3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

100 Push Up Challenge (Read 1574 times)

Feeling the growl again

It's not really clear on the program when to do the exhaustion test, so I figured instead of losing another day or two, I'd do it the same day. That may be how it is supposed to be done, but I'm not sure.

The weeks with exhaustion tests are hard.  My read is you are supposed to have a rest day between everything.  So if you have a week that is 3 workouts + exhaustion test....Well, over time, you can't find a "Week" in a week every time...it will stretch out.  

I'm OK with that...It's BS quite frankly that any of us who are not already doing 70+ are going to get to 100 in 6 weeks.  

For Week 4, I'm now looking at D1 (Tues), D2 (Thur), D3 (Sa), so next exhaustion test on a Monday...sets me behind for Week 5.  Which I'll likely be repeating anyways...

I give this 6-7 weeks, then I will continue until I succeed....but I am going to then add on bench presses, which will retard my progress somewhat in the short term.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks, but you can still do 12 miles at a faster pace than my 5k PR and still call it an "easy" run.

So you weakened yourself to keep yourself from doing 100 the first time out and making us all look bad?  Wink

Nice, very nice....

That's more than "pretty good".  I started at 70, so I'd need to be doing around 140 now to be on the same track you're on. 

Maybe I didn't push myself hard enough on the initial test. Ever since spaniel called me out i've been pushing myself on the max sets heh Wink

MTA: It's not fair that you're going to win WG's million dollars. Or smiley face.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Whoa!  I will be repeating week 2.  Week 3 is beyond me today.

W2-D1-C1 

10,6,4,4 max-8

steph  

C-R

85 max after a normal workout? WTG TonyP! I've been fitting max tests between workout days to keep the flow. Seems to work but what do I know.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

85 max after a normal workout? WTG TonyP! I've been fitting max tests between workout days to keep the flow. Seems to work but what do I know.

+1 to TonyP!  I will be repeating Week 3 this week.  Didn't get to Day 3 last week so I'm behind.

Thanks C-R and mbehr.

I think I'll do my next exhaustion test on a separate day and see how it goes.

I did a google search about fast twitch vs. slow twitch for pushups and stumbled across this article.  It's incredible how many pushups some of these guys can do, but this story was pretty inspirational to me so I thought I'd post it.

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/ulysses.html

Feeling the growl again

Thanks, but you can still do 12 miles at a faster pace than my 5k PR and still call it an "easy" run.

Yes but running =/= pushups.  It takes some work to maintain that kind of upper body strength and gets respect from me....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

I did a google search about fast twitch vs. slow twitch for pushups and stumbled across this article.  It's incredible how many pushups some of these guys can do, but this story was pretty inspirational to me so I thought I'd post it.

Well...don't I feel like a weakling chump....wow...

Dang TonyP, impressive stuff.

W2-D3-C3...31 on the max.  Week 2 done, moving on to week 3 in a few days.

My neck is buttered from skiing (and I'm still off skiing today) so I'm in a holding zone with the push-ups, it sort of depends if I am able to move my neck with less pain (currently rotating both sides hurts quite a lot, as does lifting up and down)

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

WOW! Good read and it confirms my pathetic ability to do push-ups.

Week 4 Done

Max test 63, I guess could have possibly pushed for 2-3 more, but was happy to progress from 54 max 2 weeks ago.

Week 4 Done

Max test 63, I guess could have possibly pushed for 2-3 more, but was happy to progress from 54 max 2 weeks ago.

That's impressive.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I can't even begin to relate to 6,006 nonstop pushups, but what I can relate to is this...

"Conquerors and explorers who followed were also driven by this force that compelled them to unveil the unknown.

After all the seas were crossed and the land was explored, men invented new challenges to satisfy this compulsion. Some explored the polar regions, climbed mountains, and sailed across the oceans alone in small boats. Others were athletes who prepared their bodies and minds to new extremes."

And this:

"My greatest hope is that during my final battle I will be able to look back on my life and know in my heart that I struggled well."

WOW! Good read and it confirms my pathetic ability to do push-ups.