3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June Racing Thread (Read 1282 times)

Kristen is a rockstar.

L Train

That is fantastic.  Do you remember how you felt during each of the laps?

Probably really fresh, cool and calm. 

I look my best blurry!

That is fantastic.  Do you remember how you felt during each of the laps?

First lap I felt nervous. I was trying to find a good spot close to the inside. I think there were 18 people in my heat. Ugh. But after the first 200 I was inside and feeling good. I was pushing but afraid to push too hard. Second lap I was pretty comfortable. I passed 3 guys in a group right after a turn and someone growled at me, I swear!!! That made me Smile. The third lap I just felt like I needed to keep doing what I was doing. The last lapand a half I felt like I had something left and started to get up on my toes.. I passed another couple of guys after the turn and then was passed in the last 50 by 2 young guys. That was the hardest push at the finish I ever had. I felt a little breathless but good. I didn't notice my splits. I wore my Garmin but haven't downloaded it yet.

Nice little report; thank you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DoppleBock

Congrats on the great race

BTW - I am a growler 

Second lap I was pretty comfortable. I passed 3 guys in a group right after a turn and someone growled at me, I swear!!! That made me Smile.  

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

First lap I felt nervous. I was trying to find a good spot close to the inside. I think there were 18 people in my heat. Ugh. But after the first 200 I was inside and feeling good. I was pushing but afraid to push too hard. Second lap I was pretty comfortable. I passed 3 guys in a group right after a turn and someone growled at me, I swear!!! That made me Smile. The third lap I just felt like I needed to keep doing what I was doing. The last lapand a half I felt like I had something left and started to get up on my toes.. I passed another couple of guys after the turn and then was passed in the last 50 by 2 young guys. That was the hardest push at the finish I ever had. I felt a little breathless but good. I didn't notice my splits. I wore my Garmin but haven't downloaded it yet.

You ran a kickass mile and were not grimacing in pain and hurting like hell.....we all hate you.

Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Congrats Kirsten - that is awesome!!  I've only done a couple of track races and I swear every time I've thought I was going to die!

I look my best blurry!

Congrats Kirsten - that is awesome!!  I've only done a couple of track races and I swear every time I've thought I was going to die!

Hmmm... Maybe I wasn't doing it right. ??? I swear it was fun. Part of the fun was there is a 14 yo girl that wins all of the middle school track meets. She comes with an entourage that massages her and stretches her before the races. It's kind of funny. She is my daughter's nemesis. Lol! Anyway, I pulled away from her within the first 200m and that was that. My daughter wasn't there but I knew she would be THRILLED! Within a few seconds I texted her and told her that I beat her. My usually sweet daughter text me back and said "Omg!!! Punch her in da face & be all like "YEAHHH! DAZ RIGHT!" I think she might be a little too competitive.

Feeling the growl again

. My usually sweet daughter text me back and said "Omg!!! Punch her in da face & be all like "YEAHHH! DAZ RIGHT!" I think she might be a little too competitive.

Sounds like the apple falls close to the tree, eh?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I look my best blurry!

Sounds like the apple falls close to the tree, eh?

I would never SAY that!
                        Your daughter sounds like me at 14. Wait..me now. Oh, and what spaniel said about us all hating you Wink

kcam

Nice job on that mile wannabe.  We had a road mile last Sunday (attended by fast club age-groupers) and you would have taken 5th with that time in 40-49 and 1st in 45-49.  Here's my track story from this morning:

Today was 3000 / 1500 / 800 day at the club.  I ran the 3000 skipped the 1500 and ran the 800.  None of the fast runners ran the 3 (they ran the 1500) so I found myself leading the 3000 from the start and held to the end.  Not a good time for me (11:02) but this girl was breathing down my neck the whole race.  I was able to put a little distance on her the last 300m and held her off.  So then we skip the 1500 and line up for the 8 and there she is right next to me at the start (waterfall start).  We took off and a couple high school kids immediately shot out to take big leads on the old guys and gals.  Next two are me and this girl.  She's right behind me the entire way.  On the last turn she was close enough to me to that I could see her shadow and I knew I was in trouble.  Came out of the turn and I go into my 'sprint' (LOL) and she smoothly goes past me and beats me by 1.1 second.  Damm, talk about getting chicked in a most humiliating way - outkicked on the track in the last 100!  Anyway, talking to her later she tells me she ran in college for Cal Poly and had a PR of 2:09 for the 800.  Now I'm not feeling so bad as I watched the NCAA women's 800 today which was won in 2:02.   Apparently, she's coming back to racing in a new age group - 40-45. 

All I can say is that the track can be very humbling.  Next time I'll have to try to get a bigger lead on her so she can't outkick me.

PS - I wasn't sure whether to write 'girl', 'lady', 'female' in the above paragraph.  No disrespect meant by using 'girl'.  Whatever, she kicked my a$$.

I look my best blurry!

Nice job on that mile wannabe.  We had a road mile last Sunday (attended by fast club age-groupers) and you would have taken 5th with that time in 40-49 and 1st in 45-49.  Here's my track story from this morning:

Well there you have it! I'm still a wannabe. 5th in the AG? Bleck! I need to get to work.

Today was 3000 / 1500 / 800 day at the club.  I ran the 3000 skipped the 1500 and ran the 800.  None of the fast runners ran the 3 (they ran the 1500) so I found myself leading the 3000 from the start and held to the end.  Not a good time for me (11:02) but this girl was breathing down my neck the whole race.  I was able to put a little distance on her the last 300m and held her off.  So then we skip the 1500 and line up for the 8 and there she is right next to me at the start (waterfall start).  We took off and a couple high school kids immediately shot out to take big leads on the old guys and gals.  Next two are me and this girl.  She's right behind me the entire way.  On the last turn she was close enough to me to that I could see her shadow and I knew I was in trouble.  Came out of the turn and I go into my 'sprint' (LOL) and she smoothly goes past me and beats me by 1.1 second.  Damm, talk about getting chicked in a most humiliating way - outkicked on the track in the last 100!  Anyway, talking to her later she tells me she ran in college for Cal Poly and had a PR of 2:09 for the 800.  Now I'm not feeling so bad as I watched the NCAA women's 800 today which was won in 2:02.   Apparently, she's coming back to racing in a new age group - 40-45. 

All I can say is that the track can be very humbling.  Next time I'll have to try to get a bigger lead on her so she can't outkick me.

PS - I wasn't sure whether to write 'girl', 'lady', 'female' in the above paragraph.  No disrespect meant by using 'girl'.  Whatever, she kicked my a$$.

MrH

I would never SAY that!

But using your elbows are OK. During the race, anyway. Your daughter would approve.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

rabutler -- 6/14 -- Tuesday Night Trail Series 5K, Town Run Park, Indianapolis, IN --  <34:00

This is my first trail race, so I'll probably take it slow and just try not to face plant.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.