3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sub 2 (Read 28 times)

kcam

C-R

I've been reading about this a bit today and there are people praising and others decrying how it was done.

For me I don't care if there was a rotation of pacers and a v formation or any of the other stuff.  The dude ran 26.2 miles. 26 seconds less and he would have broken 2. Wow. Simply wow. I am so impressed. I guess sub 2 is really a possibility Mind blowing.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Honest question: how much manipulation of the achievement would be acceptable?  100% Tail-wind?  Negative gradation?  100 rabbits?  90% gravity?  Personal air conditioned environment?

Make it a standard race.  Sure, there's environmental luck.  Good LUCK!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

C-R

Honest question: how much manipulation of the achievement would be acceptable?  100% Tail-wind?  Negative gradation?  100 rabbits?  90% gravity?  Personal air conditioned environment?

Make it a standard race.  Sure, there's environmental luck.  Good LUCK!

Honest answer for me. I think the point of Nike's push was to prove someone can go sub 2. Basically for me it's an experiment and huge marketing push. I don't see this attempt as a WR as those should be reserved for races with some standard boundaries (grade, wind, drugs, etc.). Berlin and London do allow pacers if I recall correctly and that's where the current WR was set.

Isn't the current WR 2:02 and change? 3 minutes is a lot to shave off in race conditions. May not happen in my lifetime based on the previous trajectory but to see a person go sub 2 in optimal settings would be pretty cool.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I was just discussing this with CR today.  The other two guys were no slouches, yet they failed miserably.  I don't think he was nearly as aided as some may think.

I think this was worth 2:01 and change on a legit course (Berlin) with several guys all going for it.  Dude is the real deal.  This is what happens when you take racing for a 1st place prize purse out of the equation and put everything on time.

I don't really care how much aid he had, as long as this wasn't an anything-goes-let=s-EPO-him thing.  Yes, they stacked the physical considerations in his favor, simply to try and show what is physically possible.  Now we know 2:00:25 is possible under these conditions, which is likely to cause a few of these pros to thing 2:01 is now a legit goal when they wouldn't have even attempted it before.  This is the kind of thing that breaks mental barriers, and this is certainly a mental sport.

But I still hate Nike.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I agree not legit ... But that it was a "You must believe before it can be possible" Jedi mind trick.

If Nike really wants runners to "go for it" in a legit race.  They should pick 2 races a year that can be certified as records and offer $25MM for the 1st runner to make the sub 2 hour possible.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I was just discussing this with CR today.  The other two guys were no slouches, yet they failed miserably.  I don't think he was nearly as aided as some may think.

I think this was worth 2:01 and change on a legit course (Berlin) with several guys all going for it.  Dude is the real deal.  This is what happens when you take racing for a 1st place prize purse out of the equation and put everything on time.

I don't really care how much aid he had, as long as this wasn't an anything-goes-let=s-EPO-him thing.  Yes, they stacked the physical considerations in his favor, simply to try and show what is physically possible.  Now we know 2:00:25 is possible under these conditions, which is likely to cause a few of these pros to thing 2:01 is now a legit goal when they wouldn't have even attempted it before.  This is the kind of thing that breaks mental barriers, and this is certainly a mental sport.

But I still hate Nike.

Damn....did I call that one pretty well or what??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yes you did, but I still hate Nike too!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka