3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

A Random Thought While Running... (Read 673 times)

Kalsarikännit

So I was checking out Trent's log (yeah, I said it), and during my run today I was thinking about what beer would represent my different runs in my log.  I thought I'd share since you all are a bunch of hopeless boozers. 

Easy-  Goose Island Summertime Kolsch.  Easy drinkin'.

Long-  New Belgium 1554.  Because it is my post long run shower beer.

MP-  Odell's 90 Shilling.  My 1st marathon was in Ft. Collins, Co and whenever I go back I rush to get this beer.

Intervals-  Any IPA.  I really don't have much to do with either of these things Blush.  I need to work on that.

Incline/Hill-  Old Chub.  It is my beer of choice in Leadville and the Blue Ridge Mtns of Northern Georgia.

Progression Tempo-  Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre.  This will really sneak up on you in a hurry.

Recovery-  Miller High Life.  The best of the crappy beers.  It goes with bloody mary's.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Slo

Long-  New Belgium 1554.  Because it is my post long run shower beer.

Damn I'm glad I ain't the only one who drinks beer in the shower after a long run...Ok, so sometimes it isn't always a long run.

Feeling the growl again

I haven't met either of you (yet), but somehow I'd rather be thinking of WG in the shower with a beer than Slo_H.  Wink

Hmmm.  I'll take a crack at this.

Easy run - Sam Adams Boston Lager - Go-to on any day that doesn't feel special

Long run - Whatever that Dragons Breath stuff was that rabutler gave me -- you can sip on that stuff forever

Intervals - Any IPA - That shit is bitter by the middle

Tempo - Chimay/any decent Belgian - I get all warm just thinking about either one, my favorite stuff.  

December Mileage Throw-Down -- Abita Amber, because that shit (half barrel in my kegerator) would never end, but somehow I enjoyed every minute of it and came out better on the other side.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

You guys take beer in the shower?  I'll take a beer with me to the bathroom, but it sits by the sink while I shower.  How do you keep shower water out of the beer?  I'd also worry about breaking a glass in there.

Not at it at all. 

You guys take beer in the shower?  I'll take a beer with me to the bathroom, but it sits by the sink while I shower.  How do you keep shower water out of the beer?  I'd also worry about breaking a glass in there.

These are always my exact thoughts every time the shower beer subject comes up.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

These are always my exact thoughts every time the shower beer subject comes up.

My thoughts when this subject comes up depends on my mental image of the poster..... 

Never tried beer in the shower.  Had one in the whirlpool after a marathon once though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kalsarikännit

How do you keep shower water out of the beer?  I'd also worry about breaking a glass in there.

Shower beer is always a bottle of beer.  It goes right on the side of the tub.  No water, no breakage.  

Prince of Fatness

Shower beer is always a bottle of beer.  It goes right on the side of the tub.  No water, no breakage.  

Still not sure how you avoid the possibility of knocking the bottle over and breaking it.  Pictures may help.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Pictures may help.

Absolutely.  See?  There is even enough room for an individually numbered bottle of five year old LaFolie.  

Hope this helps.  Big grin

Fancy-schmancy shower beer

Prince of Fatness

Absolutely.  See?  There is even enough room for an individually numbered bottle of five year old LaFolie.  

Hope this helps.  Big grin

Booo!

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Well now this is a good topic and I must agree with spaniel on the shower image issue as I have met both WG and Slo IRL. Sorry Slo Smile

That being said, what beers work for me? Hmmm tough one but I will give it a shot.

Easy- Guiness because it goes down the hatch so easy.

Long- Guiness simply put - it has staying power.

MP- Guiness as it does have some steady taste.

Intervals- Guiness as it helps with the kick.

Incline/Hill- Guiness as it is worth the climb.

Progression Tempo- Guiness since it always seems to be consumed faster as the evening wears on.

Recovery- Guiness cause its chocked full of all the things you need to get ready to run tomorrow.

Well there you have it. Now all I need is to visit Dublin.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Well there you have it. Now all I need is to visit Dublin.

I'm going in September.  I'm going to walk into a bar and as for a Bud Light....or better yet...what's the standard English brew?

C-R

I'm going in September.  I'm going to walk into a bar and as for a Bud Light....or better yet...what's the standard English brew?

Mother ........ Damnit. ND plays Navy in Dublin in Sept. I wonder if I can get the ok to run Boston and then ask to watch a football game in ireland in the same year. Odds?

I would ask for a Newcastle or a Bass. That should cause some concern.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I would ask for a Newcastle or a Bass. That should cause some concern.

Bass.  That's what I was trying to think of.  I wonder what they think of Black and Tans over there.

You do know that that old antique rifle hanging in my living room is a family heirloom related to Irishmen uprising, right?

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

This looks like fun.

Easy: Abita Amber or Bell's Amber, just good stuff.
                                Interval: Dog Days Lager, light and crisp.
                                Tempo: Abita Turbo Dog, it rocks.
                                Fartlek: Xingu, they both have funny names.
                                Hills: Victory Golden Monkey, a tripel to dull the pain.
                                Long: New Belgium 1554, can't go wrong here, although not in the shower for me.
                                Trail: Sawtooth Ale, goes well with food and I'm usually hungry.
                                Recovery: Bell's Oberon, refreshing.
                                Race: Maredsous 8, I deserve a nice reward.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.