3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Somebody find me a carrot.

Feeling the growl again

Bad pic insert....better be PG...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

There's a 24 hour run in South Bend. Not far away and I would be happy to crew.

When, and what is the reward?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Purdey

Self anointed title

When, and what is the reward?

Rewards in ultra running are few and far between. Financial reward does not exist. I would suggest that for you Andy, the reward should be a place on the US 24hr team. That would light my fire.

That would be awesome. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Rewards in ultra running are few and far between. Financial reward does not exist. I would suggest that for you Andy, the reward should be a place on the US 24hr team. That would light my fire.

So somebody tell me how to do it.  That would almost make up for the crushing defeat of not making the Olympic Trials after 4 years of trying.

Would be hella cool. 

Mentally and physically broken

I was injured and ran Monkey - Now I am broken.

Not being able to run - I have lost it mentally - Last week I tried to drink the anxiety away - It did not work.

You have been here before and you have come out strong.  You're body will heal and your mind will be strong. 

obsessor

I'm planning on going as slowly as I can while staying warm.  I like Spaten Optimator after races.

Good stuff, that. Close your mind and set out on your third loop. You won't really die, you'll just think you will.

Purdey

Self anointed title

So somebody tell me how to do it.  That would almost make up for the crushing defeat of not making the Olympic Trials after 4 years of trying.

Consistent volume. Build up races: 50k, 50 mi, 100k, 100 mi then the big one. Of course, you don't have to do all of those build up races. But at least a couple would be a good idea. DB is much better placed to advise than I am - I haven't actually run a decent 24 yet.

obsessor

Spaniel - you are more than capable of running good ultras. Relatively high volume and a few long runs are all that is needed. Don't need anything silly. I have run some good races with no long runs over 24 mi!

I ran the 6 hour race (46.6 miles, 1st OA) on really poor training for the prior two months. 19 mile long run was by far the longest.

Purdey

Self anointed title

You might need more than that in August.... I'm planning to make you work hard. Wink

The King of Beasts

You might need more than that in August.... I'm planning to make you work hard. Wink

thats cute.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Is it too late for Spaniel to sign up for Leadville?

Feeling the growl again

Is it too late for Spaniel to sign up for Leadville?

No Leadville for me.  I'm already traveling for Boston alone, and with the young family it's too much.  I travel a lot for work already.

If I were trying for a national team I think I would be willing to ask my wife to put up with my running again.

I would NOT be working up to the distance via races.  Maybe one or two very long training runs.  I am not an ultra runner and will not be dedicating a lot of time to it.  I would just be willing to put it on the line once and see how I do on current training and guts alone.