3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February Racing Thread (Read 1309 times)

Spaniel - great job! I kept thinking.. 5:43s and a 39 min 10K, something doesn't sound right. Then I realized it was a 7 mile race. Congrats on the win!

Pam - congrats again on the sub-22 and PR! Sounds like you guys got the exact weather we had for our race on Sat. 

RA - congrats! It's a good thing to beat your goals.  I tend to do the opposite of sandbag, which means I think I'm a lot faster than I really am. LOL!

CR - nice racing. Cold hurts! I'm with you on the weight loss.. I could lose at least 5 myself.

Nader - good job, though 20 flat isn't what you wanted, I'd sure take it!

CliveF -- Valentines Day Massacre Marathon Relay (Greensboro NC)(4x1.6-mile legs as part of 4-person team) -- Goals: (A) average 6:45 pace for my four legs; (B) average sub-7 for them.

Mission accomplished!  According to the official results, I averaged 6:44 pace for my four legs.  Not appearing on that sheet is that I had a great time -- I haven't been part of a team since Reagan first term!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

3k- SJU Alumni Meet (9:59.09) 

I ran a pretty even pace the whole time.  I was running and I kept thinking this feels pretty good...I can pick up the pace.  I felt like I was going faster and faster...but my splits kept coming out even.  So, evidently Marathon training does not do much for 3k training if you don't have any faster gears.  Guess I need to start getting in some speed work here and there to get ready for the summer circuit with my team....On the plus side training for Grandma's Marathon is going well.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k: 16:21 BK5k (May)

Mission accomplished!  According to the official results, I averaged 6:44 pace for my four legs.  Not appearing on that sheet is that I had a great time -- I haven't been part of a team since Reagan first term!

Great racing everyone.  

Rocken, you are just rocken!

Spaniel, must feel nice to take the win in your jogging shoes.  

ra, let's see that sub-21 (sandbagger!) 

Tony way to take top ten.  It's tough to hit aggressive time goals this time of year. 

C-R, it's a rust-buster. You obviously have the right thinking, going forward. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Great racing everyone.  

Rocken, you are just rocken!

ra, let's see that sub-21 (sandbagger!) 

Tony way to take top ten.  It's tough to hit aggressive time goals this time of year. 

C-R, it's a rust-buster. You obviously have the right thinking, going forward. 

Thanks Nader. 

Apparently I was a few seconds late  starting my  Garmin yesterday.  My official time is 23:23. Gotta laugh cause the month before I did 22:22. Hmmmm maybe I should shoot for 21:21 next month? lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sub-21 next month (or so). Smile

Surprised you haven't been called out on this one.  You put Spaniel and jogging in the same sentence...

Feeling the growl again

Surprised you haven't been called out on this one.  You put Spaniel and jogging in the same sentence...

It kind of felt like it for the first few miles....I rarely ever do even workouts at that speed in trainers, the footstrike in flats is totally different.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Today was a solid 15.5 with 11 at marathon pace. If I'm mostly recovered by Saturday and it's not too cold, I think I've got a shot at breaking the 1:20:00 barrier.

That would be awesome. 

Feeling the growl again

Today was a solid 15.5 with 11 at marathon pace. If I'm mostly recovered by Saturday and it's not too cold, I think I've got a shot at breaking the 1:20:00 barrier.

Cold is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Take a good warmup, believe in your training and I am sure you will do it.  You can throw on a layer to stay warm in the cold, it's hot that you can't do anything about.  I thought we'd freeze racing last weekend but once past the first 1/4 mile it did not matter.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Thanks Tony!!

GOOD LUCK and ROCK IT this weekend AMC!!!!

Ok I'm a little pissed though it's minor so I really shouldn't be. The race website has my results as 22:00 gun time 22:02 though the timing company has my chip time at 21:58

https://runtheday.com/newresults/raceresults-current.php

I know this is minor but do I still consider it a sub 22 due to what Garmin AND timing said or do I just suck it up and consider it a 22 since that's the official time on the race website?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

I know this is minor but do I still consider it a sub 22 due to what Garmin AND timing said or do I just suck it up and consider it a 22 since that's the official time on the race website?

Unless you are setting an official record somewhere, why would you NOT use chip time?  Heck, it's your time, if you trust what you did with your watch why not use that?  The only times I've been locked into using what was on a website is when using it as time verification to get into Boston or the elite group of a race.

I'm not sure why being on a website should make it more legitimate.  Heck, several years ago the Chicago Marathon adjusted the times of several elite runners belonging to teams connected with the race administration down by several seconds to get those runners under the A and B trials standards, without adjusting the times of any other runners around them.  If it differs from the chip time who knows why.

Prince of Fatness

That's easy.  What you do is find another 5K and erase the doubt.

See you in March.

Not at it at all.