3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Training and Getting to "Race Weight" (Read 754 times)

BMI = bodyweight in kilograms/ height in meters squared.  Bodyfat % is not factored in, which is a criticism of using BMI as a measure of fitness.

Just curious at how people are getting these numbers. I remember being at Sports Authority and seeing a scale that measures body fat %, while you stand on it (?).

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Just curious at how people are getting these numbers. I remember being at Sports Authority and seeing a scale that measures body fat %, while you stand on it (?).

I'm sure most of us are using such a scale.  It uses electrical interference.  If you get a decent one it works pretty well.  Are they as accurate as the gold standard tub method?  No.  But they are reasonably accurate if you set it right (mine has settings for sex and athlete/nonathlete), and they accurately reflect changes in BF% for the individual person.  The last point is what I am most concerned with anyways.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well I certainly don't think you'd run faster if you lost 22 lbs.

How does BMI calculate exactly? I'm 5'6, 18.5 BMI, 11 % body fat (I checked yesterday so I had dropped since it was 12  I guess), 115 lbs.

You're only two inches shorter at 5'4 and you'd really have to weigh 101lbs for your BMI to drop to the same as mine??

Hey I'm 5"6 and 119. Not sure what my bf% but it was around 11-12 % when I was lifting weights and was around 125. It's probably around the same maybe a little less since I know I've lost fat and not just muscle.  I'll have to fire up the Omron a few days this week to see what it says.  I'd like to get around 115 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well I certainly don't think you'd run faster if you lost 22 lbs.

How does BMI calculate exactly? I'm 5'6, 18.5 BMI, 11 % body fat (I checked yesterday so I had dropped since it was 12  I guess), 115 lbs.

You're only two inches shorter at 5'4 and you'd really have to weigh 101lbs for your BMI to drop to the same as mine??

BMI does not take into account your current BF%, it instead estimates BF using your height and weight and comparing it to the "average" person. This limits BMI by typically overestimating BF in athletes and those with larger skeletal frames and muscle mass.

At 11%, you are very low on the BF side of things for a female. Typical a female needs 10-12% of fat for essentail bodily functions such as temperature regulation, insulate body organs and tissue and for fuel. If your calcs are correct, you really don't have any to lose.

For males, we need 2-4% fat for essentail bodily fuctions and with a 6-13% BF number a male would be considered an athlete.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I'm sure most of us are using such a scale.  It uses electrical interference.  If you get a decent one it works pretty well.  Are they as accurate as the gold standard tub method?  No.  But they are reasonably accurate if you set it right (mine has settings for sex and athlete/nonathlete), and they accurately reflect changes in BF% for the individual person.  The last point is what I am most concerned with anyways.

Your current state of hydration also affects the BF percentage that is calculated.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Seanv2

This sound like a good one, Spaniel, what model is it?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

At 11%, you are very low on the BF side of things for a female. Typical a female needs 10-12% of fat for essentail bodily functions such as temperature regulation, insulate body organs and tissue and for fuel. If your calcs are correct, you really don't have any to lose.

Yea, I don't want to lose any. I just wanted to know how it calculated. I'm not as familiar with how it works as %.

My body fat seems to go up when i'm not training as hard, as does weight a couple of lbs. I'm usually 117-119 when i'm not training hard, and had body fat% measured at 13 at that point. I am using a scale like spaniel described with those same features.

And I know the body fat is low, I was thinking it was 12%. I don't know what to do about it though or if it's harmful to me specificially. I feel okay. I have had issues in the past (a few years back) where I was at 9% and I didn't have the typical monthly female issue for a really long time...until I gained weight. I also weighed ~112lbs at that time.

Was it all a dream?

Hopefully it uses impedance rather than interference... unless you live in a really noisy environment that is Wink

Interestingly enough, high impedance = high body fat, but wearing socks or having very calloused feet will result in fictiously low BF%.  Also, since the current only passes through the legs, being Trent or not being Trent could factor in significantly Wink

Interestingly enough, high impedance = high body fat, but wearing socks or having very calloused feet will result in fictiously low BF%. 

I don't know why you have to tell everyone about my very calloused feet. That's private.

MTA: Wink

Feeling the growl again

Hopefully it uses impedance rather than interference... unless you live in a really noisy environment that is Wink

Interestingly enough, high impedance = high body fat, but wearing socks or having very calloused feet will result in fictiously low BF%.  Also, since the current only passes through the legs, being Trent or not being Trent could factor in significantly Wink

Sure.  Leave it to the engineer to catch that.  Of course, you are right.

And right about the hydration too, and that will affect weight.  I always try to weigh myself first thing (well second) after waking up, if I do my job hydrating it should be pretty reliable.  If I don't the day-to-day fluctuation is noticable and it keys me in to drink more.

Hopefully my callousing is relatively constant.  MTA:  mine won't even function with socks.  That's why I believe in it more for monitoring changes over time than caring about the absolute accuracy.  

Anyways, it beats monkeying with calipers or figuring out how to do the tub method at home!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

This sound like a good one, Spaniel, what model is it?

It is a Tanita, I don't see a model # but it says "adult/athlete" right by the display.  My wife got it for me before she was my wife so it's not a spring chicken. We've been very happy with it.

A tanita is what we have too...but I don't know the model.

It still says i'm 23. Does that matter? I never changed it (3 years later...)

Hopefully my callousing is relatively constant.  MTA:  mine won't even function with socks.  That's why I believe in it more for monitoring changes over time than caring about the absolute accuracy.  

I think that is the most important part of using one along with possibly plotting it out and using a running average or trend instead of the daily percentage numbers.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

A tanita is what we have too...but I don't know the model.

It still says i'm 23. Does that matter? I never changed it (3 years later...)

Change your age and see. I would think it will make a difference (especially as you get older because 26 is pretty young from where I am) as we tend to lose some muscle as we age.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life