3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

I am all eyes here, planning to do my first ultra next year, Shadow of the Giants 50K in Fish Camp, CA. I'm more intimidated by the trail than the distance, since 99.9% of my running is on flat roads.

Ex runner

Ostrich runner

CR, feel free to bring extra beer on Saturday.  If I bitch out after one or two laps I'll have some real work to do.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

You drop early and no beer for you. I have been known as the Beer Nazi ala Seinfeld.

Wrigley, Jeff and Another One are planning to run. Most likely much faster than you or I so I will hide some brew to make sure we at least have something. Spaniel's source in Ft. Wayne says ligh snow pack right now but cold.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

I'm planning on going as slowly as I can while staying warm.  I like Spaten Optimator after races.

Kalsarikännit

<html> <p$1$2$3$4$5$6> 

If I bitch out after one or two laps

<p$1$2$3$4$5$6> 

The bitch will be running all three laps on Saturday.

</p$1$2$3$4$5$6></p$1$2$3$4$5$6></html>

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Ostrich runner

I might need to tie reigns to your pigtails if you whoop my ass as badly as you did in Yellowwood.  

Ostrich runner

Is it wise to train for ultras? I'm hoping not.  It's probably better to do them on a whim shortly after DNFing a shorter race...right?

C-R

Wish in one hand and crap in the other. Has always worked for me.

Spaten. Nice choice.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

Is it wise to train for ultras? I'm hoping not.  It's probably better to do them on a whim shortly after DNFing a shorter race...right?

That's my plan anyways.

Three inches on the ground in Ft Wayne.  I checked just for you guys.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

I am hoping to start running again next year - I can't see anything happening until then. Very sad.

DoppleBock

I am curious how training like mine translates into an ultra.  Probably poorly, would be my guess.  So if I don't train for ultras and I don't like the thought of running ultras, perhaps my first one should be something completely stupid....like trying to qualify for the 24hr championships or something.  What is going on next fall?

Why not

I ran my 1st 50 mile on a whim - hurt a lot, but I paced, ate and hydrated  pretty good, so marathon endurance was plenty to run a good race.

2 years later I had been injured, so I would not be running any fast marathons that spring - So I ran another 50 miler for fun - Again similar results - I had went from very little running for 6 months to the 50 miler in 10 weeks.  Good pacing - eating - drinking - another good result.  4 weeks later I tried my 1st 24 hour race - I did not feel well and had the squirts - 7 times in the 1st 7 laps (2.4 mile laps) - I still forced food and drink at a good clip and pace was conservative - But by the 6th hour I would run slow until I was ready to pass out and then walk until I could run.  THis went on the next 18 hours.  I was not dehydrated - low on sodium - just sick.  Results was 1st OA - This taught me about what we can force our bodies to do.

Why not a 24 hour?  One key to a 24 hour is having a crew.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Where is DB in all this talk???  

Mentally and physically broken

I was injured and ran Monkey - Now I am broken.

Not being able to run - I have lost it mentally - Last week I tried to drink the anxiety away - It did not work.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

Spaniel - you are more than capable of running good ultras. Relatively high volume and a few long runs are all that is needed. Don't need anything silly. I have run some good races with no long runs over 24 mi!

Feeling the growl again

Mentally and physically broken

I was injured and ran Monkey - Now I am broken.

Not being able to run - I have lost it mentally - Last week I tried to drink the anxiety away - It did not work.

Just think of it as cross-training for the beer mile. 

Hang in there.  You will recover and train again.  It is hard but the comeback is easier if you keep focus on the comeback and hold the weight down.  When I started again last year I had over 10lbs to lose, which for me was a lot and that took a lot of my energy.  Now I am only 3-4 lbs over the upper end of my ideal range starting this cycle so it is much easier - both physically and mentally.

I would run an ultra, including a 100-miler or a 24hr.  I just need a big enough carrot.  Somebody find me a carrot.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

There's a 24 hour run in South Bend. Not far away and I would be happy to crew.

Hang in there DB. I know this isn't some mamby pamby blow sunshine up your skirt place but use that same mental toughness that had you finish the WC at such a fast pace to see you through this dark stage.

My guess (based on my experience with injury comebacks) you will come out very hungry and with a big chip on your shoulder. That leads to good things.