3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I Am Curmudgeon -- Get Off My Lawn (Read 48 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm not qualified to offer you running advice but I'll say this ... Do what you need to do in order to punch your ticket so the real racing can happen next spring.

Good luck!

You sound perfectly qualified.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Nope not alone at all. Outside of an Ironman, I have never signed up for an event that far in advance nor would I anymore.

I have not done a major race and really have no intentions to do so. The Twin Cities Marathon was the largest event I've done.

I like keeping the logistics simple. I like easy access to the beer tapper and I like knowing my car is only a few blocks away so the smaller venues suit me just fine.

This!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

After a half an hour in Active.com hell, I'm now running a marathon on Sunday.  Taper time, I guess...

Oh shit. Good racing this weekend.

Was that 5 day taper in Hanson's or Pfitz? Wink

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

I've got family in Elroy and have biked the rail trails around there. It's going to be good for steady pacing but I always find the tunnels to be weird since they play with my sense of equilibrium. It gets dark quick and you can't see anything but the ends of the tunnel. There is a reason they tell you to walk your bikes through them. Hopefully it's easier to run through them. I don't want to give you reason to waste time but, if convenient, you might practice running through one before the race. Perhaps a throw away flashlight would be helpful too. Good luck!

Since I'll be doing the pacing, I'll probably bring a head lamp just to be sure.  I'm sure I'll be carrying plenty of other things.

Good luck Spaniel!  Hope all goes well with the run.  Go run your sub-3 and punch your ticket to Boston!

Slo

I really hate Active.com

If you're not paying atention you can easily end up with a magazine subscription, race insurance and a 6 month auto renewal membership to Active.com.

My preferred means of registration still remains race day entry. Provides a better opportunity to flirt with the cutie behind the table.

After a half an hour in Active.com hell, I'm now running a marathon on Sunday.  Taper time, I guess...

I hope your long-range planning pays off.

I get your point, too.  It's frustrating to have to register so far in advance of the actual race, with no idea what kind of fitness -- if any -- you'll have.  Maddening to watch the entry fee rise the longer you wait, but worse yet to see registration close when the field fills.  I kept almost registering for Richmond but always hesitated.  Good thing, as it turns out there's no way I'd be in any kind of marathon shape for it.  But still ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I really hate Active.com

If you're not paying attention you can easily end up with a magazine subscription, race insurance and a 6 month auto renewal membership to Active.com.

Tell me about it!  Although the set of drinking glasses I ended up with are kinda nice.

My preferred means of registration still remains race day entry. Provides a better opportunity to flirt with the cuties behind the table.

FTFY.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

My preferred means of registration still remains race day entry. Provides a better opportunity to flirt with the cutie behind the table.

My son and I are volunteering at our local 5K Sunday. Good thing we are going to be course marshals.

Slo

My son and I are volunteering at our local 5K Sunday. Good thing we are going to be course marshals.

Yes...good thing. I do tend to be selective however.

C-R

Jeez. Around here its only old dudes at the registration table. I need to race in other places.

Feeling the growl again

Yes...good thing. I do tend to be selective however.

Beer goggles are for AFTER the race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

Beer goggles are for DURING  the race.

Fixed

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I was entertaining a local po-dunk HM tonight.  Small, not very competitive...little town close by....

$75 race day registration.  Run on back country roads that don't even need to be shut down.

Heh.  Suck my curmudgeonness.

Slo

I was entertaining a local po-dunk HM tonight.  Small, not very competitive...little town close by....

$75 race day registration.  Run on back country roads that don't even need to be shut down.

Heh.  Suck my curmudgeonness.

What was the price prior to race day?

It burns my ass when they jack up the price for race day registration. $45 online the night before, $60 race day...wtf?

For a local race that isn't on my "A" list, I'm usually signing up race day. There's a good chance I wil be throwing money out the window like what happened this past Sunday. Signed up online Friday but didn't get to run on Sunday because of work.

kcam

What was the price prior to race day?

It burns my ass when they jack up the price for race day registration. $45 online the night before, $60 race day...wtf?

For a local race that isn't on my "A" list, I'm usually signing up race day. There's a good chance I wil be throwing money out the window like what happened this past Sunday. Signed up online Friday but didn't get to run on Sunday because of work.

That's a pet peeve of mine as well.  Or how about this one (a 10mile race I did last Sunday):

Day of race registration is $50

If you sign up at least a day before the race "on-line" through something called Ultra Signup it's $45.  I thought cool I'll save $5.  Not really.  Go to register and there is a $3.85 processing fee for $48.50.  Thanks but no thanks.  I'd much rather give an extra $5 to the race organizers than $3.85 to UltraSignup.  I just paid the $50 fee day-of.