3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June Racing Thread (Read 1282 times)

Looks like the big horse got back up.  You continue to impress and inspire DB. Great job! 

I was very happy with my execution

Mile #1 - Usually I run what I think is MP and run too fast - I actually ran mile # 1 in 7:05 (6:59 gun) so I lost 20 seconds running relaxed.  after that I brought pace in line and just ran to the course - One of those days where I missed many splits, I was just working.

By mile # 10 I settled in with a pack of 4 - They were 3-5 seconds faster than I was and so I got to run uncomfortably hard (Perfect).  On 3 occassions they had gapped me by 20 - 40 feet and I had to HTFU and close the gap up quickly, because once they would have been gone, I would have slowed a bit.

We broke up @ mile 20 - 2 had went ahead and the 2 I was working with were happy to settle in behind someone who was running slower.

Last 3 miles I failed to take it to the highest pain plateau or I would have went out and attacked the 2 that were about 1/8-1/4 mile ahead.  Still I did not die, I just didn't take it to that dizzy, tunnel vision - max pain - S&M goodness level.

22 6:39

23 6:40

24 6:47

25 & 26 was a 13:29

.2 = 1:19

If I had been tougher it would have been

24 6:35

25 & 26 12:55

.2 = 1:10

So between mile #1 and being a little soft at the end - About 1 mile of potential left on the course.  My splits between 10k-13.1 were a little soft also (Pre picking up my wrecking crew) - So maybe another 30 seconds.

But if I can run a marathon and think I left 1-2 minutes total from perfection on the course - A good day indeed.

Sara - I can't even begin to relate to a hundred mile run, so needless to say, I'm incredibly impressed.  It's people like you that I refer to when my mother tells me she thinks a marathon is too long. LOL!  Great job toughing it out. Congratulations!

Thanks DB! 25:13 was my time. Pretty happy with that considering how crappy I felt for much of it. From my log...

This is what I can remember so far... Bee sting at mile 10. Nausea from 18-30.  Blisters bad by mile 50... thought I would have to drop, but I thought that sounded like a lame excuse. Gorgeous sunset running through a meadow between ridges, complete with deer and rabbits hanging out along the trail. I think I was on sub-24 pace until mile 60-ish, maybe longer. I slowed down a lot at night, mostly because the trails were super rocky, but also because I got lazy. I was able to eat solid food and actually got sick of gels/blocks which I didn't expect. I wasn't freaked out at all running alone at night, which really surprised me. It was actually kind of enjoyable.

At some point, I do believe that I told myself I was a honey badger and that I just didn't give a shit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg). I'm sure that helped. Much of the race I felt like I was Lamaze breathing just to get enough air. I had a hard time managing my heart-rate/breathing, I think due to the altitude/dust. Most of the race was above 4k and a lot of it above 5k feet. Not very high, but for a sea-level dweller it was noticeable. I definitely got passed by people, but in the end I ended up passing most of them back. Most seemed surprised I was out there alone.

Nausea again from 80 to the finish. Not fun. Didn't eat anything for the last three hours and it was pretty much a death march for the last 10 miles. I could hardly run anything towards the end which was really disappointing, but everyone around me was in the same kind of shape. My last 100 miler I was able to run a lot stronger at the end. Other than a couple nasty climbs the course seemed really runnable. I ran a lot more in the first 30 miles than I expected.

Loved the course and the RD/volunteers did an impeccable job. Good swag too! I highly recommend. Flight home last night was not fun, but actually feeling ok today.

Feeling the growl again

Hendricks County Fun Run 5K #3...6/22.....16:40, because my running has sucked and I am fat.

16:33.  I would bet $100 the course was short (I don't get twisted about this in a free fun run that I am just happy someone bothered to put on).  5K's first mile was a loop around the road....which must have happened to be EXACTLY a mile as they used the same start/finish line...and two other loops on established paths happened to add up to EXACTLY 5000m using the same line.  Wink

Anyways, the first mile split was 5:03 and I've been around the block to know I did not run any 5:03.  However it was a very nice race and I am very happy to find this weekly series locally so close is good enough in this case.  This is the first time I believe I've ever hit a goal I published on this site so I will take it.

Did not feel good from the get-go, not surprising given my lack of any real training in a long time.  Basically a solid tempo effort with a good boost the last couple hundred yards to make sure I hit the goal time.

I got to visit with rabutler for awhile afterwards, so that was a nice bonus.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This is the first time I believe I've ever hit a goal I published on this site so I will take it.

Dude, nice job.  Try again on your statement...

spaniel -- 2/11 -- Indy Mini Prep Racing Series, Indianapolis IN - 16:20                                  16:17, 1 OA

Feeling the growl again

spaniel -- 2/11 -- Indy Mini Prep Racing Series, Indianapolis IN - 16:20                                  16:17, 1 OA

I forgot about that one...probably because I really wanted to go faster Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

6/25/2011

River Rat 5k

Little Falls MN

Goal = PR with a sub 22:26

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

CliveF -- June 25 -- Upgrade 5k (Charlotte NC) -- 22min, not be injured

May as well post it now:

DNS.  The tendon still isn't good enough that I'm willing to race on it, especially when the only purpose of the race was to test my fitness and injury status.

Disapprove

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

May as well post it now:

DNS.  The tendon still isn't good enough that I'm willing to race on it, especially when the only purpose of the race was to test my fitness and injury status.

Disapprove

So sorry to hear this...heal up...

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I ran a blazing 18:38 on the 1 mile course at the Hendricks County Fun Run Big grin

The fun runs are put on by the county parks and usually draw a pretty good crowd. My 11 yr old daughter suddenly decided she wanted to go run with me and I got to meet spaniel. Next weeks run is at the new Soldalis Nature Park in Plainfield.

Oh, BTW spaniel, that trail run I did on 6/14 was a 5K. I wish I had a 10K time like that.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Oh, BTW spaniel, that trail run I did on 6/14 was a 5K. I wish I had a 10K time like that.

Fixed....yeah, I wish I had a 30:19 10K too!!

Not sure I will make Plainfield next week, that's a hike and it will be my first night back home after a couple days on the road.

May as well post it now:

Disapprove

Get better, Clive.  Smart move.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SUH-weet!!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

6/25/2011

River Rat 5k

Little Falls MN

Goal = PR with a sub 22:26

23:44

Big time failure. I walked 5 times in mile 3. I have no idea WTF is wrong, but I have ZERO stamina. Damn foot pod is way off when I'm running fast (as if 7:00 min mile is fast) and I can't count on the pace at all. The course was certified and my Garmin measured 3.29. I think I'm done racing till October

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

23:44

Big time failure. I walked 5 times in mile 3. I have no idea WTF is wrong, but I have ZERO stamina. Damn foot pod is way off when I'm running fast (as if 7:00 min mile is fast) and I can't count on the pace at all. The course was certified and my Garmin measured 3.29. I think I'm done racing till October

Sorry you had a bad race....if it was hot like it is for most of us this time of year, it's hard to hit them well right now.  A few months to recharge the competitive spirit is not necessarily a bad thing...

Sorry you had a bad race....if it was hot like it is for most of us this time of year, it's hard to hit them well right now.  A few months to recharge the competitive spirit is not necessarily a bad thing...

My daughter was diagnosed with Mono this spring at the start of track season (early March?) and I started to feel lathargic, tired, fatigued about mid-April.

I think I read that you had mono earlier this spring. Did you feel like you ran out of oxygen quickly at a relatively slow pace when you ran and have a higher then normal HR? What was runninng with mono like for you, symptom and effects on workouts wise?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life