3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April Racing Thread (Read 1407 times)

A fail for me - but a great day anyway.  x-posted from half marathon trainers

Waitarere Half Marathon

This has to be the best organised race I've been to bar none.  They had everything covered.  Its an off-road run around flat forest tracks.  There were big clear accurate km markers, plenty of water - in paper cups, lots of toilet facilities at the start so no queueing, lots of helpers at registration.  Huge field to park in, friendly volunteers directing you there.  Chip timing, powerade and a nice medal at the finish.  They've asked for feedback and I cannot think of a single thing they could improve.

The race itself - I probably went out a bit fast.  I was running the sort of time I should have been doing on a road course - but the slightly softer ground and occasional gravelly or sandy bits just slowed me a bit.  So by half way I could really feel it, and the last few kms were a struggle.  Still I kept pushing on and was pleased with my result.  1.33.52, 8th lady, 1st in my age group.

I couldn't stay for prizegiving as I'd promised to go back my running club and lead out our slowest / shortest pack run (40mins at about 6.40 per km). 

You're consistently in the low 1:30s. That's something to be very pleased about.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Dickey - I know this doesn't really help.... but I just wish I could run a mile at your "Fail" 5k pace.  Way to go for it though.

MrPHIN - Congratulations! Sounds like the start of a comeback!

Mandy - Congratulations on the AG win even though not as fast as you wanted.

Smalcolm - Congratulations - nice job on the sub 3:29!

FAIL.  1:02.  Pretty happy with bike split though.  Fastest avg ever - 22.3 mph, which was NOT good enough for top 5, but was 14th of 191.  There were about 3 times the number of people this year, and they were all fast and in my age group.  Ok maybe not ALL of them, but a lot of them.

Also had my fastest triathlon 5k - 23:27, which was surprising because I felt a little like I was gonna throw up on the bike, and thought about backing off, but didn't.  

So I lost it in the swim and transitions.  5th of 21 in my AG.

First tri of the season, so there's still time.

April 3 - Alpha Delta Pi-athlon  (Sprint triathlon 300m swim/10 mi bike/ 5k run) - last year was 1:05 

Goal - Sub 1:00, top 5 bike split

Dickey - I know this doesn't really help.... but I just wish I could run a mile at your "Fail" 5k pace.  Way to go for it though.

MrPHIN - Congratulations! Sounds like the start of a comeback!

Mandy - Congratulations on the AG win even though not as fast as you wanted.

Forgot to say congrats to you guys too Smile

April 16 - Asbury Park Half Marathon 

Goal: TBD 

May have to bag this one. Today was the first time in weeks that I did some semblance of a workout.  I dunno, the timing for it is great for a number of personal reasons.  Due poor planning(tedious story), I'm also registered for the Long Branch Half Marathon on 5/1. 

I have thought about doing both, but doesn't seem smart.

They're 2 weeks apart...

They're 2 weeks apart...

crap I ran 13.1 miles 2 weeks before my first half marathon. I say do the first as a training run for the Long Branch half

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I say race them both if you're healthy enough. They're half marathons.

That would be cool! I just might. Thing is, look at my log.  Haven't done a workout in like 8 weeks. And my lower right leg is still causing me to run funny.  Oh well, I still have two weeks to get better, right?

sub 1:30? mmm, I dunno.

Nader, most of my PR's are set 2-3 weeks after running a 10 miler-HM, including the HM PR (get a 3-4 min improvement between the 2 races). There is some magic to racing a HM distance.  As Mikey said a HM race is the best Marathon sharpening workout and I believe also works for anything between a 5K-26.2.  It takes about a week for me to recover from a HM race, but maybe I am not running it hard enough, for others it may take 2 weeks especially if run hard, but that should still be enough time for going all out again.

Thanks, HF.  I know you're into halfs, so your insight is quite welcomed.

I may, then, go for it, assuming I'm fairly certain, on that day, that I won't do something awful to my right leg.

That would be cool! I just might. Thing is, look at my log.  Haven't done a workout in like 8 weeks. And my lower right leg is still causing me to run funny.  Oh well, I still have two weeks to get better, right?

sub 1:30? mmm, I dunno.

I said if you're healthy. Doesn't sound like you're healthy yet Sad

sub 1:30 might be tough since you've had to miss so much training. But you might as well try, because i'm racing a half on May 15th...so you can beat me to it Wink

Yeah, hurumph. We'll see.

Candice, if I run a  1:29: x x, you can absapositively nail it in very short order.

Well if that half I ran in January hadn't been short...argh

Just bumps along your road to sub-3.