3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That thar is (was?) a special one...

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Dude, srsly, it was a pleasure meeting you and everything so I know you are a good guy but damn you need work.  That Flat 12 Amber is pretty good.  Maybe you need to sleep with some hops or something.

In the meantime I am drinking a Sierra Nevada Tumbler, brown ale.  Not hoppy.  You would like this one.

I know, but I'm not completely anti-hops. I'm learning to appreciate a good hoppy beer. For example, I've enjoyed the two different Hop Project batches that I've tried. I liked Flat 12's Walkabout Pale Ale more than I liked the Amber. The Flat 12 Amber had a flavor to it that I just don't care for. I'm assuming it's due to the hops, but I could be wrong. It's kind of a metallic taste, but that isn't quite the right description. If someone could educate me on what I'm tasting that would be helpful.

I'll have to try the Tumbler. They usually have Sierra Nevada around here.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Speaking of hops, I got a jar of this and had a couple yesterday.

Very tasty. It's made with Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, caramelized onions and Cascade hops. It also has quite a kick from some habanero peppers and a bit of bourbon.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

That thar is (was?) a special one...

Was is correct.  And special is correct too.  Enjoyed it.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Perhaps the deeper overall flavor of 32 covered up some of the hops for me?  My nose is bad, dude.  Don't trust me to smell anything.  31 was definitely more carbonated....unless you've noticed otherwise my experience home-bottling stuff is that some variation in carbonation within the same batch is normal...one could have been more than intended and the other less?  FWIW I expected a bit more carb than was I saw in 32.

Yup, both good though.  I finished off a couple craft brews last night and yours were better than either of them.

Found one last 32 and just drank it.  I can confirm that a significant amount of the flavor and aroma from the Amarillo hops has subsided.  I bottled it over 4 months ago so I should not be surprised.  What you are saying here now makes sense.  The reason for the deeper flavor in the number 32 is probably because I toasted the malts in the oven a little longer.  The reason that you liked the 31 better may be because you like the UK style pale better than the US style.  Can't blame you for that, the UK base malt (Maris Otter) makes a damn good brew.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

In an effort to cultivate my appreciation of hops, and to keep MrFinn from punching me in the throat, I went out and bought a couple of hoppy beers to try. Had this one last night.

I must admit this was a very good beer. The style still isn't my favorite, but I think I can occasionally enjoy a good IPA.

I also have a Victory HopDevil and a Breckenridge Brewery 471 DIPA to try.

Prince of Fatness

I must admit this was a very good beer. The style still isn't my favorite, but I can occasionally enjoy a good IPA.

I also have a Victory HopDevil and a Breckenridge Brewery 471 DIPA to try.

Stone IPA is good, and definitely is not the hoppiest one out there.  I have had the Victory HopDevil and really like it.  That one is also not over the top with hops, IMO.  Haven't had the Breckenridge, but if it is a double IPA it may be a little more in your face.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Interesting

I am heading to DFH this month.  Hmm.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'll be in DFH territory early next week. May be too early tho.
                    WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

My wife may be going to visit her sister in Illinois next month. I'll have to get her to stop somewhere and see what DFH brews they have available. They stopped distributing to Indiana. Sad

MTA: Seems I misremembered. I'm going to IL next month, the DW may be going to TN. That works out even better.

Prince of Fatness

I'll be in DFH territory early next week. May be too early tho.

Near the main brewery?  I will be down there in a little more than a week and will visit the brewery.  I am thinking hoping that if they are shipping in a week then it should already be available at the brewery.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Naw, will be in DC and Rockville.

Prince of Fatness

This is an event this evening at my local beer place.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf/2012/09/sam_adams_stein-hoisting_times.html

I passed.  Maybe I should have gone so I could shed some weight by holding out a beer mug.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

yada yada yada

oh and this.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

yada yada yada

oh and this.

Fuck that.

Though my beer consumption is down ~70%.  Now for other forms of alcohol.

I need to update with the couple new Belgian-ish beers I drank from the stash.  

In addition to two volume-boosting beers I drank tonight to reduce my BP after work issues and not having time to run (Blue Moon, Avalanche Ale), I did have Finn's DFH Chicory Stout tonight.  Damn find stout, I could tast the chicory in it.  I've always been a chicory fan.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills