3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2013 Racing Thread (Read 59 times)

C-R just never put it on the Big Board!

Yeah, he's been slacking. I think we need to send a search crew out for him. His boys must have him running scared with how they did in the 5k recently  That's why we're not hearing from him. Big grin

kcam

Nah, let him be.  He's probably out training trying to stay ahead of the boys.

To show you how far I have my head up my ass about my 50 mile race in a couple days, I keep forgetting that I'm also doing this 2 weeks later...

Mt. Washington Road Race

6/15

7.6 miles straight up a big dumb mountain. There is no flat. There is no down. There is only up, and more up. Until last year I swore I would never do this stupid race.

I ran it in 1:38something last year, and knew I could've done better. I believed the hype about how hard it was gonna be so I held back a little waiting for the impossible monster uphill that never really came. Now, unfortunately, I know better, so I have to do it at least one more time. "They" say a fair equivalent goal for this is roughly your time for a half, plus a few minutes depending on who "they" are. My half PR is 1:30:12, so I'm gonna say...

<1:33:00

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Who Date Event Where Distance Goal Result Comments
          Gville Kevin 6/2 Sprint for Monroe Monroe, CT 5K 16:50    

Yeah, this isn't happening. Though, as of yesterday, I'm "back" to running (19 whole minutes, whoo hoo!). Racing this weekend out of the question. DNS me, please.

Also, nice work, Greg! MTA( on the 50, and the goal for Mt. Wash).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          bhearn

bhearn 6/1 Rainier to Ruston 50M Trail Run (actually 50.8)   7:30

Going against any advice that I would offer to anyone else (including myself if I was smart enough to listen), I am going for <2:54:46 at Manitowoc Marathon (Wisconsin) on June 23rd.

My legs still have a lot of recovering to do as even a few 800's at 10K pace are leaving my legs dead.  The good news is aerobically I feel great and I really don't need to worry about building up long runs.

xhristopher

I'm going to race 4 laps of the track on the 22nd as part of a club relay. This race intimidates me more than a marathon. Last year I ran 5:24 in what was my worst executed race of the year. I started too fast, got weak in the middle, and didn't have the guts to push as hard as I should have at the end. This year I've got to improve. Really, I'm less focused on time as I am on running the best race that is in my legs on that day. Reasonable goal would be sub 5:15. Sub 5:10 will require a visit to the hurtlocker.

Roth Runner 6/6 Highgate track 10,000m night of PB's, London goal: sub 34 RESULT 35:15

Massive overestimation of my fitness at the moment as I managed 35:15 in the end.  Pretty much had to run solo after a couple of laps as I got isolated between two pacing groups.  After being on pace for a whole 2.5k I ended up drifting off pace before managing a decent last 600m to pick up a few places.  Held off another dude in a sprint finish which was fun.

Track 10,000m running is different.  It was quite warm and windy but I'm not sure how I've got 30s slower on the track from a hilly road 34:48 in March!  Oh well, back to the drawing board.  I still think I can get close to sub 34 by the end of the summer.

Roth Runner 6/6 Highgate track 10,000m night of PB's, London goal: sub 34

Roth Runner 6/12 Rosenheim League track, London 1500m, 3000m goal: better times from 5/29 meet

Roth Runner 6/26 Dartford Open track 10,000m, London goal: sub the 6/6 time

Check out the goal times of the field for the Highgate 10,000m meet (which is split into 2 races):

http://www.highgateharriers.org.uk/hh_open_10000_entries.php

There are 23 runners aiming for sub 30 minutes, and a further 20 looking to go sub 31! Tight lips  I expect to be very low down in the results of this one!

Holy crap!  That's one heck of a field.  Good to see some of the guys in the mid-30's shooting for sub-30.  Even a few women in the race too.  Having a field like that, the only thing you need to watch out for is going out too fast.  But on the flip side, you'll at least have some good ones to key off to help pull you along.  Depending on how they split the races, you'll surely get lapped.  The challenge is going to be don't let it happen twice.

kcam

That's a helluva field, Robin.  Good luck with that June!    Do they play the  'requested motivational music' as the race progresses?  What's your request?   I'd ask 'em to play me some UFO - "Lights Out" (yeah, I'm old!)   If I ever have the pleasure of racing in London I will psych up by listening to that before the race.

That's a helluva field, Robin.  Good luck with that June!    Do they play the  'requested motivational music' as the race progresses?  What's your request?   I'd ask 'em to play me some UFO - "Lights Out" (yeah, I'm old!)   If I ever have the pleasure of racing in London I will psych up by listening to that before the race.

Thanks Ken,

I requested 'Are you gonna be my girl' by Jet for something upbeat.  Should be a fun and crazy race, I did a 1500m/3000m double last night to get a bit more track savvy in preparation!

mbehr, I fully expect to get lapped once and it could be a fight to avoid it happening twice for sure!

kcam

Let's try this again ....

kencamet 6/29 Mile on the Track Saratoga, CA 1609m 5:22    

5:22 would be a huge PR.  Best track mile is 5:25, I've run 11 track miles in the past 4 years so it's not like I haven't tried.  My fitness is now the best it's ever been, weight's down, maybe with some specific mile workouts through June I can hit this one.

SueIn_TN 6/8 RUTS 10Hour Paducah, KY As Many as Possible 63 miles    

I NEED to stop wimping out and actually run a race: I have DNS'd 4 races since Dec due to having nagging pains.
                            TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive    6/1    Rail Trail to Foot Bridge 5K   Granville, NY        <24:1415 Which was last years time but I'm not really feeling it.

Fail.  First AG = Bottle of maple syrup.  It was hot.  mta: 25:23 , 8 pounds heavier

and 30 degrees warmer than last year.

steph  

bhearn

bhearn 6/1 Rainier to Ruston 50M Trail Run (actually 50.8)   7:30

Blew up big time, worst cramps in years. I managed to pull it together towards the end to squeak in under 8:00, at 7:59. 4OA, 2nd master.