3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Mileage Throw-Down (Read 1970 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Plenty of time left to make my life difficult this month.

Treadmille tricks:

-If you don't have a DVR, GET ONE.  I can't sell this enough, after the past week.  The ability to fast forward through commercials and always have shows you want to watch....priceless.

-Throw a towel over the damn odometer if you're just running steady place.  It won't tell you anything the clock won't and makes time crawl by.

-Play games with yourself (different than playing with yourself).  Tell yourself you won't check the time/odometer until the end of the second commercial break, ramp up the speed a bit during commercials for a fartlek, etc.  Anything that breaks up the monotony.

-Drink a crapload of water before you get on.  Keep some nearby and use it liberally.  Unless you run in the garage, you probably dehydrate a lot on the machine.

-Fans, fans, fans.  In case you didn't take mental notes when you saw my setup, besides the useless little ones in the tm console I have it positioned under a ceiling fan set on high and have a Walmart box fan blowing on high all the time from the side.  If I ever find time, I have plans for a setup to use an old car radiator circulating cold water in front of a fan to blow from the front from under the console.  Heat is my biggest limiting factor on the treadmill.

Stick with it.  After a couple weeks you acclimate to it and it's not so bad.  You just need to learn to shut off your brain.

I've got a Roku with Netflix and Amazon Prime, so the shows are covered. I've got one fan, but could probably use another. I'll have to try drinking a lot more water as I do sweat like crazy on the TM. The thing that usually gets me though is my hips start to get tired. I can go 2 hours on the road without much trouble, but after an hour on the treadmill my hips start to go.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Or you can just HTFU. Its for beer man!

Oh and this. Wink

Spaniel's right. Currently I am watching my episodes of Justified (14 of them). It helps to keep your mind off things. Also, get a really good fan. It helps with the heat issues.

Only 4 for me today but damnit its my first 60+ week in forever.

No shit. You run a trail marathon and I wuss out on the treadmill.

Oh, and it was my first 40+ week ever. Cool

Spaniel doesn't stand a chance.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I think I'll be reassessing my goal when I feel less like crap.  Tried to run this morning but that just confirmed I'm an idiot, should have stopped at 2 minutes (when the chest tightness combined wtih feeling like there was a grater in my lungs started), and not 30 minutes as I might have more lung left had I done that, and feel well enough to walk the 3 miles to the lab (I really need to do stuff there today, so can't work from home all day).  Argh. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

How noisy does a  TM get indoors?  Winters are OK in the garage, but running at Lunch on the TM during the summer sucks, even with a couple of fans.  No basement, but I do have a room on thh first floor for this.  

What are the chances one of you intrepid (insane?) folks can post daily-ish updates on these matchups?

kmark vs L Train

Greg C vs Hoppity

spaniel vs C-R+rabutler

A1 vs The World

I'd just log-stalk, but it's hard enough just keeping up with the smack-talk.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Greg C is whipping my lazy arse.  I've got to hope this stupid girl-cold can be transmitted by the internet (and that he's a wuss), it's my only hope of beating him, even if it doesn't involve reaching the mileage goals we both set!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Greg C is whipping my lazy arse.  I've got to hope this stupid girl-cold can be transmitted by the internet (and that he's a wuss), it's my only hope of beating him, even if it doesn't involve reaching the mileage goals we both set!

Perhaps I should join in on this challenge since my goal is basically the same.

Greg C vs. Hoppity vs. Pfetro

Hope you feel better Hoppity

Feeling the growl again

wolves circling the sick one

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

What are the chances one of you intrepid (insane?) folks can post daily-ish updates on these matchups?

kmark vs L Train

Greg C vs Hoppity

spaniel vs C-R+rabutler

A1 vs The World

I didn't commit to it openly but as thread owner I planned weekly status update at the top of the thread -- ie after Dec 7,14,21,28.

I got 1, MAYBE 2 hrs worth of sleep last night with the sick kiddo.  I think I set a PR for caffeine consumption today.  My hands are shaking and I'm still groggy.  So C-R and rabutler are going to get a break as I only do a single today.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

The King of Beasts

kmark vs L Train

Greg C vs Hoppity

spaniel vs C-R+rabutler

A1 vs The World

smart money is on The World

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

wolves circling the sick one

I'm a good loser, and will still put up a fight....just give me a couple of days (my husband says I'm banned from running tomorrow...thankfully he doesn't know I tried to run today).

Welcome to Greg's pack pfetro.  I'm going to enjoy watching you two fight it out to be leader of the pack.

Feeling the growl again

smart money is on The World

But it's like a bad kung fu movie, they only come at you one at a time.

So far I have you by like 1.5 miles.  I'll relish it while it lasts because I don't think it will.

I didn't commit to it openly but as thread owner I planned weekly status update at the top of the thread -- ie after Dec 7,14,21,28.

I got 1, MAYBE 2 hrs worth of sleep last night with the sick kiddo.  I think I set a PR for caffeine consumption today.  My hands are shaking and I'm still groggy.  So C-R and rabutler are going to get a break as I only do a single today.

Hope the sick kiddo is better soon, Spaniel.  Caffeine and grogginess make for a great combination. 

Well damn. Guess I'd better go run. Running cures hangovers, right?

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

Well damn. Guess I'd better go run. Running cures hangovers, right?

I was still dry-heaving on the line for my 8K road PR...and it's not a soft one.  So I say "yes".