3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 991 times)

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, did you wear those T6s?  

Yes.  I am at a complete loss as to why they put a blister on so quickly (<16min).  I'm sure I had it laced weird or something, but either way I'd rather risk Boston in my old but tried flats.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Add me for 3/19 Chuckanut 50k

Was able to run 20 miles this weekend I think I can manage this race. Wont be pretty, but it'll be good training.

~Sara
      It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

jpdeaux

Tough day for denizens of the hurl-locker eh? 

Somehow this scares me a bit more than the given name.

While I do hurt myself sometimes, I've never quite gotten to this point. I might need to resign from the group.

Chuckanut 50k yesterday was super. I treated it like a training run and tried not to overdo it. Did it in 5:42 which was fine with me (5.5k feet of elevation gain). Achilles and calves held up. Finished off the weekend with a 69 flight stair climb this morning. Didn't die.

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

3/22 - Wellington Waterfront 5k - Target sub 20

Yes.  I am at a complete loss as to why they put a blister on so quickly (<16min).  I'm sure I had it laced weird or something, but either way I'd rather risk Boston in my old but tried flats.

Are the T6s basically just the older version of the T7s? Those are super light. I'm scared of mine.I haven't done anything in them but prance around the house.

kcam

Another disappointing race for me this morning.  Across the Bay 12K (starts in Sausalito, up a big hill to the Golden Gate Bridge, Across The Bay, then down along the marina to Fort Mason.  Beautiful run but very tough.  Weather was crap, not as much rain as forecast but a really tough headwind coming over the bridge.  A lot of water and mud puddles to run through and around made it not a fast day to race.  Still, I was disappointed in my performance - 48:38 official time, 2 minutes slower than last year.  That's the 3rd disappointment in a row.  I think I'm gonna stop racing and just train for a a couple months.  I'm signed up for the Bay to Breakers 12K and my next important race is the Marin Memorial Day 10K.  Those are May 15th and May 31st.  So I'm taking a vow of no more than one 5K between now and May 15th.  Other than that, easy runs and a couple workouts per week.  Good luck to all on the thread. 

Feeling the growl again

Are the T6s basically just the older version of the T7s? Those are super light. I'm scared of mine.I haven't done anything in them but prance around the house.

I don't know, mine are brand new.  But yes, they are super light....a tad lighter than my old Cubatos.  I loved them until they ripped that golfball-sized hole in my heel.  Other than that, they felt very soft for their weight.  After Boston when I have time to screw with them I will try again.  I probably just laced my heel in too hard though usually that's a good thing.

I'm now thinking of rolling the dice with the new local June marathon, assuming I can get a diagnosis/fix for whatever ails me....maybe I will try them then.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

For some reason, spaniel never caught my race post way back on page one.

March 19th

Get Lucky 7k

Minneapolis MN

"A" goal = Sub 31:00

"B" goal = Sub 32:30

I ran a 32:12 but was a bit dissapointed with my time. I messed up my Garmin before the start by inadvertantly hitting the start button about 3.5 minutes before the gun sounded. I had my watch page set to distance and average lap pace so the pace was f'ed up for the first mile. I ran that mile in 6:50, way too fast for me and reallt started to fade by about mile 3.5 or so.

I finished 12 of 202 in AG, 136 of 1408 male and 170 of 5077 overall so not real bad for me but I think the 31:30 was realistic if I had raced smarter. My 5k split was 21:59 so that was encouraging.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hey, you live in Minneapolis?

Nope, but I see you do.

I live about an hour and a half NW of Minneapolis.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Nope, but I see you do.

yup

jpdeaux

My notes for my short taper run Saturday before my Sunday half:

"Good signs. Felt like crap today.  Hurt from Brooks racers. Have to wear bricks (Asics 2150's) tomorrow instead. New pains all week. Good signs. Fuck it. Just drill it tomorrow."

And drill I did. Kept it somewhat painful throughout.

jpdeaux - New Bedford Half Marathon 3/20/11 - 1:29:44

And drill I did. Kept it somewhat painful throughout.

jpdeaux - New Bedford Half Marathon 3/20/11 - 1:29:44

4 min PR...nice job and way to finish tough!  Interesting to see mile 7 pace into the wind vs mile 12 pace up-hill.  Looks like you had two long hills.  Great run.

jpdeaux

4 min PR...nice job and way to finish tough!  Interesting to see mile 7 pace into the wind vs mile 12 pace up-hill.  Looks like you had two long hills.  Great run.

Thanks. Racing is tough. I'm only just learning that.

I think the earlier hill was not as much of an issue because it was, well, earlier. I had been warned about the mile 12 hill, not about the mile 2-3.5 up and down sequence. But as I look more closely at the elevation profile, let's be honest here, miles 4-12 are either downhill or flat. Yes, there was wind, but you've got to hold pace there. It's a great setup that gives you a big chance to race; then reminds you at mile 12 that it IS a race.

I'm still happy. An average pace starting with a 6:nn makes me very happy. Big grin