3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No coca cola at the finish line of my marathon today. Nothing sweet at all. In fact the choices were (1) water and (2) beer. Geez. Stupid short races. They did have fabulous food, but I was faint (having only beer to drink combined with my low tolerance probably contributed); happily the nurses brought me a coke when they came to look at me. But that made me nostalgic for those crazy ultra races.

To the topic, I'm a newbie to ultras (only one 50K & one 50M) but I like doing them in relaxed manner, with plenty of time in aid stations -- from my only 2 experiences so far. But now that I realize "more time in aid stations" = "more time out in the dark later", I start to see the tradeoffs.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

1. Fueling and hydration. 2. Take care of your feet. 3. Positive attitude.

Hydration no problem.  I can figure that out.  Fueling, I am a complete newb.  I would need to learn.

I can figure out how to take care of my feet.  I have saved myself and others from significant amounts of pain and difficulty in the mountains by knowing how to keep a small foot problem from turning into a big one.

Positive attitude, well, I don't know if it is positive but I am probably a liability to myself as I would likely push forward until they had to pull or carry me off the course.  I've done some pretty tough shit and not quit.

The whole quad falling apart thing worries me.  I've never run much over 3 hrs.  I think I would need to pick a day and just run 6-7 hrs for the hell of it, just to have some idea what I'm up for.

What's up in the fall somewhere near the midwest where doing well would give something significant?  Qualifying for something bigger or something.  I would not do much more than a 50K just to do one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obsessor

Hydration no problem.  I can figure that out.  Fueling, I am a complete newb.  I would need to learn.

I can figure out how to take care of my feet.  I have saved myself and others from significant amounts of pain and difficulty in the mountains by knowing how to keep a small foot problem from turning into a big one.

Positive attitude, well, I don't know if it is positive but I am probably a liability to myself as I would likely push forward until they had to pull or carry me off the course.  I've done some pretty tough shit and not quit.

The whole quad falling apart thing worries me.  I've never run much over 3 hrs.  I think I would need to pick a day and just run 6-7 hrs for the hell of it, just to have some idea what I'm up for.

What's up in the fall somewhere near the midwest where doing well would give something significant?  Qualifying for something bigger or something.  I would not do much more than a 50K just to do one.

I thought I had Hydration figured out. In my recent 6 hour race I took only gels and sports drink. Weather was upper 40's? I ended up with too much sodium. Post race weight was higher than pre-race. I needed, likely, just water and gels. Less sodium. Perhaps a few more calories. Last hour was horrible. I had been used to running in hotter weather, and so I over hydrated, and had too much sodium.

The quad meltdown is real. Stair machine is one strategy? Time on the feet. Run-walk overnighter? I can tell you my quads were toast after 6 hours on the flat, but also, after I sat down and ate for about an hour, I could walk no problem. I could barely stand right after the race was over. I'm confident I could train well past that, though. I hadn't run much more than 15 miles in two 

I think, what we are looking for is a road 100k. There are very few of them. Run fast, go to the World Cup. I agree - not worth running one without thinking you can win. Too much effort and pain.

Things like western states and leadville, though, you have to admit are simply "an experience" no matter what happens.

I am planning (very tentative) on the "24 the hard way" next year. Likely only 12 hours though. Might do something funny there, though, if I can get the RD on board. (and I think I can.) LIke - provide a certified split at 100k and 100mi, so we could qualify for things. 

Ostrich runner

Talking to some of my friends who did their first 100s last year, picking the right time of year to run one is a big consideration.  Running one in the fall means a summer with 40 mile slow runs through the heat and bugs.  Still, fall seems a more natural time for me.  I'm not sure about qualifying for anything, but if you're worried about all that you should just pick one you're not sure you can handle the buckle cutoff time.  Right now we're tossing around a few ideas including Kettle Moraine, Collegiate Peaks 50, and a Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim vacation.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Hawt and sexy

My quads and hip flexors just fie after 28 miles or so. I guess my legs just don't feel the need to go beyond marathon distance regardless of pace. But there is that trail thing. I train mostly on roads and don't need to lift my legs up often to get over random debris. Let's face it, trail running is all about getting over random debris. If you don't then you will kiss the ground. I really think that a lack of trail running is my downfall in ultras.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My upper legs and groin and rear were more sore (maybe even a lot more sore) today late during and after my marathon, than several weeks ago at my debut 50M.

I suppose the difference is that I went fast at the beginning of the marathon (then slowed down), and that it was maybe 50+% pavement, whereas the 50M was almost all trail and I was going very slowly and also walking uphills.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

obsessor

Talking to some of my friends who did their first 100s last year, picking the right time of year to run one is a big consideration.  Running one in the fall means a summer with 40 mile slow runs through the heat and bugs.  Still, fall seems a more natural time for me.  

Yes.

Feeling the growl again

Where is DB in all this talk???  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

obsessor

out running?

C-R

Still hurt from a post in Swamp. Didn't sound happy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Still hurt from a post in Swamp. Didn't sound happy.

I saw that.  I was hoping he'd at least hold out here....

I am not sure if it is an ultra tradition, or what, but the information is all so sketchy that it is unbelievable. I hope we can share some information here.

iRunfar has the same problem:

Every year we here at iRunfar repeatedly stuggle to find the schedule of USATF MUT (that’s Mountain/Ultra/Trail) national championship races. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Carl A

I blame Carl.

That's OK, Amanda. I blame me too.

Guilt is a merciless angel.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I did a 30 mile night run on the course before my 100 miler. This was way helpful. I got a taste of the tiredness and of the challenges of technical trail running at night. I lucked out with fueling... sure I had practiced but a lot of times that doesn't seem to matter. I ate 90% gels/blocks and seemed to do ok. I always had one bottle of water and one of an electrolyte drink. I was worried about hydration since I had some swelling issues at other races, but this time it worked out ok. I didn't pee for 50 miles which was concerning, but as soon as the sun went down that issue went away. I would have done better if I knew a think or two about foot care. I had a blister we tried to duct tape and the tape went too far into my arch causing my foot to bruise and ache for 40 miles.

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Ostrich runner

As of right now, I'm going to show up for HUFF and run...we'll see how far.  

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum