3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Holiday mileage Shenanigans? (Read 38 times)

Prince of Fatness

Welcome to the "too little time to do much of anything" world and wait until you hit 50. Its been fun so far - not

Sadly, not having enough time to run is not a problem that I have. Old? Check. Fat? Check. Burned out? Don't think so.

I just don't think that my hip can withstand much more mileage that I am running now, and I have yet to convince myself to try to get out of it the most that I can. I've kind of been just going through the motions for a while now. Multiple injury setbacks in recent years have taken their toll. Maybe I should race more next year.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

So the past two years have been complete shit for me.  Ever since taking a promotion which required very heavy travel, coinciding with my kids getting to a point where their activities are more time consuming.

earlier this year was terrible as on top of this we had a big remodel and my contractor ended up being incompetent, so I had to do half the work myself.

April was only about 20 miles total.  Since then, the monthly upward trend has been pretty promising.  Modest, but in the right direction.

we are on vacation in LA and family activities led to three days no running.  So today I figured big makeup day.  I set out south on the pacific coast highway and turned around at ten miles, making a guaranteed 20-miler.  It was great, with the last four miles kind of challenging.  This was by far my longest run since winning the Chicagoland marathon spring 2014.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Nice 20 spaniel.

I think I may have found the solution to my troubles. It involves lots of cross training to gain strength. Actually looking forward to the challenge and trying to stay focused. Actually took a spinning class yesterday. Kicked my ass for 50 minutes but damn achilles isn't barking today.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Nice 20 spaniel.

I think I may have found the solution to my troubles. It involves lots of cross training to gain strength. Actually looking forward to the challenge and trying to stay focused. Actually took a spinning class yesterday. Kicked my ass for 50 minutes but damn achilles isn't barking today.

I've been thinking of this in prep for a wilderness elk hunt next year.  My dad and uncle are pretty crippled with what they are told are hereditary back prophlems, so I am becoming a bit paranoid about maintaining back strength.  I'm thinking I should not allow myself to sit and watch tv at night unless I am doing planks and the like.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Village people

I've been thinking of this in prep for a wilderness elk hunt next year.  My dad and uncle are pretty crippled with what they are told are hereditary back prophlems, so I am becoming a bit paranoid about maintaining back strength.  I'm thinking I should not allow myself to sit and watch tv at night unless I am doing planks and the like.

I have been on the bench for a couple of years with some weird gait issue. After a few trips to PT I decided to spend time working on supporting muscles. I do a fair bit of upper body but I focused on those running specific things like squats and lunges. I am still not running but I am probably in a better place physically.

C-R

Watched back issues really destroy my dad's later years. Although his were caused by jumping from airplanes and helicopters for a living. The planks and foam roller are now my best friends. And eccentric calf exercises on the stairs.

I think you're on the correct track DJ. Patience is what my PT counsels for us older people. We don't heal up quickly. Old > 29

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

DoppleBock

When we got up to Porcupine ... I new I was not going to run ... took last 3 days of 2016 off - So fail on that goal

Total miles 217.5 / 150 = 145% of Goal

Total Vertical   25,523 / 15,000 = 170% of Goal

I drank a lot while in the UP and plenty on New Year's Eve ... Bell's 2-hearted seemed to be my beer of choice

I did not lose any weight in December

Time to move on to 2017

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I feel like I set a decent base for 2017.  I just have to hold my body together long enough to lose weight ... oh, and actually lose weight.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I largely failed to execute in December, though in the grand context it was a success as my highest mileage in over a year.  But I could have done more.  Last week was  travel and I didn't fit the running in.  Although I had my first 20-miler in 2.5 year.  Boy did it hurt to look at it that way.

Prince of Fatness

I hit rock bottom in 2013.  I couldn't sustain any kind of running.  Hip surgery in 2014.  That helped, but there was still a bunch of tightness in the hips.  It took a shit ton of Graston starting in mid 2015 to get me to where I can at least sustain a modest running schedule, about 25 - 30 MPW.  It's working though.  I just ran a report.

Jan 2013 - Jun 2015 (30 months) - 927.7 miles

Jul 2015 - Dec 2016 (18 months) - 1,968.3 miles

The primary factor for me right now is weight.  I have finally given up on the old standard and am willing to race a little, but I need to lose about 10 - 15 pounds.

Not at it at all. 

Village people

I got ticked and started running again. I figured that if I could walk my dog 6-7 miles that I should give running a try. The walks just wind up the dog so I am hoping to run with him soon. So far so good. Slow with some walk breaks but okay.

C-R

20 mpw baby! I'm owning this running thing.

Well actually I'm with Finn about weight and racing but so far I'm staying injury free which is good.

Village people

Great way to start the year, CR and Finn.