of looking forward to seeing what I can do once I'm fully recovered from Boston.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Another DINO Trail race this weekend. Town Run Trail Park on the north side of Indy.

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
                              4/26 WhoDatRunner DINO Trail Series Indianapolis, IN 5K <28:00  

I almost turned over and went back to sleep this morning. I did not feel like racing. Drug myself out of bed and drove out there. The weather was great, but still wasn't too excited about running. Once the race got underway I started to enjoy it. It's a nice course and the weather was perfect. I maybe didn't run as hard as I could have, but I had a good time so I'm happy with the result.

Garmin says 28:30.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Posted in the Swamp but forgot to put it here:

Twilight 5K

Athens, GA

Goal: sub-20

Ran 19:59, 2 AG and my first sub-20 5K. I almost bailed after the first mile, but decided if my hamstrings didn't get any worse I'd stay with it and see what happened. Kind of looking forward to seeing what I can do once I'm fully recovered from Boston.

Nice run less than a week after a marathon!