3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

So who is top three?

Rupp might have the best chance.

Then you could put Meb, Ritz, Chelanga and Puskedra in a blender for the other spots.

I feel kind of bad for Jared Ward. In June he seemed headed for the Olympics. Now, it seems like a long shot.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Based on raw speed, Rupp has an edge.  But how he handles the last 10K is a big variable.

One cannot ever discount a healthy Ritz (if he is indeed healthy).

Meb has proven over and over that while he is no longer as fast as he once was, he is a tactical master.

I can't say I've followed the others closely enough to make a good guess.  I think part of it will come down to whether the big horses go for the win early and push a fast pace, or knowing they will almost certainly make the team, hold off before duking it out later in the race.

If I were Rupp, I'd sit back and let someone else run the first 2/3 of the race.  If I were Ritz, I'd want it to be an honest race early to burn the finishing speed out of Rupp.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

In case you like indoor, sub 4s and HS runners... Drew Hunter..

kcam

Wow!  Thanks for posting that link.

Pretty good blog by Tyler Pennel... another guy in that blender for the top three this Saturday.

did you say you liked the last one?

Hunter liked it so much.. he did it again. 3:57.81.. not bad.

Wow!  Thanks for posting that link.

Feeling the growl again

did you say you liked the last one?

Hunter liked it so much.. he did it again. 3:57.81.. not bad.

Not bad…for being sick!

Sick?? How about a 350 mile sick..

Centro ran a few of those curves on the outside of lane 1 or in lane 2. And Willis.. good lord.. not bad for an old man.

Feeling the growl again

Sick?? How about a 350 mile sick..

Centro ran a few of those curves on the outside of lane 1 or in lane 2. And Willis.. good lord.. not bad for an old man.

Yeah….just noting how he claimed to be under the weather.  Definitely a double meaning to "sick" there.

And Willis…yeah, I'm in great admiration as he was at Michigan when I was at Michigan and is still performing at the highest level.  True, he was an undergrad and I was in grad school.

Speaking of the maize and blue... I just finished reading Sub-4 (Chris Lear). It made me wonder if Webb would have been a better (more successful) 5k guy. Sort of like Ryan Hill. He was a miler in college but has moved up since graduating. He was in a great race last weekend (fast-forward to the 5:00 mark in the race).

And Willis…yeah, I'm in great admiration as he was at Michigan when I was at Michigan and is still performing at the highest level.  True, he was an undergrad and I was in grad school.

Feeling the growl again

Speaking of the maize and blue... I just finished reading Sub-4 (Chris Lear). It made me wonder if Webb would have been a better (more successful) 5k guy. Sort of like Ryan Hill. He was a miler in college but has moved up since graduating. He was in a great race last weekend (fast-forward to the 5:00 mark in the race).

Great book.  I believe my copy was autographed following my #2 all-time HM performance.

It was great reading the book because I could identify with all the workouts and times, as I ran a lot of the same workouts and locations.  The times quoted up the Arb hill are freakish in the extreme.

I'm not so sure he would have been a more successful 5K guy.  After all, he is now the American mile record holder.  Hard to argue with that.  I think he would have been more successful if he wasn't so….hate to say this…mentally fragile.  His head was his own worst enemy.

That was kind of what I was thinking. Even the AR came at some random meet in Belgium.

heh.. never watched the AR before.. He has a fleet of pacers and runs 400m solo.

Another fun book I read this year is "How To Race The Mile" sort of a brief collection of stories.

mentally fragile. 

kcam

My spidey-senses predict an assault on the Parklife All-Time Mile record in the near future.  Maybe the Beer Mile as well!?

I'll have to get my hands on those two books.

heh.. Im just training for the Olympics this year. Kind of want a better idea of what I'm watching.

I would stick with Chris Lear books. Easy read.

My spidey-senses predict an assault on the Parklife All-Time Mile record in the near future.  Maybe the Beer Mile as well!?

I'll have to get my hands on those two books.