3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

October Racing Thread (Read 1318 times)

Feeling the growl again

Ultra running is ultra stupid Smile

Guess I'll fit right in then!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

10/1 -- Wine at the Line 5 Mile Run -- <46:00, drink wine

My legs have been dead all week. Hopefully they'll be up for it tomorrow.

44:52. Even though my legs didn't feel like they could do it, I really wanted 45 minutes. I pushed until it hurt and then just held it. I'm sure I'm going to be really sorry tomorrow morning. The wine was really good though. Not feeling any pain at the moment Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Race number on, bag check packed. Time to head out soon. It's a balmy 33 degrees out now.
        WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Race number on, bag check packed. Time to head out soon. It's a balmy 33 degrees out now.

Good luck!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

2:41:22, 2ag and around 10oa. I'm hurtin now but am happy with effort. Will post more details later.

Feeling the growl again

2:41:22, 2ag and around 10oa. I'm hurtin now but am happy with effort. Will post more details later.

Awesome!  Close to my prediction than your original goal.  Wink   Can't wait for details.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Racing 26.2K this Sunday. Want to run 6:50 or 7:00 pace.

6:44. It was an out & back and I was starting to dread hills on the return, but a guy saw me at the turn-around and caught up to me, and was doing it as an MP trial run, and he thought I was running the pace he wanted, and he was friendly and chatty, and that got me through the hills, so I felt fortunate in that. I couldn't keep with him after that, but I chased along after him for most of the rest, which helped me keep going pretty good for most of it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey, congrats!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Saw it on facebook. Congrats Mike Smile

Congratulations Mike - thats an amazing time.  

Well done Richard - nothing like a wine at the end to make it all better again Big grin  Candice - have we got a post NY wine plan?  We need one!

6:44.

Nice job holding pace. 

Mike, this is great! Looking forward to the details. 

Nice racing, AP and Richard. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Turned out to be a great day for running.  Mid-30's in the morning and probably barely breaking 40 at race start.  Started out with gloves and arm warmers but stripped the arm warmers after Mile 1.  Kept it comfortable for the first half with a couple of other guys.  We stayed pretty close to a 6 mpm pace.  Pace seemed so smooth and comfortable.  Ditched the gloves at Mile 11 when I saw the family.  We went through the half at 1:18:47. 

At that point one of the guys started picking up the pace and I went with him a couple of miles only to back off and stick with the 6 mpm pace.  The 5:40's felt doable but I could tell the effort level had to increase to maintain pace.  I fell off his pace around mile 18/19 and there ended up in no-man's land.  Hit Mile 20 in 1:59:43.  I was suppose to see the family again at this point but they didn't get there in time.  They made it there at 2:00:30, so I barely missed them.  That would have been a good pick-me-up at that point but it wasn't meant to be.  I picked off a couple of runners and a couple passed me in the last few miles.  Held pace untill mile 22 then slowly faded.  Legs were feeling it and I just worked from one mile to the next.  For a while there I thought 2:3x was in my future.  In the end it came to 2:41:22.  This was my first time under 3 and bettered my PR by 33 minutes (ran TCM back in '97).  Finished 10OA and 2AG.

Milwaukee was a great course and had a good mix of crowd support.  Plenty of water/gatorade along the course.  I ended up taking 2 gu's, one at 45 minutes and the other at 1:40.  Took water early then switched to gatorade about an hour in.  Felt okay with the fueling and hydration.  Badgerland Striders and the race committee surely do a good job with this race.  Bag drop, runner area and post race refreshments were good.  They had Louie's Demise on tap from the Milwaukee Brewing Company.  Good stuff.  While I was in the runner area, I got interviewed by the local news company.  After that, I got my stuff, got a massage and had a beer (OK, a couple) while I waited for the rest of the family to come in.

Miles 1-7: 6:09, 5:55, 6:10, 6:03, 5:56, 6:04, 6:00 (Total: 42:19)
                            8-13:  6:00, 5:59, 6:03, 5:56, 5:55, 5:52 (Half: 1:18:47)
                            13-20: 5:47, 5:44, 5:53, 5:55, 6:02, 6:00, 6:09
                            21-26: 6:03, 6:27, 6:30, 6:41, 7:05, 7:23
                            0.2 - 1:32

1st half: 1:18:47

2nd half: 1:22:42

Feeling the growl again

spaniel -- 10/22 -- Des Plaines Trail 50-Mile -- 6:20:00

I dream of sub-6 and will go out at that pace....hell, I dream of sub-7 average but am forcing myself to try and not be too stupid on my first one given lack of decent conditioning...however given lack of experience and knowledge I must think that I will muck it up along the way somewhere.  So 6:20 it is.

DoppleBock

mber - Really nice!

I am not sure why, but I love Lakefront.  We had great weather last year too, but it can be a bitch - hot or headwind most the way. 

The course is pretty decent - Rural - then tree lined suburby - Its no big deal running on side of road later in the race if you are near the front ... I have heard a few complaints from mid-packers it gets a bit congested.

Badgerland Striders always have good beer at the end of a race ... Maybe that is what I love.

Congrats and recover well!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !