3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

50-miler racing (Read 833 times)

DoppleBock

Sorry to hear about it - As long as you recover quickly a good learning experience

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

Bummer. Glad you didn't do any damage. With training, it sounds like you can hammer one of these.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Thanks.  Left leg is pretty much immobile now that the endorphins or what have you wore off.  Medicating with a bottle of Chimay Red.  I don't think it is a major thing.  Perhaps a compensation issue related to my always-tight PF in that foot.

That Zach fellow won in 5:37 and second was 5:51....I was reeling in 2nd until I started into the walking bit.  I was ~7min down from the lead at the turnaround and <3min from second.  I don't think this is something I would specialize in but now that I know something about it I'd like to come back and run a solid time.

Had I not figured out who Zach was due to his clear celebrity status (I'm not kidding), I would have discounted him until he took off.  Guy wears "shorts" that come down to his lower shins.  They said he did the same thing at Badwater.  Did not get a chance to talk to him but he seemed like a pretty nice guy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Nice move not making a bad situation even worse.  I hope that the knee is nothing.  Sounds like you learned quite a bit from this and you know what it takes to do well.  Heal up.

Not at it at all. 

Sorry about the DNF, but even with the DNF there were some positives.

- You know what it feels like to run 37 miles on trails.  Many people (including me) don't. 

- 37 fast miles with all the training setbacks says you should do very well when you make it to the start line well trained and uninjured.

- As you said, you were 3rd and closing in. 

- You dared to try something you weren't sure you could do.

- It sounds like you will be back to settle the score.

Hope you heal up quickly.

Sorry to hear this. But glad that it hasn't turned you away and you're interested in trying again.You had a hell of a run before your leg started to give you issues though!

Sounds like you're talking about Zach G? He definitely was rocking the basketball shorts at BW this year. Totally unassuming guy.

~Sara
              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

i'm sorry about this and hope that you're able to be back at it soon!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Sorry to hear this. But glad that it hasn't turned you away and you're interested in trying again.You had a hell of a run before your leg started to give you issues though!

Sounds like you're talking about Zach G? He definitely was rocking the basketball shorts at BW this year. Totally unassuming guy.

Yes, that's him.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So now that you have your 30-miler in, you should sign up for a 50-mile race. How about looking at it that way.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

So now that you have your 30-miler in, you should sign up for a 50-mile race. How about looking at it that way.

Heh. It was surprising to me the difference fueling made. I never ran more than 23 miles or 3 hours in training before and never more fuel than a bottle of Gatorade. So perma hunger and near bonk were the norm. In this race I never felt that energy was a challenge. I see a need for both types of runs in training but it was really nice to be a marathon plus into a run and find myself in good shape on the energy front. Learned a lot of small things to think about adjusting for the next time.

Thanks.  Left leg is pretty much immobile now that the endorphins or what have you wore off.  Medicating with a bottle of Chimay Red.

Wow, you experienced athletes know all the secret extra training things, huh?

Sorry about the knee acting up, but good call not risking anything serious or long-term.  And congrats on your sub-3 in 2011!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Sorry to hear about your DNF. My guess would be not enough beer during training. My recommendation would be large amounts of beer the night before your long runs to help simulate late race conditions.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I was reeling in 2nd 

I am really upset that you got hurt, but you remained true to yourself - a real competitor.  I am looking forward to your next attempt, spans. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DoppleBock

Interestingly enough - this is why I usually feel so crappy in my long training runs ... until between mile 18-22 then I start feeling awesome.  A hangover makes me run really conservative and drink lots of water the 1st couple hours - Sunday was no exception - After an 11 drink Saturday Badger sucking night - I shuffled through the 1st 2 - 7 mile laps, then smoothed out the next 2 and felt groovey for the 5th one.

So I can not disagree with your advice.

My recommendation would be large amounts of beer the night before your long runs to help simulate late race conditions.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I'm a little floored by the whole recovery angle on this thing.  Granted I did not run myself into the ground like I would in a hard-run marathon....was not on pavement....and was in trainers and not flats....but still, I ran 11 miles further than I ever have before and had significant muscle lock-up issues when I stopped (leading directly to the knee issues).

I was SLIGHTLY sore the day after...two days after I felt like I wanted to go for 10 miles or so.  Three days out (last night) I easily covered 10 miles at a decent easy pace with no ill effects.  I think doing a workout would have been over-doing it....I could feel a little lingering fatigue in the background...but my legs feel like I did nothing more than a moderate workout last weekend.

Weird.  If this is normal no wonder some of these guys can race such races so often, especially since they actually prepare for them.