3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Holiday mileage Shenanigans? (Read 38 times)

Do we have a 2016 edition?  I am just starting to run again, and as usual have big plans for next year.  I hope to run 150 miles between now and New year.  Going from practically 0 to 150 will be challenging.  Any other holiday resolutions?

Also since my plans include a hilly marathon (Grandfather Mountain, not Monkey) in July and live in a flat area, Will a treadmill be an acceptable substitute? Want to practice running up long grinding 7-9% and 1-2 mile hills.

Feeling the growl again

I'll never match 2011, but I did plan on really trying to ramp up in December as I have a bunch of vacation to burn.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Any other holiday resolutions?

Really only one.  Maintain my consistency.  I've settled into a 5 day a week running routine and it's been quite a few months since I have not achieved that.  For me, December and January will be about staying motivated and getting out there.  I run after work during the week, and there will be days where it is dark, windy, and cold, and I just won't feel like going out.  Like spaniel I have days to burn in December so that will allow for more morning runs with more options as to where I run.

Not at it at all. 

I am finding that a quick 15-20 min run in the morning actually helps with a run/other workouts later that day.  While the legs feel a bit heavy all through the day, that disappears 5 minutes into the run.  Maybe a good way to add some mileage without too much stress while coming back from an extended layoff.  This might add a bit of laundry, but not a concern during winter I will wear the same clothes for both workouts.

Village people

It has been a few years since I have done this but I am doing a rowing challenge this year between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Concept 2 donates money to your chosen charity for each meter rowed after you hit 100 000m. If you hit 200k they double it and send you a nifty little pin. The community usually raises about $20k. I am rowing for The Global a fund for Women, there are other options. Like Happyfeet, I will be doing a lot of doubles.

DoppleBock

Sure - I am willing to make a December resolution that I will likely fail at

* Get miles every day (2 or more)

* have them total  > 150 miles

*  Vertical > 12,000 feet

*  Be really drunk on New Years Eve

I have small plans for 2017

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

How do you plan on practicing the down hill part ... or is it just an uphill marathon?

Do we have a 2016 edition?  I am just starting to run again, and as usual have big plans for next year.  I hope to run 150 miles between now and New year.  Going from practically 0 to 150 will be challenging.  Any other holiday resolutions?

Also since my plans include a hilly marathon (Grandfather Mountain, not Monkey) in July and live in a flat area, Will a treadmill be an acceptable substitute? Want to practice running up long grinding 7-9% and 1-2 mile hills.

Feeling the growl again

Other than the couple days after Thanksgiving (family obligations) I've been doing decent.  Have a good next three days planned.

I went to Germany a few weeks ago and my sleep has been messed up ever since.  This is now my major confounding factor.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Village people

I am over 100 000m and well on my way to 200 000m.

C-R

I'm running again tomorrow which is the first time in months that I've run back to back without achilles pain. That's my stunt this year.

Damn I miss being healthy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

As we drove through Indianapolis on the way to Monkey - I had good memories of the year I did Carmel Marathon and Spaniel, You and I celebrated life.

I'm running again tomorrow which is the first time in months that I've run back to back without achilles pain. That's my stunt this year.

Damn I miss being healthy.

DoppleBock

I think in terms of Mondays - Sundays ... So here is my short week (Th-Su) recap to my goal

Miles 26.5 = 17.6% to 150 mile goal

4,169 vertical = 34.7% to 12,000 foot goal ... Apparently 12,000 is a wussy goal ... lets make it 15,000 = 27.8% to my goal

Best run was the 2.5 miles when I felt like a lazy piece of shit

Feeling the growl again

As we drove through Indianapolis on the way to Monkey - I had good memories of the year I did Carmel Marathon and Spaniel, You and I celebrated life.

Dude, you should have messaged me and stopped.  That was a great weekend and I would have loved to revisit the company.

Me, I've fallen a bit off the wagon.  But I was traveling and this is my last full week of work for the year.  I expect December to be my highest mileage in 2 years by the time I am done, despite a slow start.

C-R

Dude, you should have messaged me and stopped.  That was a great weekend and I would have loved to revisit the company.

Me, I've fallen a bit off the wagon.  But I was traveling and this is my last full week of work for the year.  I expect December to be my highest mileage in 2 years by the time I am done, despite a slow start.

Crap. I was around too. Could have crashed here again.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

We had a car full - I had my Wife and another Couple from the Fox Cities along.

I do believe that there was talk at some time about you 2 gentlemen coming my direction for a race ... Maybe Green Bay Marathon?

No one can be as fat, out of shape and stupid as me -280 lbs and using a 3 minute @ 5.6 MPH run / 2 minute @ 3.6 mph walk to do my workouts.  You smart people can do the math how long the 11 miles took me last night, but it is all about calorie burning for now.

Now the stupid part - I plan on signing up for Ice Age 50 Mile in May - Maybe you can come up and run the race.  Good party afterward from what I remember.  Sign up is December 18th - It fills up within a few hours.  I figure if I lose 10# a month ... I will still be fat come race day, but can get in good enough shape to finish in a reasonable amount of time.

http://www.iceagetrail50.com/sample-page-2/

I will have to get faster one way or another by May to finish within the time limit and much faster to have sufficient time and energy to enjoy beer.