3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June Racing Thread (Read 1282 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You need to stop with all these pansy "three race in three day" things and come over for the Beer Mile and do the 3X5K races in 3 hours with us, then the Beer Mile in the afternoon.  Four races in ONE day.

You're insane.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

L Train

You're insane.

Says the guy who often logs 17 separate runs in one day.

Feeling the growl again

You're insane.

I once ran the 10K, 5K, and 4X400m relay in the same day in college, in that order.  I tied my PR (60.0) in the 400 with my relay split even though I was only about 7 minutes after going all-out in the 5K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A high school friend and I once went to an informal all-comers meet (high school format) and decided to "Jim Thorpe" it: do every event we could.  Old-school track, so ...110, 220, 440, 880, mile, two-mile, 4x440 relay (he ran a leg, I ran a leg, he ran a leg, I ran a leg), long jump, high jump.  They didn't have hurdles or field equipment (discus, pole, javelin) available, so we didn't injure ourselves trying to do those events.  Good times.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm envious of spaniel for having that insane triple nearby, and of Clive for getting  to do that fun 'do everything' track meet Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oops, guess I put my tri result in wrong thread, but really, it was more like a workout than a race. Except the run race w DW, which was quite a failure.

Friday's race:

Torch Run was a thrilling success - smashed my previous time - got 31:44 (for Garmin allegedly 5.28mi) - giving a Garmin pace of significantly faster than my 5mi PR last week (6:01 vs 6:13). Almost had a shot at winning, but couldn't catch the lead college kid.

Saturday's "race":

Well, that was fun. Slower splits than last year, but didn't really care. DW got tired of counting ppl to see my position out of the pool and just estimated - heh - but also I started in the last wave this year, so most people had a time advantage over me. Was going to take bike easy to rest up for run, but once out on the course, was too tempting to try to catch & pass ppl ahead of me, which I did some of - maybe passed 7 or so, and probably got passed by same number. (I also stop at all stop signs at taxiways & runways, which most ppl don't; I'm trying to set a good example out there.) Then hit the run, and was awfully fatigued, and just couldn't push hard enough to come  anywhere close to dropping DW, so instead of a race I just provided a hard tempo. So I offered her money back....

Chatted with a couple of weekenders who did it to accomplish the finish - one was just over hip surgery, and the other a month over heart surgery.

And accomplished my unstated but most reliable goal - got sunburned again. I am something like 3/3 or 5/5 at getting sunburned at local tris. True genius shows through.

5 June - Christchurch Half Marathon Goal is 1.30 (if I keep trying one day I will get there)

It turns out if I keep trying I really will get there. 1.29.47 12th lady Feeling more than a little overwhelmed right now. I feel like I've been working for this for ages!
                  It turns out if I keep trying I really will get there. 1.29.47 12th lady Feeling more than a little overwhelmed right now. I feel like I've been working for this for ages!

Get out of here!  Awesome job Mandy and well deserved.  We all knew it was a matter of time you'd break that 1:30 barrier.  Be proud and enjoy it!

TMorin

TMorin --  6/5 -- Rhody 5K, Lincoln, RI. -- <18:00 or try to beat BadDawg if he shows up.

Shaved a few more seconds off the PR but came in over 18 at 18:03. Technically I finished ahead of BadDawg but he has been sick and ran with his son so it doesn't really count.

I also want to point out that I was 103rd out of 347 men in this 5K. Last week I ran a 10 miler in chicago and finished 83rd out of 12313 finishers. I just find this rediculous.

L Train

I also want to point out that I was 103rd out of 347 men in this 5K.

That is pretty incredible. 

Shaved a few more seconds off the PR but came in over 18 at 18:03. Technically I finished ahead of BadDawg but he has been sick and ran with his son so it doesn't really count.

I also want to point out that I was 103rd out of 347 men in this 5K. Last week I ran a 10 miler in chicago and finished 83rd out of 12313 finishers. I just find this rediculous.

On Monday, Reno Stirrat told me he was going to that race. And Said something like, if you run a 17:00, you'll be lucky to be in the top 80.

Nice running, Tim.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Oops, guess I put my tri result in wrong thread, but really, it was more like a workout than a race. Except the run race w DW, which was quite a failure.

Friday's race:

Torch Run was a thrilling success - smashed my previous time - got 31:44 (for Garmin allegedly 5.28mi) - giving a Garmin pace of significantly faster than my 5mi PR last week (6:01 vs 6:13). Almost had a shot at winning, but couldn't catch the lead college kid.

Saturday's "race":

Well, that was fun. Slower splits than last year, but didn't really care. DW got tired of counting ppl to see my position out of the pool and just estimated - heh - but also I started in the last wave this year, so most people had a time advantage over me. Was going to take bike easy to rest up for run, but once out on the course, was too tempting to try to catch & pass ppl ahead of me, which I did some of - maybe passed 7 or so, and probably got passed by same number. (I also stop at all stop signs at taxiways & runways, which most ppl don't; I'm trying to set a good example out there.) Then hit the run, and was awfully fatigued, and just couldn't push hard enough to come  anywhere close to dropping DW, so instead of a race I just provided a hard tempo. So I offered her money back....

Chatted with a couple of weekenders who did it to accomplish the finish - one was just over hip surgery, and the other a month over heart surgery.

And accomplished my unstated but most reliable goal - got sunburned again. I am something like 3/3 or 5/5 at getting sunburned at local tris. True genius shows through.

Congrats again on the Torch Run.

Ach!!!

NaderAlfie -- June 5 -- NJ Trail Series #4, 10 miles -- Top 10.

20th

Flew forward, but face did not touch any flowers.

Friday's race:

Saturday's "race":

AP - looks like yet another nice weekend of racing for you.  Nice job on both.  What distance was the Torch Run suppose to be?  You had 5.28?  Hearing about the tri stuff almost makes me want to do another.  I always get that itch when I hear the buzz of it and spend a couple of days on the bike.  Had that in the last week.  Thankfully that craziness has passed and I'll just settle for running.  Don't mind swimming but have no desire to spend the time away from running to swim...

I look my best blurry!

You need to stop with all these pansy "three race in three day" things and come over for the Beer Mile and do the 3X5K races in 3 hours with us, then the Beer Mile in the afternoon.  Four races in ONE day.

WHAT?  Did I agree to this?  I'm still trying to find a gal pal to join me.  You boys scare me.  Anyone?  Anyone?