3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

A clean slate - Qualification for 2012 US 24 Hour National Team (Read 451 times)

DoppleBock

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

GO DB!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DoppleBock

Basically I have to go as I have to performaces within the qualification period

I think I will be able to take 3 stabs at it

1)  Sept 2011 - US National Champs Race (Althought 4 weeks after Leadville)

2)  Some December race

3)  Either June 2012 - Fans 24 or May 2012 3 days at the fair

I sure hope I can take care of it in Sept 2011 - I really hate the punishment these races give my body 

GO DB!

What kind of race in December? 

DoppleBock

24 hour race

I wanted to do a 48, but It comes 2nd

Feeling the growl again

With my Montana bowhunt and work travel schedule there is no way I will be at Cleveland, but good luck.  You are hungry and I would hate to be the man right in front of you 23:30 in.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've never posted this directly, but you're a real inspiration to me in life. You find time to earn a living, spend time with your family and take them to church.  I talk to my wife about you, your accomplishments and how running has helped you be a better and happier father, since I think this is the kind of stuff that makes her more supportive of my running. 

DoppleBock

You have until June 12th 2012 ...

I hope having some experience pays off - Now I just need to donate 40# of fat to some needy soul. 

With my Montana bowhunt and work travel schedule there is no way I will be at Cleveland, but good luck.  You are hungry and I would hate to be the man right in front of you 23:30 in.

DoppleBock

Thank you - Although I get unbalanced at times and the sacrifices are not always easy. 

I've never posted this directly, but you're a real inspiration to me in life. You find time to earn a living, spend time with your family and take them to church.  I talk to my wife about you, your accomplishments and how running has helped you be a better and happier father, since I think this is the kind of stuff that makes her more supportive of my running. 

But seriously, I kinda feel the same about DB and a few others here.  My wife has already seen the change (for the better) in me when I get to run (but she's heard about DB too!).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Good luck DB!  Oh, and there is actually a thing such as a 48-hour race???  Mind-boggling.

Seeming that Zach is one of your favorite regional ultra runners, thought you might appreciate his log entry on the Cornbelt 24 hour run recently.  What you guys do is a totally different league.

Date: 4/30/2011

Type: Race

Course: Cornbelt 24 hour run

Distance: 133.93 miles

Duration: 24:00:00

Pace: 10:46 / mile

Notes: Went down to Eldridge Iowa Saturday morning (woke up at 3.30 or something) to run a 24 hour race. Plan was just get a long run in, 106 mile, to get 200 for the week and hopefully save myself to get another solid week of training in coming up.

The catch to this race, as if 24s aren't bad enough, the loop for this race was held in the second lane of the North Scott High School. In the race was the guys who had the two best performances in this race, around 142 and 141 and both had run on the US 24 hour team in the past.

Met Andy Bloom down there and he took the pace out early, but the wind was ridiculous and eventually he came back to us and we ran together. Then since he was competing for the entire 24 adn I was just trying to get to 100 he dropped back. I still think the wind took a lot out of us. The weather in the morning said it was going to be 20 to 25 mile an hour winds... not sure what it ended up being, but it was brutal.

During the race we ran the normal direction for four hours and then switched every three hours I was not moving well in the first 50 at all... had a lot of trouble getting comfortable and I was starting to wonder if 106 would even be an option. Around 50 there were a couple of people pretty close, but both of those guys dropped out shortly after that and the third one kind of faded.

60 people on a track, most of who are walking in pack, and many with friends or family to help them, is really frustrated… there was a ton of weaving in and out of people and this cost us a lot of effort and added quite a few miles especially when combined with the hourly trip off the course to the bathroom. Also, there were a lot of interesting things that occurred during this race… for exactly, one of the competitors was actually breast feeding her kid during the race. Someone had their pet rabbit on a leash and a dude, who at 50, was running well and in second, but then his GPS and within a lap he was out of the race… couldn’t run anymore… was very strange.

Anyway, I was there with no crew so every hour I’d stop and get some food or pop and relax for a bit… was trying to be smart and not overdue. On another note, during the 24 hours I didn’t drink any water at all. Only cans of pop and some powerade. Also, I didn’t wear any socks… just the mayflys I got for Christmas.

The course record guy just stayed consistent the whole race … running four laps then walking one. At 100 or so the lead about ten miles, or 40 laps, so I figured I might as well stay in it and get the win… went through 100 in 16:46 or so… since I had been stopping a lot, I didn’t feel terrible (considering) so I kept going despite really wanting to stop.

With 6 hours to go and down to 4 and 3, I thought second place guy had cut the lead to 20 laps so I was really kind of worried and trying to push. I don’t think that ever actually happened though and I think ended up winning by over 30 so he did put a bit of a dent in the total.

Looking back there were so many things I could have done better and quite a few hours where I really was slacking and cost myself getting closer to the record. But I guess considering the wind and the relaxed mentality going in, I guess I’ll take it. That said I’m kind of bummed because I have a feeling I won’t be able to run for a while.

Ended up being 530 laps and change.

Officially 133.93 miles. 50 in 7:30:52 and 100 in 16:46:57. Scott was second in 125.60

DoppleBock

I would guess it was Scott Epplemen and Bill Allen.

Zach has not figured out how to hit a 24 out of the park yet ... a few more miles (Actually 1.1) and he would have had one on the board for qualifying for Poland 2012.  Who knows what it will take - My guess is 140.

Hawt and sexy

DB, I still wanna touch your pants.

I'm touching your pants.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Good luck DB!  Oh, and there is actually a thing such as a 48-hour race???  Mind-boggling.

A 48 is on my bucket list too. By the way - my pal William Sichel just won (yet another) 6 day race. I think he got well over 500 miles, but need to check the results. I'll try to post his race report somewhere. He is amazing. He lives on a tiny tiny island (probably no more than 5 miles around) and trains using a weight vest. I think he also holds the UK best time for Badwater.