3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Race thread (Read 25 times)

Oh, and I decided on vacation that if I can get the lottery for Chicago next year, that's my time to get sub-2:40.

16:38 for me today.  My legs felt crap before and during but I'm happy with that on a double hill course.  I'm fairly confident I can knock out a PR next week in my track 5k, conditions and competition permitting....

Name Date Race Location Distance Goal
        CliveF 8/22 Southern Biscuit Soldiers Reunion Newton NC 5km <22:30

May as well dip a toe again.

Let's hope I've improved my fitness a little since April.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

pcaharrier

Death Before DNF 50-mile on August 15

I covered 60 miles in my 24-hour race last year, but this will be my first trail ultra with lots of elevation change. It takes place in and around the Black Mountains of North Carolina (elevations ranging from 3,000 to over 6,000 feet). Given my relative lack of opportunities to train on the kinds of climbs I'm going to face--the best I could do was a nearby bridge with a 5-6% grade--I'll be glad just to enjoy the secnery and finish this one. And not get attacked by a bear, of course.

Oh boy. I finished one loop (in 10:26) which I estimate to be about 27 miles and I was done, making this my first DNF. The course was absolutely brutal, with an abundance of steep rocky trails that made running impossible for most of the day. I probably could have finished about an hour faster (with the group I started with) if I hadn't had cramps starting on the first big downhill section. The scenery, however, was every bit as breathtaking as I expected so even if I didn't finish the 50 miles (only two people actually did) it was still a great experience.

2 more efforts for me:

Aug 15

Brockwell Parkrun

<16:47

Aug 19

Hercules Wimbledon 5k Festival Night

Track 5k

16:15

The 5k Festival night has 5 graded races so should be super competitive.

Ended up in the 4th of 5 races last night which meant I was one of the slowest in the race - and I was last after 3-4 laps.  But I managed to pick off half a dozen over the race to get a shiny new PR of 16:08.6!

MTA: The Main race was won in 14:23 from 14:24 

Ended up in the 4th of 5 races last night which meant I was one of the slowest in the race - and I was last after 3-4 laps.  But I managed to pick off half a dozen over the race to get a shiny new PR of 16:08.6!

MTA: The Main race was won in 14:23 from 14:24 

Wow, outstanding race and congrats on the PR. You are getting awfully close to sub-16!

But I managed to pick off half a dozen over the race to get a shiny new PR of 16:08.6!

Outstanding!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Whoa!  Big congrats on that one!  I think we know who will be sub-16 next...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

16:08. Wow. Well done.

Agree with spaniel - sub 16 is right there for you.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Incredible RR.

I really don't get some of your times. Your sub-34 10k pr is amazing. This one is right up there with that. I almost think that sub-16 wont be that hard.

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

kcam

Very big congratulations RR!  I agree with the others in that you're probably in sub-16 shape.

Thanks all!

I'm not sure how easy it will be to get the extra 9 seconds as that was a super competitive race and excellent conditions - but I will try!

Next up:

8/22

Peckham Rye Parkrun

London, UK

Sub 16:22 (Road PR)

Blow-out!  My legs were not recovered from Wednesday so 16:52.  I think I needed to remember I'm 42 not 22....

Feeling the growl again

Blow-out!  My legs were not recovered from Wednesday so 16:52.  I think I needed to remember I'm 42 not 22....

Whoa wait...you're challenging sub-16, and you're 42?

I've got zero excuses not to get my ass in gear, you've got 5 years on me...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Mark me down as a DNS on my 5K this weekend.

I just returned from a 2-week vacation to Long Island and Minneapolis (eldest daughter's wedding and visiting relatives) and got about 9 miles in over that time but plenty of eating and drinking.  No prayer for a sub-19 therefore no-go.