3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 991 times)

Pam that's no good! It seemed like the accident wasn't too much of a set-back.

SEEMED that's the operative word! One thing about spinal injuries is that they don't always show signs right away. With my first spinal injury, I didn't even know I had one until close to a year after my accident (the hospital only took care of the obvious injury at the time) This time I had some minor aches and pains in the neck and upper back but nothing unmanagable.  Then I started having neurological symptoms. Last Tuesday I woke up and had neck issue's but I attributed that to DD sleeping in bed with me (she's a mover and a kicker) Well I've had this "ache" in the thorasic part of my spine, anyway my chest has been hurting and recently it started feeling like it was harder to breath. Turns out that is probably due to a pinched nerve.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

kcam

3/05/11    NORCAL 10miler  

Goal:  Exact revenge upon this course for last year's pathetic showing (1:04:30)  ---- want 1:02:30

3/20/11    Across The Bay 12K

Goal:  45:59

MTA:  Did I REALLY say 1:02:30?  Shit, there it is in black and white.  I meant to type 1:03:30 but since I said it'll have to stand.  1:02:30 would be a PR at this distance on a much tougher course than my PR race.  6:15 pace, holy crap.  It's a longshot as I don't have the workouts/training to back that up but so be it. 

Modified again - just to see if I now 'follow' this thread (without getting emails).  Sorry bout that, group.

DoppleBock

Good luck March racers - No racing for me - Only training

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ahhh, back to shorter races... 3/6- Irish Road Rover 5K, Portland, ME I'd like to average 5:15 per mile for this one, so 16:15. 3/19- St Patrick's 10K, Holyoke, MA I'm thinking this will be my first sub-34 attempt. I heard this course was a little challenging, so I won't stress if I don't get it. I'll have a secondary goal of a PR which would be < 34:53.>

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Ahhh, back to shorter races... 3/6- Irish Road Rover 5K, Portland, ME I'd like to average 5:15 per mile for this one, so 16:15. 3/19- St Patrick's 10K, Holyoke, MA I'm thinking this will be my first sub-34 attempt. I heard this course was a little challenging, so I won't stress if I don't get it. I'll have a secondary goal of a PR which would be

Good luck on the races...you've been progressing quite well and with what you've put in the last year, you should be set-up well with the base .  I've been wanting to ask about your log...what's the significance of the numbers you post at the end of the notes?

Shoe mileage

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

3/5  Manchester St. Patricks Day 10K - sub 47 would be good since that's close to my PR....I'll just see how I feel.  

Feeling the growl again

Goal 33:00, result 33:37 = FAIL.

Well, the time sucked.  I was aiming for a minute faster.  I spent Tuesday and Wednesday laid out by a virus that caused extreme fatigue, I knew I was still getting over it so I decided I was not going to kill myself with this one when my targeted tune-up race is only a week away.  

I got out well....perhaps too well...5:13-5:04.  I would like to think the 2nd mile marker was off but I probably royally screwed up my pacing.  Then 5:30-5:31-5:34-5:29.  Aerobically I was in great shape, I never felt like I was pushing myself very hard, my legs just lost their strength very quickly as I was afraid might happen.  So from about 2.5 miles on I was just trying to maintain tempo effort through the finish as I knew my goal time was not going to happen without really killing myself.

The silver lining is I ran the first half in 16:19 with a fraction of the effort that it took to hit 16:17 3 weeks ago, and much of the race was on the exact same course.  If I can sleep off the last throes of this virus I should be in good shape for sub-1:12 next weekend.

Oh, and the young guns tried to take me for the first mile.  This time I roasted them early and put 2 minutes on 2nd place from the 1 mile mark to the finish.  Heh.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Nice run despite being knocked out earlier this week with the virus.  Encouraging to hear how the first half felt.  A little more rest and you'll be right there to knock-out the 1:12 next weekend.  Good luck.

Nice race Spaniel.  Being sick is tough.  At least 37 seconds worth of tough, and probably more.

My 10K was similar to yours, except in slow motion.  

Goal sub 47, result 47:12.  And this 10K doubled my mileage for the week.  It's pretty intuitive that running helps you to be a faster runner, but I know there is at least SOME aerobic benefit to cycling and swimming, otherwise I wouldn't be this close to my 10K PR on such few miles.

MTA: I got 4th Overall, 3rd in my AG.  Yes, I live in a small town, and only 3 of the fast guys showed up.

Feeling the growl again

Nice race Spaniel.  Being sick is tough.  At least 37 seconds worth of tough, and probably more.

My 10K was similar to yours, except in slow motion.  

Goal sub 47, result 47:12.  And this 10K doubled my mileage for the week.  It's pretty intuitive that running helps you to be a faster runner, but I know there is at least SOME aerobic benefit to cycling and swimming, otherwise I wouldn't be this close to my 10K PR on such few miles.

MTA: I got 4th Overall, 3rd in my AG.  Yes, I live in a small town, and only 3 of the fast guys showed up.

Nice!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Nice run there Spaniel - that work really is starting to show results despite the virus.  

Good run from you too Tony.  Very very close to that target :-)

kcam

NorCal 10 mile (Goal 1:02:30) - Result was a 1:04:08 -----> epoch fail!  I shouldna tried going out at 6:15 pace.  Plan was to hold 6:15-6:20 up until I hit the hills then just take what i got until I got past those same hills on the return.  I really wanted to be able to fly on the last 5K as it's flat and would be with a slight tailwind.  But no dice.  I was able to take the pace down a little but not enough to make up for what I lost in the hills.  Still, I did knock 22 seconds from last year's time.   Happy with it as it's something to build on.  I was 8th in the 40-49 age group, 65th overall.  Onward and upward ....

8 March - Wellington 10k.  Goal.  Hmmm.  I don't do a lot of 10ks.  Sub 42 might be nice?

Oh my - 41.39 and 1st woman.  

Thats a 71sec PR.  Not sure where that came from Big grin

Oh my - 41.39 and 1st woman.  

Thats a 71sec PR.  Not sure where that came from Big grin

Congratulations Mandy! Go ahead and admit it, it came from bein' awesome cuz that's just how you roll.