3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2013 First Quarter Weight Loss Thread (Read 504 times)

Feeling the growl again

273.2  - probably the nadir of my avg weight

Earlier in the week I was 176.8 and 174.6 in that order.

Really gotta cut out that beer.

Must have been a hell of a weekend...  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

273.2  - probably the nadir of my avg weight

You sure abut that one?

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Away from my home and my scale for a few days.  Will update soon.

I was down south for a few days including Friday, so no week 2 weigh-in for me.  I didn't miss any running or core work so hopefully I kept my weight in check.  We'll see Friday.

I should have everything caught up so if I missed anything let me know.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

Me Week 2: 116.2

A "good" goal for women is 20%. You're already below that at ~15%. I would suggest staying there instead of trying to get lower. At ~12%, women start to have problems related to too little fat.

Problem, in my mind, with a BF goal is how do you measure it?  It's expensive to get an accurate BF number so you'd have to rely on the cheapie weight scale BF function to get weekly feedback points.  Those are certainly not accurate and I suspect the repeatability of a measurement wouldn't be very good.  The percent reduction goal would probably have to be a very small number except for people that are overweight by a good bit  that I would think that the measurements would be completely dominated by repeatability.

Me Week 2: 116.2

A "good" goal for women is 20%. You're already below that at ~15%. I would suggest staying there instead of trying to get lower. At ~12%, women start to have problems related to too little fat.

I'm not planning on staying at 12%. I spent a few years around 12-15% and never had any problems (knock on wood). I'd just like to get back down to that before I'm able to get back into heavy lifting and running. I'm NOT the average woman and will probably hang around 15% for as long as I can.

MTA: I'm between 14-15.5 % right now going by the definition in my body and how my clothes fit

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Problem, in my mind, with a BF goal is how do you measure it?  It's expensive to get an accurate BF number so you'd have to rely on the cheapie weight scale BF function to get weekly feedback points.  Those are certainly not accurate and I suspect the repeatability of a measurement wouldn't be very good.  

I know the absolute accuracy is probably off a bit, but I've had pretty good repeatability with my Tanita scale using the Athlete setting.  I always weigh in in the morning first thing; the only factor that really throws it out of whack is hydration...but unless people come over and drink a lot of beer with me I usually go into the night fully hydrated.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

273.2  - probably the nadir of my avg weight

lol, 173.2.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

flarunner

I'm not planning on staying at 12%. I spent a few years around 12-15% and never had any problems (knock on wood). I'd just like to get back down to that before I'm able to get back into heavy lifting and running. I'm NOT the average woman and will probably hang around 15% for as long as I can.

MTA: I'm between 14-15.5 % right now going by the definition in my body and how my clothes fit

How your clothes fit is probably the best way to "measure" body size since the clothes don't change size.

And for everyone else, remember that unless you cut out the fat and weigh it, any type of measurement will be an estimate. Some are better than others. Like Spaniel said, you want to look for repeatability over time.

Feeling the growl again

unless you cut out the fat and weigh it, any type of measurement will be an estimate.

Now there is Hurtlocker-worthy precision.  Thanks for reminding me to the remainder of that bad Hannibal movie waiting for me on the DVR for my evening run... Big grin

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

How your clothes fit is probably the best way to "measure" body size since the clothes don't change size.

And for everyone else, remember that unless you cut out the fat and weigh it, any type of measurement will be an estimate. Some are better than others. Like Spaniel said, you want to look for repeatability over time.

I was "around" 12% BF when the pictures of my abs was taken in my avatar. As far as I'm concerned it's ALWAYS an estimate! It's not the exact % I'm looking for but how my body looks when I'm super lean. I can't  always even go by clothes for the most part. I carry more muscle than the typical woman does as well. I'm not able to lift more than 5-10 lbs right now so I'm not as muscular as I get when I do

Problem, in my mind, with a BF goal is how do you measure it?  It's expensive to get an accurate BF number so you'd have to rely on the cheapie weight scale BF function to get weekly feedback points.  Those are certainly not accurate and I suspect the repeatability of a measurement wouldn't be very good.  The percent reduction goal would probably have to be a very small number except for people that are overweight by a good bit  that I would think that the measurements would be completely dominated by repeatability.

it isn't about EXACTNESS. In the end it's all an estimate. It's a look. I know what my body looks like when I get to AROUND 12% (Omron routinely measured me closer to 10% however I never took that seriously ,  I only through out a number because I don't think posting weekly pictures is the way to go and I think we all (at least in here) understand the tools out there aren't exact.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

That avatar is indeed impressive.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

I was "around" 12% BF when the pictures of my abs was taken in my avatar. 

Sick.  At half the BF% I cannot look like that.  I'm about 9%....when I get to my weight goal I will be 5-6%...perhaps than I will look close to that.  I'm just not built like that and I'm envious.  Good job!